Anyone hunt with the Daniel Defense Ambush .308?

broodc2

Four Pointer
Surprisingly there are very few reviews online from actual hunters who have actually hunted with the Daniel Defense Ambush .308 so I was hoping maybe one of you have done so or know someone who has done so. I was thinking of maybe adding a modern sporting rifle to my arsenal that I can hunt both deer and hogs with and this is one rifle on my list to check out. Thanks for your help. And if any of you googlers are more adept at internet searches than I am, and you find a link to a review of the gun specifically for hunting applications (not tactical, service, or target shooting applications) please post the link. Thanks!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Dont just look for that gun by name.
Most just say they use and hunt with a 308 AR or AR 10 maybe a 308 MSR

It is like people talking about an AR 15 when that is not written on the gun. They are just a style or type.

Used a M&P 10 and an AR in 556 or 300 blk. Even a M1A
all worked just fine.

broodc2

Four Pointer
Dont just look for that gun by name.
Most just say they use and hunt with a 308 AR or AR 10 maybe a 308 MSR

It is like people talking about an AR 15 when that is not written on the gun. They are just a style or type.

Used a M&P 10 and an AR in 556 or 300 blk. Even a M1A
all worked just fine.

I don't buy a gun based only on name. A good number of folks probably don't see too many bolt actions from the manufacturer that mine is from. I more or less would like to try something that others might buy based on name in case I'm not a fan of it. I know I will never get 100% of my investment back. But if I don't like the AR platform for hunting I feel like I would get more of my money back taking it to a show and trying to unload it to someone who is all about the name. It's kind of a hedge I guess.

I guess, in an effort to really get at what I'm after, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences hunting with an AR versus a traditional bolt action. Maybe even narrow it down to any differences you notice between the two, if any.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I don't buy a gun based only on name. A good number of folks probably don't see too many bolt actions from the manufacturer that mine is from. I more or less would like to try something that others might buy based on name in case I'm not a fan of it. I know I will never get 100% of my investment back. But if I don't like the AR platform for hunting I feel like I would get more of my money back taking it to a show and trying to unload it to someone who is all about the name. It's kind of a hedge I guess.

I guess, in an effort to really get at what I'm after, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences hunting with an AR versus a traditional bolt action. Maybe even narrow it down to any differences you notice between the two, if any.

I dont know what all that stuff you said in the first part of this post is.....was just telling you what to google.
All I was saying was to google like you ask AR 10 hunting and not just the DD rifle you ask about.

As to using an AR for hunting or MSR they are great.
They hold up, in a lot of cases easier to handle and carry lighter and more compact.
Works great when deer hunting and you have pigs or a k9 hit the field.
the angle of the grip is easier for hunting if you ask me. They fit most stands easy and adjust to fit anyone and anything. Use a QD if you like open sights also and pull the scope and replace as needed.

Normal AR 15 can be changed easy and fast to fit any need from hard hitting big bullets to screaming fast light bullets form light weight carry to heavy bench. All very easy.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Don't have a DD in 308, but I do have their m4v11 in 5.56. It's a good gun but IMO nit worth the money given what else is out there. I wouldn't get stuck on a brand name. I bought the ar I have because it is a good looking gun, but it doesn't do anything any better then any of the other ars I have. Again I wold seriously look at this big picture and I personally just don't see the need for an ar in 308 or any other caliber. My bolt guns work fine and I have yet to encounter a hunting situation where I felt the need for more then a couple of rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive used my DPMS ar10 and it's a solid gun. Any of the ar10s will be fine for deer hunting but be aware that if you have one with the shorter 16 inch barrel that there is a huge difference in the velocity over what the ammo makers advertise and that results in more drop. Ammo that yields 2740fps in a 24 inch test barrel only chrono's for 2290fps through my 16 inch ar10.

broodc2

Four Pointer
Ive used my DPMS ar10 and it's a solid gun. Any of the ar10s will be fine for deer hunting but be aware that if you have one with the shorter 16 inch barrel that there is a huge difference in the velocity over what the ammo makers advertise and that results in more drop. Ammo that yields 2740fps in a 24 inch test barrel only chrono's for 2290fps through my 16 inch ar10.

