Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacation planning

Quote Originally Posted by jug View Post
    April 20 thru 30th is prime time just about anywhere if you are hunting NC........ in my experience. I think opening week is good but sometime opening week can be a dud. Most turkeys that I have killed have always been between the 20th to the 30th.
    I always love hunting April 20something.

Twelve Pointer

[QUOTE=oldest school;1795730]since you were very specific in locations you have folks here that can really help with the timing.

all ii know is that there are a lot of them dead after a week of youth and regular season.

This will be worse ever for the birds since the NC opener is earliest possible its just to early they don't have enough time to get breeding in before youth week starts

Old Mossy Horns

[QUOTE=turkeyfoot;1795994]
    Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    since you were very specific in locations you have folks here that can really help with the timing.

all ii know is that there are a lot of them dead after a week of youth and regular season.

This will be worse ever for the birds since the NC opener is earliest possible its just to early they don't have enough time to get breeding in before youth week starts
    worst ever in terms of reproduction but in terms of killing one the best time?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    I always love hunting April 20something.
    I seem to kill one more often in the 20's, than any other time, but I agree with OS that opening week is not bad. Statistically, there are more birds to kill opening week, and taking that week for vacation gives you all of the info and scouting for the rest of the season. It will get you a jump start on the learning curve since this is your first year.

Twelve Pointer

First week, still lots of lets say more enthusiastic 2 year olds. Can be good but birds may be henned up. Last week of season seems the biggest birds are killed that have lost all their gals and get lonely. Gobbling will peak and fall all season so its really a crapshoot.

normally from my experience I have the best luck the first and third weeks of turkey season. It tends to be the end of the third week too. The last couple I have tagged out in the first week though so its hard to say.