Rifle restrictions proposed for Halifax County

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Be careful....if they don't fix that boat..you might have to trade it for a pack of fox walkers. :greenjump:

Funny
just got a call from them.
BTW it is still not fixed 100% that aside from it even looking close to a new boat.
Anyways out of the blue I got a call for me to show up with the boat they had paper work to get something done.
Not sure what and how but they need to boat and be to do paperwork and said it should make me happy.
Two things put out were they planned replace boat, full value trade for like model or full refund.
Who knows.
should know in a day. They also wanted to do it before the boat show this week. They may have got word I would be setting up and handing out flyers with the facts behind the boat.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They just don't have every tom, dick and harry from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Florida there sitting up every dang tree with a .300 short mag. . Too many outfitters and outsiders IMO.

Then why not fix the problem. The problem is not the gun, it is not the person that is safe and plays within the law.

The problem is the people.
They are the problem and banning rifle hunting will do nothing.
The same people will turn to something else and cause the same problem to people and other hunters.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I will tell you this. There ain't nothing but dog hunting clubs in SE Virginia and the still hunting is pretty dang awesome. They just don't have every tom, dick and harry from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Florida there sitting up every dang tree with a .300 short mag. Hunting in this state has gotten out of control weather it be still hunting or dog hunting. Too many outfitters and outsiders IMO.
I will tell you this. There ain't nothing but dog hunting clubs in SE Virginia and the still hunting is pretty dang awesome. They just don't have every tom, dick and harry from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Florida there sitting up every dang tree with a .300 short mag. Hunting in this state has gotten out of control weather it be still hunting or dog hunting. Too many outfitters and outsiders IMO.

Born and raised in Halifax County. Totally agree with your last two sentences. The "cool" factor of being a hunter these days has ruined the sport. Furthermore, I've delt with both still hunters and dog hunters breaking the laws on my property in Halifax County. More still hunter's trespassing than any other issue. So, beating that "end all Dog hunting" drum falls on deaf ears in my parts. As far as I'm concerned end all corn piles, gun use (bow only), and dogs. Let's then add you must own the land you hunt, or have permission with no renting of land for hunting purposes. That would work for me. All these laws being proposed are just a means of a few trying to end something they are against. Which is fine if that's what they choose to spend their energy on. However, call it what it is and stop being a bunch of politicians about it. At the same time sad considering the bigger issues facing this county, but that's another story for another day. Each tiny law is a way to end dog hunting. It's like the anti-gun vs gun argument. One side wants all these new laws, but can't understand that if the current ones were enforced a lot of the issues would be delt with. Another angle being worked is the "can't get their guns, take the ammo". They are scared because of voting and support to say they plan to end dog hunting, so they intend to place all these laws to make it almost impossible to participate in the sport. There are enough laws currently on the books in Halifax to deal with the law breakers. However, with 2 game wardens to handle all the work of the county it will never happen. Hence why they are looking to include local police and state troopers. Neither have the time nor energy to assist. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Then why not fix the problem. The problem is not the gun, it is not the person that is safe and plays within the law.

The problem is the people.
They are the problem and banning rifle hunting will do nothing.
The same people will turn to something else and cause the same problem to people and other hunters.
Your exactly right, and the same can be said for banning dog hunting.

The same bad element that are causing problems in the dog hunting community aren't going to go away if you ban dog hunting. They are going to become stand steeling, trespassing, camera steeling still hunters. So they need to be addressed as as what they are, poachers and criminals and not paint all with a broad brush.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

The same bad element that are causing problems in the dog hunting community aren't going to go away if you ban dog hunting. They are going to become stand steeling, trespassing, camera steeling still hunters. So they need to be addressed as as what they are, poachers and criminals and not paint all with a broad brush.

A lot of truth in this statement.

The "bad element" will probably always be with us in some form or fashion. There will always be some who can't (or won't), control themselves and live within the law......

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer

Bingo...

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
An unsafe shot is an unsafe shot. It doesn't matter if it's from the ground or 10-30 feet up a tree.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Based off this logic, how far would the point of impact be if shooting from a height of 120"?

