Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth the cost???

Four Pointer

Default Worth the cost???

Is the pattern master choke worth the money? With deer season out I am shifting to shooting some ducks and also a booked snow goose trip with Capt Froggy. I have been thinking about buying one of these chokes for my SBE II. Any advice from the avid waterfowlers here?

Do you have the Mod choke that came with the gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbum82 View Post
    Do you have the Mod choke that came with the gun?
    Yes, that is what I have been using in the past to shoot ducks with.

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

Your factory choke should be fine. But me personally, comp-n-choke or mullers are the only after market chokes I will put in my guns.

But to answer your question, no it's not worth the cost if it's just for one trip. Factory choke will work just fine. And honestly, if half the people out there that buy these aftermarket chokes patterned their guns, they'd find there is very little difference in performance from a aftermarket choke vs the factory choke.
    Last edited by darkthirty; 01-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Default Worth the cost???

Quote Originally Posted by darkthirty View Post
    Your factory choke should be fine. But me personally, comp-n-choke or mullers are the only after market chokes I will put in my guns.

But to answer your question, no it's not worth the cost if it's just for one trip. Factory choke will work just fine. And honestly, if half the people out there that buy these aftermarket chokes patterned their guns, they'd find there is very little difference in performance from a aftermarket choke vs the factory choke.
    I sent my Beretta to Rob Roberts and my factory choke performed better than all the aftermarket chokes except the T2 and the difference was minimal.

Last edited by Troutbum82; 01-06-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Four Pointer

I run the hevi shot choke tubes in my sbe ll along with about everyone I hunt with. For me it was an improvement over the factory choke.

Funny this came up because I just bought my first pattern master a week and a half ago. The next day I took it hunting and we had a 3 man limit of birds by 9am (no woodies) and there was only 1 cripple. The place where this hunt went down usually involves longer shots so I use my Carlsons long range tube. We actually take a seperate bag of old rusted shells to be used as "Cripple shells" because we normally have a decent bit of cripples to finish off. I can tell you first hand that patternmasters do what they advertise. I did also pattern the tube and it was much better than my carlsons long range tube (thats my gun though). I dont think I would use it in a swamp though, need to get a different patternmaster now for that!. For the record the tube I got was a Patternmaster Code Black Duck for the Browning Maxus.

The friend I was hunting with (and always have) has a thing against anything expensive... Camo, guns, shells, coolers, scopes, etc etc you name it, anything that is expensive he scoffs at. After our hunt he was so impressed that he started looking for one to put in his 870. Likewise as crazy as it sounds we could pretty much tell who shot what birds because if it was a cripple, then it was him or my wife that shot it. That day we shot limits, which was also my first time shooting the choke tube, I had killed 5 ducks in 8 minutes and that included a double. Part of the reason I got the tube is because I have not felt good about my shooting this year, after patterning my Carlsons choke tubes again I decided I wanted to try something else out and boy and I glad I did.
    Last edited by Smitty010203; 01-05-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbum82 View Post
    I sent my Beretta to Rob Roberts and my factory choked performed better than all the aftermarket choked except the T2 and the difference was minimal.

I sent you a pm regarding ?'s about RR. Lemme know if you got it. Something was squirrelly when I went to send it. Thinking about sending them one.
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

Let me know how it goes with groggy man. What are your dates? In stuck between him and fourth generation

My buddy has a patternmaster and his gun is noticeably louder than anyone elses. Its bad.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...