Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth the cost???

Eight Pointer

Beretta A400 with factory mod choke and 3" 1 fasteel patterns good for me. I have tried a couple aftermarket chokes and wasn't impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrdneck View Post
    let em work in close and shoot em 6" off the water....if they won't come in close you need to find a new hole to hunt
    Everyone doesn't hunt mud puddles. 6" off the water and close sounds good but isn't the way it works all the time.

Don't waste your money, I bought a 870 that came with a pattern master choke missed more ducks with it then I can count switched back to a factory modified and the dead ducks tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    I have a PM tube (and several other aftermarket tubes) and I would say to save your money. The choke is only one part of the puzzle and will not magically make your gun better.

If you really want to be able to make long consistent shots you need to plan on spending time to work out what load and what tube work best with what gun. I tried 5 different tubes (lot of friends and we swapped tubes around) and 13 different loads until I found what performed best in that gun. With a different gun, the same load and tube were crap. My SBEI has an original PM and shoots very consistent patterns out to 65 yards with either Federal 3" 1 1/4oz #2, or Hevi-Metal #2. If I change the speed or size shot the patterns fail. My Baikal works best with a Kicks High Flyer tube, but it likes smaller shot. All of this took a lot of time and effort to determine.

Once you know for a fact that your gun will shoot a consistent pattern at a longer yardage, and you are using a shot that still carries enough energy to get the job done at that longer range, then you actually need to practice at those ranges. On trap fields the longest station is 27 yards from the trap house - which means you will probably be seeing the target at 35 yards and shooting around 40. If the trap range will let you, step back another 10 yard and shoot a full round. You will probably not do very well at first, but you will start to see the sort of lead needed to hit targets at long range.
    This is solid advise! You absolutely must put all your gun/choke/shells combos on paper for a true representation. Hats off to those who make the effort to do so!
    Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH

you have a bigger problem than which choke to use. If you booked with Froggy it will not much matter, you will not shoot very much if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydemarsh View Post
    you have a bigger problem than which choke to use. If you booked with Froggy it will not much matter, you will not shoot very much if at all.
    Should he have chosen your guide service?
    Titus 2:11-12

"Ain't nothin' like watchin' the woods wake up from a tree stand..." - Pops

Quote Originally Posted by ChasinTrophies View Post
    Should he have chosen your guide service?
    I am not a guide, I happen to talk with many disgruntled clients. He does not live in Hyde and rarely do his clients kill birds. Just a warning, if you do not respect your money it is fine with me.

Four Pointer

I went with another guide a few years ago and did not shoot but once and killed one bird. Me and my son will have fun whether we shoot or not. I am willing to try Froggy, he is booked solid with many repeats so he must have something going on. In my experience when it comes to hunting whether alone or with a guide, it is never a guarantee. If it was a guarantee then it would be called killing. Every one knows that if you want to pile them up like on TV you gotta pay a lot more money and travel much farther.

I am not a guide, I happen to talk with many disgruntled clients. He does not live in Hyde and rarely do his clients kill birds. Just a warning, if you do not respect your money it is fine with me.
    I just assumed that with your intense knowledge of Hyde county ducking that you must be a guide or maybe a game warden.
    Titus 2:11-12

"Ain't nothin' like watchin' the woods wake up from a tree stand..." - Pops

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

Heard same thing too but I ain't no guide either. Lol
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by EGrdneck View Post
    let em work in close and shoot em 6" off the water....if they won't come in close you need to find a new hole to hunt
    That may work in flooded timber, or in swamps, but it doesn't usually work that way on big lakes, or down at the outer banks.
    When were old rocking on the porch re-living all our glory, you may have a few less scars but I'll have better stories........