It would be less. The point I was trying to make is a rifle shot from the ground in most hunting situations impact the ground at a relatively short distance, not a half mile like some people would want others to believe.

fats

Four Pointer
The problem that started all of this is a handful of renegades that think they are above the law. Secondly the Sheriff hasn't dealt with the problem. One of these guys has been arrested several times, has a serious record, but roams the streets. Third the people are scared to death about backlash from this that's why the renegades haven't been dealt with accordingly.

This isn't a dog hunting issue. Deal with the problem, don't try an implement blanket policies.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

correct.
But when a dog hunter wants to start talking about banning someone elses type of hunting or in this case ban rifles still hunters use......
If a hunter wants to take away you way then we can get fired up to take away his way....

It is the same as the NCBA fighting to stop crossbows, why support or help them when they dont want you to hunt.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
correct.
But when a dog hunter wants to start talking about banning someone elses type of hunting or in this case ban rifles still hunters use......
If a hunter wants to take away you way then we can get fired up to take away his way....

It is the same as the NCBA fighting to stop crossbows, why support or help them when they dont want you to hunt.

Y'all that want to ban dog hunting, remember the above when you say this. When dog hunters mention banning rifles maybe some of the hunters who are anti-dog get a taste of how it feels when someone is gunning for you. If we don't stick together, the anti-hunters are going to be the death to our hunting for us all. Just take a look at California, no lead, no dogs for any mammal. I'm really surprised they allow firearms.

I think I know where bertienchunter is coming from. Without rifles maybe there would be less outfitters catering to out of state hunters. They run the leases up so the local working man can hardly afford to hunt. Same way with people from metropolitan areas here in NC. People in rural areas general have a lower income. Hunters that live and work in these rural areas have to compete with leasing land with those that can afford to pay more. I know I grew up hunting with some what local dog clubs. Now, some of the out of state hunters have gotten even smarter and have figured out they(as a group) can offer more for a lease, than people here can afford and hunt the entire season for what one week at an outfitter would cost.

IMO, commercialization of hunting is going to be the ruin of it all. It has always been that way and will continue. Deer hunting today is moving toward what the duck clubs of the past were.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
What difference does all this make? Law states you can't shoot from a public maintained road but there are those who do. The law says you can't run up and down county roads on atvs but there are those who do, with loaded rifles. The law says you can't cut locks and trespass but there are those who do. My point is what makes anyone think local LEO will enforce this law if they turn a blind eye to the rest of the laws being broken.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What difference does all this make? Law states you can't shoot from a public maintained road but there are those who do. The law says you can't run up and down county roads on atvs but there are those who do, with loaded rifles. The law says you can't cut locks and trespass but there are those who do. My point is what makes anyone think local LEO will enforce this law if they turn a blind eye to the rest of the laws being broken.

The issue is not with LEO's it is with the joke of a court system we have. The officers know half of the things they write folks for will be tossed out of court, or reduced to nothing. That makes the goal for them writing things that will result in a conviction. Why spend time on the little stuff.... when they have bigger fish to fry. There are not enough of them to police the turf they have.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Y'all that want to ban dog hunting, remember the above when you say this. When dog hunters mention banning rifles maybe some of the hunters who are anti-dog get a taste of how it feels when someone is gunning for you. If we don't stick together, the anti-hunters are going to be the death to our hunting for us all. Just take a look at California, no lead, no dogs for any mammal. I'm really surprised they allow firearms.

I think I know where bertienchunter is coming from. Without rifles maybe there would be less outfitters catering to out of state hunters. They run the leases up so the local working man can hardly afford to hunt. Same way with people from metropolitan areas here in NC. People in rural areas general have a lower income. Hunters that live and work in these rural areas have to compete with leasing land with those that can afford to pay more. I know I grew up hunting with some what local dog clubs. Now, some of the out of state hunters have gotten even smarter and have figured out they(as a group) can offer more for a lease, than people here can afford and hunt the entire season for what one week at an outfitter would cost.

IMO, commercialization of hunting is going to be the ruin of it all. It has always been that way and will continue. Deer hunting today is moving toward what the duck clubs of the past were.

Spot on.....I don't have any problem paying my dues but a lot of people do. Outfitters and out of towners have increased lease prices so much that I don't care if I ever see another outfitter sign or out of towner again honestly. That just my opinion. No body has to agree with me and if you don't I really don't give a hoot.

