Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild turkey population declining in Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    i would disagree with on that. having hunted for several years in Texas, eventually those odds (with too many hens) swing to the hunter's favor.

and i damn sure would rather be chasing henned up gobblers than listening to silence and seeing nothing.

CRC - I know what you meant but just dont see that as an issue. dont want to argue.
    Agree %100

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfoot View Post
    Heck he is covered up with em but I still have never heard a tale of successful hunt or seen a pic yet.You would have thought he would have accidently walked up on one and got a shot by now being there are soo many
    I expect he only "trophy turkey hunts",,,,,,hasn't seen one worthy of him killing it yet,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    I expect he only "trophy turkey hunts",,,,,,hasn't seen one worthy of him killing it yet,,,,,,,,,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Over the years I've migrated towards hens. If I have to choose between chasing a gobbler that I think may be by himself, or chasing one with hens, I'm heading towards the one with hens. Got no time for timid walk-away birds that are scared of a butt whupping if there is a lover boy and his harem around.
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
    Over the years I've migrated towards hens. If I have to choose between chasing a gobbler that I think may be by himself, or chasing one with hens, I'm heading towards the one with hens. Got no time for timid walk-away birds that are scared of a butt whupping if there is a lover boy and his harem around.
    I agree with you from a hunting success perspective, but the walk away birds need killing IMO. We don't need tight lipped, shy birds proliferating.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...

Quote Originally Posted by Buxndiverdux View Post
    I agree with you from a hunting success perspective, but the walk away birds need killing IMO. We don't need tight lipped, shy birds proliferating.
    They definitely need killing. But it's rare that I am successful with them. And I ain't got time fo' dat walk away game, typically.

The last day of the season last year, I saw a silent bird up on top of a hill in a cutover strutting. Didn't see any hens with him. But there was a 2nd gobbler with him. I watched his reaction as I sweetly (I thought) called to him. He dropped out of strut and both of them walked 180 degrees away from me.
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Old Mossy Horns

please everyone share your strategy for killing those tight lipped, walk away, shy birds.

I had another day last year where I got set up on a hard gobbling bird on the roost. And there were two more gobbling off to my left.

Long story short, they all 3 got together and walked off directly away from me, answering my pleading calls once in a while, till they were out of ear shot....

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    please everyone share your strategy for killing those tight lipped, walk away, shy birds.
    22-250............
    Sometimes you run into people who change your life for the better!! Most of the time you don't!!

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by wturkey01 View Post
    22-250............
    about the only cure. I like that thought.

the worst ones i have ever played with are the rios. when they walk by or away from you, flanking them is almost as hard as calling one back. and that seems to never happen.