I think this will be the biggest thing to get used to. My go-to right now is a bolt action .25-06 with a 24 inch barrel. I'm wondering if the shorter barrel AR setups would take some getting used to. But then again my longest shots are maybe around 200 yards. I like the thought of everything positive about them that Mr. Gadget mentioned in his post, especially carrying lighter and more compact and maneuvering in the stand. I love my bolt action but that 24 inch barrel seems a lot longer when i'm in tight quarters.

Carrying and loading a separate magazine also sounds appealing. protects the round in transport. But I'm wondering if charging can be done as carefully and quietly as with a bolt action. I think I just need to get some range time with the AR platform maybe.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Only getting used to is adjusting for the shorter barrel, if possible shoot it through a chrono to get the true fps read. Then its just a matter of plugging the true fps into any number of free programs to give you the drop for 200yards

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Remember
my thinking is there is no one gun fits all use or the likes.

For me in the woods 150 max the AR platform is great, I love it. Also in a tree stand.
Most the times I carry a heavy bolt gun with a 20 to 26 barrel but a 300 blk AR is real nice when I have a long walk or sitting in a small ladder or climbing stand.

Because I have shot so much and play with a lot of guns I could pick the gun of the day to hit a target and most cases do just fine and make it work.

I look at it like this.
If you ever drive a big truck say 2500 or 3500 4d lb then you never forget it.
but if you have not and only drive a toyota casket car then it is a hard adjustment period to move to an oversized truck.

Same with guns, people that have shot a bunch see no problems, yet if what a person does it shoot heavy bench guns then they will need to make adjustments to pick up the fit and feel of a shorter lighter gun.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
You thought about 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel in AR15?

If not dead set on AR 10 platform, it may be help you shave quite a bit of weight and cost.

You could build a 6.8 rifle for less than $600, and add a custom trigger for another $200, and still have less in it than an entry AR10 with milspec trigger and furniture.

I built a 6.8 to hunt with this year. It's chronicled in a thread in the readloadinng/firearm section.

Dropped a 200# 8pt in his tracks with a 110 grain Nosler Accubond shooting under 1 moa in my rifle.

Last edited:

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
My wife and I hunted with an Ar-10 this year. One thing to think about is whether or not the gun has a forward assist button. If you go into the woods unloaded then try and quietly chamber around your asking for trouble. I did it this year, I knew it was a bad thing when I loaded it, I turned out to be right when the gun clicked. I reloaded again the same way expecting the same results and sure enough. click. So thats a big thing to keep in mind. Other than that they work just fine :)

2A Armament XLR-18

Some of you may remember me posting about this deer earlier in the year.

Got her another one with the .308 in Texas this year. We actually let this deer walk the first night and the guys said it was a management buck they wanted gone. There practice was killing any 8pt bucks that were older than 3.5

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry I have lots of rifles and the ars I have are no where as light as the kimber montanas I have. They are 22 inch barrels and are as handy as the ars I have. I have a handful of ars and honestly don't see the alure of them as a hunting weapon.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My wife and I hunted with an Ar-10 this year. One thing to think about is whether or not the gun has a forward assist button. If you go into the woods unloaded then try and quietly chamber around your asking for trouble. I did it this year, I knew it was a bad thing when I loaded it, I turned out to be right when the gun clicked. I reloaded again the same way expecting the same results and sure enough. click. So thats a big thing to keep in mind. Other than that they work just fine :)

2A Armament XLR-18

Some of you may remember me posting about this deer earlier in the year.

Got her another one with the .308 in Texas this year. We actually let this deer walk the first night and the guys said it was a management buck they wanted gone. There practice was killing any 8pt bucks that were older than 3.5

Screw the gun.....

Tell us more about the wife........

Great pictures but I did not see a deer or gun. Can you post a better one.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Screw the gun.....

Tell us more about the wife........

Great pictures but I did not see a deer or gun. Can you post a better one.

You missed out on the pics earlier during the past season. And on Facebook. Tough luck. She's a Ninja. 😂😂😂

yardbat

Button Buck
I hunt with DD Ambush in 6.8SPC. Great gun for hunting deer woods and smaller pastures/fields. It has 18" barrel and is very accurate but anything over 300yds I would prefer bolt action. DD makes good stuff but other manufacturers make good stuff for less money. An AR-10 build is great option also. Enjoy the toys.