To Mr. Gadgets point I use a rifle all the time and still hunt more than I hunt with dogs but I would give my rifle up in a heartbeat if I had to vote on it tomorrow.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Spot on.....I don't have any problem paying my dues but a lot of people do. Outfitters and out of towners have increased lease prices so much that I don't care if I ever see another outfitter sign or out of towner again honestly. That just my opinion. No body has to agree with me and if you don't I really don't give a hoot.

[emoji122] ..........

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS

Not that it matters to me, but I think that is a county by county law. When I was hunting in Franklin Co. in at least a portion of the county you could hunt from the right of way as long as you had written permission from the landowners of the property "abutting that road". And at that time it applied to both sides of the road. Just a clarification and I believe that is still the case there. Some of you guys that hunt Franklin can set this straight, but it is certainly not a state law.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

To Mr. Gadgets point I use a rifle all the time and still hunt more than I hunt with dogs but I would give my rifle up in a heartbeat if I had to vote on it tomorrow.

I am not an outfitter but I am an "Out of Towner" to Halifax county. Enfield and the surrounding area have been my hunting home for 39 years. I cut my hunting teeth there and still do to this day. My 3 kids have all cut there teeth on the same property. We have dumped a lot of money in the Halifax economy over 3 generations and 45+ years. We have leased land from the same family for over 45 years. I have a lot of friends in Halifax and we are not driving the price of land up. Outfitters and companies like Valentines Timber are driving prices up. I am going to keep being an OUT OF TOWNER in Halifax and if the locals don't like that.......I do not give a HOOT either.

GregC

Six Pointer
This is why I wasn't a fan of Sunday hunting - especially bordering VA that has a shorter season than us. Our landowners won't allow Sunday hunting but bet that changes if someone offers them a lot money. More outfitters and more lease cost - I belong to a club that dog and still hunts. I agree this law won't do much - just punishes the law obeying guys. We have to get more vocal and passionate about changes to our sport or our opponents are going to beat us.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I am not an outfitter but I am an "Out of Towner" to Halifax county. Enfield and the surrounding area have been my hunting home for 39 years. I cut my hunting teeth there and still do to this day. My 3 kids have all cut there teeth on the same property. We have dumped a lot of money in the Halifax economy over 3 generations and 45+ years. We have leased land from the same family for over 45 years. I have a lot of friends in Halifax and we are not driving the price of land up. Outfitters and companies like Valentines Timber are driving prices up. I am going to keep being an OUT OF TOWNER in Halifax and if the locals don't like that.......I do not give a HOOT either.

Not to sound like I am backing water on my statement but in your particular situation I really don't consider you an out of towner if you been hunting their that long. ITs more or less these people that started coming around in the last 10-12 years paying unheard of amounts of money for a tract of land just to get it out from under other people. The outfitters are doing it right now. I know they are paying $26/acre in some places in Hertford, Bertie and NOCO. And yes Mr. Valentine is a snake in the grass. He is out to get everything he can get and don't care how many enemies he makes in the process. I can tell you that many people have had bad dealings.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Not to sound like I am backing water on my statement but in your particular situation I really don't consider you an out of towner if you been hunting their that long. ITs more or less these people that started coming around in the last 10-12 years paying unheard of amounts of money for a tract of land just to get it out from under other people. The outfitters are doing it right now. I know they are paying $26/acre in some places in Hertford, Bertie and NOCO. And yes Mr. Valentine is a snake in the grass. He is out to get everything he can get and don't care how many enemies he makes in the process. I can tell you that many people have had bad dealings.

Skippy is the definition of an arsehole. I am suprised he is still in businees.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Skippy is the definition of an arsehole. I am suprised he is still in businees.

His old man was a major land tycoon in Wake and surrounding counties for years. I'm talking big time money. Not just your average millionaire on paper. Skip isn't going anywhere.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
His old man was a major land tycoon in Wake and surrounding counties for years. I'm talking big time money. Not just your average millionaire on paper. Skip isn't going anywhere.

I have have the displeasure of being well informed/aquainted with Val and Skippy. It has been a few years but the last I had Val had pulled the plug and Skip had run through most of what his mom had. I don't know if this was true but he supposedly was selling Yeti coolers to pay for a new wshing machine. This came from my buddy who worked for him.