Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How was your season?

Default How was your season?

I had a good season myself. Saw lots of bucks, mostly young bucks. I did manage to kill a fat 6 point and a fair 8 point with the smokepole. Thus making it 3 of the last 4 years with only doe tags in my pocket for gun season. I did also manage to double on does three times this season. I ended up with 8 deer in the freezer.

What say you about your season?

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pcbuckhunter; 01-05-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Better overkill than underkill!!

Never pulled the trigger but did put my wife on an 8pt and another friend on a pretty nice 9pt. I saw a couple basket racks and a ton of does which I had another friend hunting with me who took out 4 of them for the food bank he is involved with. Even though I never shot it was probably one of the best seasons I've had in many years.
    "Nothing runs like a deer except a Walker"

Two for meat, blessed to have spent sunrises with my family listening to the world wake up.

Twelve Pointer

Doe sightings and harvest where normal for the most part. Didn't kill as many as normal but by choice. Bucks different story. First time in many years I did not harvest at least one mature buck. Saw probably 50+ bucks and only two that I would consider shooters. Not a good shot offered on one and passed on the other on two different occasions (was hoping son or daughter would get). Still had a lot of fun and have two more days in Va to get that buck.

Twelve Pointer

I saw a few small bucks but never pulled the trigger this season

Four Pointer

Took 4 Bucks in rifle and (Eastern) and 1 Doe in Archery. Also missed a doe in archery because i drew back as she was walking towards me and held me 40 yard pin as she walked in to 20 yards. Shot right over her back and could have kicked myself when i realized what i did. Beginner mistake. The doe that i did take was a week after the missed doe, and was my first archery deer. Only other animal i have taken with a bow was a skunk i saw from the stand that was acting rabid.

Really good season overall, my best in 7 years of hunting.

The season was ok, just ok. Didn't pull the trigger on a NC deer, by choice, and had pretty bad luck on some out of town hunts as well.
    I just didn't "get into" this season as I have some in the past, not sure why but it seems to be becoming a more frequent thing. Since we don't eat but maybe a 1/2 deer a year at my house the absence of fresh venison isn't a major factor in determining a successful season.
    The weather was pretty bad, the company was good, the mature deer sightings dreary and discouraging, the quality of hunting was dismal at best and the hours spent that I felt were enjoyable were pretty darn few in comparison to those that I had to just plain endure.
    I don't know if it's an age thing, a deer quality thing, or just a situational thing that will pass....but it's my hope that there's a drastic change that comes down the pike or there will be a drastic change in the way I deer hunt in the near future. I deer hunt to enjoy deer hunting, and if that's not happening then I need to rethink my hunting strategy as a whole.

it has been...interesting. I've killed 6 does, my wife has killed 2 does. I missed a big 10 pt Oct 29, and skipped an arrow off the back of an even bigger 8 pt on Nov 9th. It has been very frustrating, but I have seen more big deer this year than in the last 5 years combined. I still have until the 10th to get it done...still trying.

Struck out in both ML and archery season but did ok in Rifle by taking 3 bucks and 2 does. Wife struck out all season but youngest daughter managed to take a nice doe on the youth day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six Pointer

Bad. Seen the least amount of deer movement in 18 years. SO many hunts with no sightings. No rutting activity. WAY to hot to bow hunt much. Got access blocked on game lands. So instead of walking 50-150 yards to my spot, its now 1.5 miles. My saving grace, moving my stand and bagging a doe 4 days later, then bagging a bobcat 6 days after that. Only reason it wasn't a terrible, worst season ever But still bad
    Last edited by Luv2Boutdoors!; 01-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.