Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: flintlock season in North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    if your referencing my comment,,,I gave no "biological reason",,,I said "different state, different traditions, different requirements"

my reference to people fretting on the deer herd was a reference to other threads,,,,,,,

and I understand what a flintlock is,,,,and iron sights,,,,have one or 4 of them myself,,,,,,,,
    I wasn't referencing your comment directly, more of an overall summation of what I was hearing in people's responses. I agree in some parts of the state, no additional pressure is needed. Where I hunt in the east, we were covered up in deer. No quality, but tons of quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
    You do realize that a really large chunk of NC has only three weeks of rifle season, starting the week of Thanksgiving, and with ALL deer hunting ending the second week of December?
    oh yes Sir I sure do realize that,,,,and personally could care less if the whole state had that,,,,but that is a different story,,,,,

and I don't consider 19 counties out of 100 a "large chunk" in number nor are they a large chunk in area,,,,,,

and you do realize that the highways take you to other parts of the state right? where one can hunt all one wants in other seasons,,,,,,,

I traveled to the mountains to turkey hunt back when my county, and the surrounding counties, didn't have turkeys or a turkey season,,,,,,just the way life goes - folks live where they want to live and deal with all the benefits AND lack of benefits that area provides,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by woodmoose; 01-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

oh yes Sir I sure do realize that,,,,and personally could care less if the whole state had that,,,,but that is a different story,,,,,

and I don't consider 19 counties out of 100 a "large chunk" in number nor are they a large chunk in area,,,,,,

and you do realize that the highways take you to other parts of the state right? where one can hunt all one wants in other seasons,,,,,,,

I traveled to the mountains to turkey hunt back when my county, and the surrounding counties, didn't have turkeys or a turkey season,,,,,,just the way life goes - folks live where they want to live and deal with all the benefits AND lack of benefits that area provides,,,,,,,,
    Yes sir, I travel to the Piedmont every year to hunt, partly for that very reason. And if you took to walking from Marion to Murphy, you might change your mind about the large chunk of country. Especially when you consider that God loved hillbillies so much that he stacked the land up in piles for us.

it's only 4 hours or so to southern PA...
    I wish that were true. I live pretty close to the VA line, and 4 hours only gets you to Warrenton, VA. Then you still have northern VA, WVA, and Maryland to go. If you don't stop and have no traffic issues (good luck on I95) you can get to the PA state line in 6. Add more for arriving at where you are really going to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
    ,,,,,,,. Especially when you consider that God loved hillbillies so much that he stacked the land up in piles for us.
    there ya go!!

I grew up hunting mountains/big ridges,,,,,,,,love that country,,,,,,but alas work has me down this way in the swamps and sand!

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

Quote Originally Posted by stiab View Post
    I wish that were true. I live pretty close to the VA line, and 4 hours only gets you to Warrenton, VA. Then you still have northern VA, WVA, and Maryland to go. If you don't stop and have no traffic issues (good luck on I95) you can get to the PA state line in 6. Add more for arriving at where you are really going to hunt.
    dang,,,I live in sounthern NC and 4 hours gets me to Richmond,,,,,,

but heck,,,lets' call it 5 1/2 hours,,,,Winston Salem to Greencastle,,,,,there ya go

but anyhow,,,you knew were I was going,,,,,a half day drive from NC and you can deer hunt from August to end of January,,,,,,,

dang,,,I live in sounthern NC and 4 hours gets me to Richmond,,,,,,

but heck,,,lets' call it 5 1/2 hours,,,,Winston Salem to Greencastle,,,,,there ya go

but anyhow,,,you knew were I was going,,,,,a half day drive from NC and you can deer hunt from August to end of January,,,,,,,
    Oh yeah, I knew where you were going with it, just applying some reality from my 100 or more real life experiences making that trip. Your 4 hours to Richmond only leaves you 3 more. The Warrenton VA I mentioned is far north of Richmond. I've done it from Winston-Salem also (and Greensboro and Lexington). With minimum stops and good traffic, it's at least 6.5 from W-S, regardless of what a computer may tell you. The place I'm stopping is off 81 just north of Greencastle PA, where I will be soon be attending a gunshow.

Now back to the topic at hand, the flintlock season in PA...

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by chrispowell View Post
    I like the idea of a time dedicated solely to a true primitive firearm. Pennsylvania's seems pretty popular, based on the Youtube videos I watch (I'll put a plug in for the leatherwood outdoors channel for those interested). So no, 2 1/2 months aren't enough for me. I hunt regularly from September to January and I could easily go a couple more weeks for a flintlock only season.
    It's popular in PA because their rifle season is only two weeks long.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispowell View Post
    Pennsylvania has a flintlock season from late December to the end of January. This is in addition to their muzzle loader season they have in early fall. I'd like to see something similar in North Carolina. To me it's a cool way to have a truly primitive firearm season, extend the hunting season, without deer numbers being affected too dramatically. Does anyone know if there is a biological or political reason why we couldn't do something similar here? Just curious.

That ship sailed years ago, use your flintlock when muzzleloading comes in and go hunt whole season with it...

No different than archery, when they went away from recurves and let every kind of gadget you can hang on
    a bow be legal, true bow hunting stopped...

What kind of flinter do you have???

Twelve Pointer

Lets not forget to add a season for tomahawks,spears, atlatl, harpoons and lances.