Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearcuts..... anybody on here got experience hunting fresh clearcuts?

Default Clearcuts..... anybody on here got experience hunting fresh clearcuts?

Now that the deer season is over I figured I would pick some of yalls brain. I tried hunting my fresh 20+ acre clearcut this season. My brother and I seen a total of 5 deer all season.... Did not get the nighttime pics either this year like we had gotten before the timber was cut. I knew losing all the oak trees was going to hurt. I thought the deer would look at the 20 plus acre clear cut like a new field.... WRONG! The deer seemed to have a hard time getting use to it. This coming season will be more of the same I am afraid, cause the NC forestry service is going to burn it down this October. Wont be much in the way of vegetation or cover when they are done.
    I do have 2 small 1 acre fields in the middle of the clearcut that will have soybeans but they are a good 150 yards from the nearest mature woodline.
    Any thoughts on what I can expect this year?
    Last edited by jug; 01-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Hunting in the Sandhills and Foothills of NC

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

Burn it down because??
    If they're burning it to plant pines, just be patient.
    Even if they burn it in October, the fire is not gonna flatten everything. You'll get a lot of growth before October. I personally love hunting new cutovers but the habitat beside the cutovers can dictate how successful you'll be in seeing/killing deer.
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

Eight Pointer

It will be good. Give it some time.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.

I am having the clearcut sprayed in August and then they are burning it down in October, to plant longleaf pine trees. We are planting back the longleaf pines when they use to dominate the property during the early 1900's before my wifes great great grandfather had all of them turpentine to extension.
    Hunting in the Sandhills and Foothills of NC

Stay tuned.... give it a couple of years and you will be smiling....
    24 DLX Carolina Skiff- Fortuitous

Rule of thumb is a new clear cut is not going to be too good for deer hunting the first season, but will improve after that.

Of course, there are a lot of variables that can alter this; things like size of the clear cut, location and what's surrounding the cut, etc.

You're right in thinking the deer were confused about the new landscape, but deer are very adaptable and will adjust quickly, and it's your job as the hunter to learn their new patterns.

I'm going to be going through the same thing soon myself; about half of the 100 acres I hunt is going to be cut this winter.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Depends on what it's sprayed with. It may be a deer desert for years to come if sprayed with certain chemicals.
    Or it could be a deer magnet in a few years, even though longleaf pines don't have the best profile to provide cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Revo View Post
    Depends on what it's sprayed with. It may be a deer desert for years to come if sprayed with certain chemicals.
    Or it could be a deer magnet in a few years, even though longleaf pines don't have the best profile to provide cover.
    That's true, I usually spray cutovers with just arsenal so it will still allow the blackberry and broomsedge to keep growing. I walked a cutover the other day that I sprayed with arsenal in the summer of 2015 and there were quite a few deer trails and really good cover for deer and small game. I'm not sure, but if it's a traditional longleaf site, it may take a little while longer to get a good grassy cover. But the fire should help jump start the herbaceous plants.
    Some people are like slinkys..... not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face to push them down the stairs.

Thats tough.... As soon as they burned in Oct id plant something.... Especially if the neighboring area has trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twelve Pointer

If this is the land you have in rockingham county? I wouldn't bother hunting it...I'll pay you to let me watch over it though.... With a muzzleloader and rifle deer will still use it...my place is going thru the same right now. The deer use low areas to travel in daylight to get from point a to b .