Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth the cost???

I have a PM tube (and several other aftermarket tubes) and I would say to save your money. The choke is only one part of the puzzle and will not magically make your gun better.

If you really want to be able to make long consistent shots you need to plan on spending time to work out what load and what tube work best with what gun. I tried 5 different tubes (lot of friends and we swapped tubes around) and 13 different loads until I found what performed best in that gun. With a different gun, the same load and tube were crap. My SBEI has an original PM and shoots very consistent patterns out to 65 yards with either Federal 3" 1 1/4oz #2, or Hevi-Metal #2. If I change the speed or size shot the patterns fail. My Baikal works best with a Kicks High Flyer tube, but it likes smaller shot. All of this took a lot of time and effort to determine.

Once you know for a fact that your gun will shoot a consistent pattern at a longer yardage, and you are using a shot that still carries enough energy to get the job done at that longer range, then you actually need to practice at those ranges. On trap fields the longest station is 27 yards from the trap house - which means you will probably be seeing the target at 35 yards and shooting around 40. If the trap range will let you, step back another 10 yard and shoot a full round. You will probably not do very well at first, but you will start to see the sort of lead needed to hit targets at long range.

Quote Originally Posted by Buxndiverdux View Post
    My buddy has a patternmaster and his gun is noticeably louder than anyone elses. Its bad.
    That's part of the killing power. Whatever you're shooting at has a heart attack from the sound waves.

OP, My factory chokes out preformed every aftermarket choke I tried. I also found that #3's and BB's are my best shot sizes. It cost a few dollars, but you can find a load that will preform in a factory set up.
    Last edited by ChasinTrophies; 01-05-2017 at 09:45 PM.

My factory chokes looking back did pretty dang good compared out the 5 tubes I tested prior to my patternmaster. I patterned IC and M tubes 4 years ago and still have the paper from each one sitting beside me right now. Shot real big sheets of blue print paper and its sitting here at my office. As for the sound of a patternmaster, I had not noticed that issue, no one else mentioned anything either. The one I have is ported too.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Encwaterfowl View Post
    Let me know how it goes with groggy man. What are your dates? In stuck between him and fourth generation
    We are going on march 18th, I have hunted with 4th generation. We did not have good luck hunting that day but aaron Matthews is a great guy. I wanted to try some where else this year and Froggy was cheaper. I think he might still have an opening or two for the 18th, his Saturdays are about full though.

Four Pointer

Thanks for all the input, I have been shooting BB's only for the last few years, but I see I am going to need to do my home work to see what really works well in my gun. I am one of those guys that buys whatever shells are on sale. Mostly Winchester in the past, I do have some hevi metal ones as well. Maybe after season I can take some time and drag out some paper and really put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappertod View Post
    Thanks for all the input, I have been shooting BB's only for the last few years, but I see I am going to need to do my home work to see what really works well in my gun. I am one of those guys that buys whatever shells are on sale. Mostly Winchester in the past, I do have some hevi metal ones as well. Maybe after season I can take some time and drag out some paper and really put it to the test.
    My gun patterns Winchester cheap shot as well as it does any other shells. Just as long as they're #3's or BB's. And yes I know, the cheap shells are often not a true size, but they still shoot better than 2's or 4's of expensive brands through my factory modified.
    Titus 2:11-12

"Ain't nothin' like watchin' the woods wake up from a tree stand..." - Pops

Four Pointer

Kicks High Flyer

Have a pattern master
    But my SBE11 shoots the Kicks choke better
    No matter
    Hevi Metal or cheap Experts

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Buxndiverdux View Post
    My buddy has a patternmaster and his gun is noticeably louder than anyone elses. Its bad.
    Don't be hating on Captain Square Bullets! 😂

Spike

I patterned quit a few shotguns. The back bored guns will pattern the best. I have Brownings and 1 benelli sbe2. I can't get a good pattern out of the benelli with any tube I tried.

Keep spending those dollars..$1000 gun and a $100 choke won't replace poor mechanics and consistency....shooting a 26 yr old 870, cheap Kent shells and a factory mod. Choke....so far batting 85% on ducks.... let em work in close and shoot em 6" off the water....if they won't come in close you need to find a new hole to hunt
    1 Timothy 4:12-"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in more?