Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunt with the Daniel Defense Ambush .308?

Spike

Default Anyone hunt with the Daniel Defense Ambush .308?

Surprisingly there are very few reviews online from actual hunters who have actually hunted with the Daniel Defense Ambush .308 so I was hoping maybe one of you have done so or know someone who has done so. I was thinking of maybe adding a modern sporting rifle to my arsenal that I can hunt both deer and hogs with and this is one rifle on my list to check out. Thanks for your help. And if any of you googlers are more adept at internet searches than I am, and you find a link to a review of the gun specifically for hunting applications (not tactical, service, or target shooting applications) please post the link. Thanks!

Dont just look for that gun by name.
    Most just say they use and hunt with a 308 AR or AR 10 maybe a 308 MSR

It is like people talking about an AR 15 when that is not written on the gun. They are just a style or type.

Used a M&P 10 and an AR in 556 or 300 blk. Even a M1A
    all worked just fine.
    All Info and Rants Copyright 2017 Mr.Gadget
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    www.nra.org

www.n-ssa.org

www.militaryappreciationday.org

Ive used an AR15. No reason an AR 10 wont get it done easily.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    Dont just look for that gun by name.
    Most just say they use and hunt with a 308 AR or AR 10 maybe a 308 MSR

It is like people talking about an AR 15 when that is not written on the gun. They are just a style or type.

Used a M&P 10 and an AR in 556 or 300 blk. Even a M1A
    all worked just fine.
    I don't buy a gun based only on name. A good number of folks probably don't see too many bolt actions from the manufacturer that mine is from. I more or less would like to try something that others might buy based on name in case I'm not a fan of it. I know I will never get 100% of my investment back. But if I don't like the AR platform for hunting I feel like I would get more of my money back taking it to a show and trying to unload it to someone who is all about the name. It's kind of a hedge I guess.

I guess, in an effort to really get at what I'm after, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences hunting with an AR versus a traditional bolt action. Maybe even narrow it down to any differences you notice between the two, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by broodc2 View Post
    I don't buy a gun based only on name. A good number of folks probably don't see too many bolt actions from the manufacturer that mine is from. I more or less would like to try something that others might buy based on name in case I'm not a fan of it. I know I will never get 100% of my investment back. But if I don't like the AR platform for hunting I feel like I would get more of my money back taking it to a show and trying to unload it to someone who is all about the name. It's kind of a hedge I guess.

I guess, in an effort to really get at what I'm after, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences hunting with an AR versus a traditional bolt action. Maybe even narrow it down to any differences you notice between the two, if any.
    I dont know what all that stuff you said in the first part of this post is.....was just telling you what to google.
    All I was saying was to google like you ask AR 10 hunting and not just the DD rifle you ask about.

As to using an AR for hunting or MSR they are great.
    They hold up, in a lot of cases easier to handle and carry lighter and more compact.
    Works great when deer hunting and you have pigs or a k9 hit the field.
    the angle of the grip is easier for hunting if you ask me. They fit most stands easy and adjust to fit anyone and anything. Use a QD if you like open sights also and pull the scope and replace as needed.

Normal AR 15 can be changed easy and fast to fit any need from hard hitting big bullets to screaming fast light bullets form light weight carry to heavy bench. All very easy.
    Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 01-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Don't have a DD in 308, but I do have their m4v11 in 5.56. It's a good gun but IMO nit worth the money given what else is out there. I wouldn't get stuck on a brand name. I bought the ar I have because it is a good looking gun, but it doesn't do anything any better then any of the other ars I have. Again I wold seriously look at this big picture and I personally just don't see the need for an ar in 308 or any other caliber. My bolt guns work fine and I have yet to encounter a hunting situation where I felt the need for more then a couple of rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When we (man) experienced our fall from grace, God endowed the dog with all the properties initially intended for us...honesty, loyalty, nobility etc. and made the dog our best friend to be kept by our side so that we could see what strengths of character we could aspire to....but never quite achieve.....

Ive used my DPMS ar10 and it's a solid gun. Any of the ar10s will be fine for deer hunting but be aware that if you have one with the shorter 16 inch barrel that there is a huge difference in the velocity over what the ammo makers advertise and that results in more drop. Ammo that yields 2740fps in a 24 inch test barrel only chrono's for 2290fps through my 16 inch ar10.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by TravisLH View Post
    Ive used my DPMS ar10 and it's a solid gun. Any of the ar10s will be fine for deer hunting but be aware that if you have one with the shorter 16 inch barrel that there is a huge difference in the velocity over what the ammo makers advertise and that results in more drop. Ammo that yields 2740fps in a 24 inch test barrel only chrono's for 2290fps through my 16 inch ar10.

I think this will be the biggest thing to get used to. My go-to right now is a bolt action .25-06 with a 24 inch barrel. I'm wondering if the shorter barrel AR setups would take some getting used to. But then again my longest shots are maybe around 200 yards. I like the thought of everything positive about them that Mr. Gadget mentioned in his post, especially carrying lighter and more compact and maneuvering in the stand. I love my bolt action but that 24 inch barrel seems a lot longer when i'm in tight quarters.

Carrying and loading a separate magazine also sounds appealing. protects the round in transport. But I'm wondering if charging can be done as carefully and quietly as with a bolt action. I think I just need to get some range time with the AR platform maybe.

Only getting used to is adjusting for the shorter barrel, if possible shoot it through a chrono to get the true fps read. Then its just a matter of plugging the true fps into any number of free programs to give you the drop for 200yards

Remember
    my thinking is there is no one gun fits all use or the likes.

For me in the woods 150 max the AR platform is great, I love it. Also in a tree stand.
    Most the times I carry a heavy bolt gun with a 20 to 26 barrel but a 300 blk AR is real nice when I have a long walk or sitting in a small ladder or climbing stand.

Because I have shot so much and play with a lot of guns I could pick the gun of the day to hit a target and most cases do just fine and make it work.

I look at it like this.
    If you ever drive a big truck say 2500 or 3500 4d lb then you never forget it.
    but if you have not and only drive a toyota casket car then it is a hard adjustment period to move to an oversized truck.

Same with guns, people that have shot a bunch see no problems, yet if what a person does it shoot heavy bench guns then they will need to make adjustments to pick up the fit and feel of a shorter lighter gun.
    All Info and Rants Copyright 2017 Mr.Gadget
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    www.nra.org

www.n-ssa.org

www.militaryappreciationday.org