Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for when scouting??

Four Pointer

Default What to look for when scouting??

I'm relatively new to turkey hunting so my question is what do you look for? I know to look for scratching and j type poop. Just want to hear from someone with experience. Also do your scouting tactics change as season gets closer?

Best thing to look for are Turkeys! LOL seriously I always look for them. Then as season gets closer go out early and listen for gobbling.

Let the little ones walk, shoot a doe!!
    www.twinoakshuntingclub.com

Remember the good old days when DB Cooper jumped out of an air plane, never ever to be heard from again...ever?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

It is likely the turkeys you see now will be somewhere different in the Spring. Different foods and closer to nesting habitat.
    Shooting 2012 ELITE Answer

Twelve Pointer

Scouting this early is really useless unless you don't know how the property lays I would try to learn this as far as fence row creeks deep hollars that may hang a bird up other than that spring is all about change. From mid March all way through season things are changing birds will change from winter feeding areas to hens going in to their nesting areas and of course the toms will follow as April gets closer you'll have no problem finding birds I'm not real familiar with your area but here we get our first peak of gobbling somewhere between March 25 and April 1st I always get out couple mornings that week being at a high spot before daylight to take listen usually where I hear them APril 1st they will be in same general area opening day because breeding has started heavy still got some jockeying between mature birds so gobbling is strong. I have no desire to call at birds because they are so anxious to get with hen they will come running in no need to spook them before gun in hand I will listen at daylight and hang around and may hit crow call little later just to see where they end up off the roost as well as know which travel route they are taking key to killing birds consistantly is being where they want to go or getting in the way of where they are going. I'm not someone who goes in after March 20th or so looking for droppings or scratching because I don't like busting them just listen from distance let them do their thing till got gun in hand

Scouting now should focus on learning the lay of the land,,, it will come in handy if your a mobile hunter,,,,,,if your preference is a blind and decoys then less helpful
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

woodmoose and jlewis are right
    Hunting in the Sandhills and Foothills of NC

Eight Pointer

Your eyes and your ears will be your best friend.

Public or private land?

Boot leather is the way.

Old Mossy Horns

look for them on drizzly days in fields, they love to hang out in them after or during light rains.

ask anyone who sees the land you hunt where they see birds.

they leave nice tracks in sand.

trail cams on bait piles will tell you exactly what you have now.

but none of that is as fun or as valuable as pre season listening.

and do what you want but passive listening isnt for me.

if they dont gobble on their own i use a locator call to "help them"

i enjoy scouting a lot. i never seem to screw that up as bad as i can the actual hunt.