Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clearcuts..... anybody on here got experience hunting fresh clearcuts?

Hey curdog.
    They are using.... Accord XRT, Chopper, and Milestone
    unless an unusual plant species shows up.
    Hunting in the Sandhills and Foothills of NC

Quote Originally Posted by HorNhnTr View Post
    If this is the land you have in rockingham county? I wouldn't bother hunting it...I'll pay you to let me watch over it though.... With a muzzleloader and rifle deer will still use it...my place is going thru the same right now. The deer use low areas to travel in daylight to get from point a to b .
    No . No way I am going to grow longleaf pines in the land of a million ROCKS. This is here in Harnett county where I live.
    Last edited by jug; 01-11-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Hunting in the Sandhills and Foothills of NC

Quote Originally Posted by Excursion View Post
    Stay tuned.... give it a couple of years and you will be smiling....
    Yep......

1st year can be bad if it was cut late or burned like you were saying but as soon as it starts growing up it should be sweet.
    If you want shooting lanes get them lined up now.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by jug View Post
    Hey curdog.
    They are using.... Accord XRT, Chopper, and Milestone
    unless an unusual plant species shows up.
    That mixture will not be a hospitable to blackberry, grasses and legumes as just Imazapyr ( Chopper/Arsenal). Soil type and fertility will impact how quickly the ground cover recovers. If herbicide gets on food plots it could impact what will grow there as well. If you are really interested in habitat you could ask for amended herbicide application or leave a few strips untreated to provide travel corridors until the rest of the stand recovers. A few different situations from 2009 before Milestone was used very much. Can see a impacts some herbicide mixtures can have in longleaf site preparation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by para4514; 01-11-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Yeah milestone is pretty rough on blackberry. The accord is a glyphosphate based product, but the grasses will recover from it eventually. Chopper and arsenal won't affect the blackberry. Which is good for wildlife, bad if you want to walk through it in the future
    Some people are like slinkys..... not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face to push them down the stairs.

I understand that spraying is necessary, but man I hate that stuff...take a perfectly good clear cut and NUKE it...
    I don't hunt because I want to. I hunt because I have to!

Aya and others that recommended patience is spot on. It will be money by year three and for a long time afterwards. A real murderhole I predict.

Quote Originally Posted by jug View Post
    Now that the deer season is over I figured I would pick some of yalls brain. I tried hunting my fresh 20+ acre clearcut this season. My brother and I seen a total of 5 deer all season.... Did not get the nighttime pics either this year like we had gotten before the timber was cut. I knew losing all the oak trees was going to hurt. I thought the deer would look at the 20 plus acre clear cut like a new field.... WRONG! The deer seemed to have a hard time getting use to it. This coming season will be more of the same I am afraid, cause the NC forestry service is going to burn it down this October. Wont be much in the way of vegetation or cover when they are done.
    I do have 2 small 1 acre fields in the middle of the clearcut that will have soybeans but they are a good 150 yards from the nearest mature woodline.
    Any thoughts on what I can expect this year?
    Dude, don't spray it. In another year, you will have the best home cooking for deer that mother nature can provide - black berries, honey suckle, etc. etc. Take that money you would have put into chemicals and start maintaining shooting lanes because you're going to need them. Maybe a new tower stand might be in order while you have good access to the property.

One of our farms that had planted pines ended up getting clear gun since the pines were not growing right. They cut it in October, planted pines back in the spring, sprayed it in early october the next year to knock down everything but the pines. This year, 3rd season since cutting the deer are back in force. It takes a few years, if they just clear gun why are they not planting it this spring?

Let the little ones walk, shoot a doe!!
    www.twinoakshuntingclub.com

Remember the good old days when DB Cooper jumped out of an air plane, never ever to be heard from again...ever?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Twelve Pointer

I'd say its just that they had so many acorns to eat not so much they were afraid of it after some browse gets up you'll have some good hunting especially with them fields and years where acorns aren't so abundant