Anyone here Duck Hunt Lake Norman?

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I know its surrounded by houses and it might be a PIA but I am just wondering. I have always fished it and ran into duck hunters before I started duck hunting, but I can't find any laws governing the rules of duck hunting on the lake. Everyone talks about a 450' rule for setting up from a house. I was riding around the other day and circled the lake and saw a bunch of them out there in different coves. There are a lot of islands that does not show anyone as owning that I have seen ducks around. Just trying to figure out if its worth trying to get set up to hunt it next year.

Not looking for spots just info about being able to hunt it.

jumperdoc

Spike
It is a challenging lake to hunt, for a lot of reasons. I live on Norman and just as often as not end up trailering the boat elsewhere to hunt. PM me if you would like specifics.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Hunted it for the better part of 20 years. Gave it up 3 years ago and have not been back since. Just got to be too much of a circus out there.
The enjoyment left when I was putting the boat in at 4:15 just to ensure a spot to hunt.
Yes it can be decent at times
Yes you can hunt the islands
Yes other groups will try to hunt the same island 20 yards from you
Norman has shoreline in 4 counties so you need to check County regs if they have min distance from residence.
Yes it can get very nasty out there if the wind is blowing

Hope this helps. Shoot me a PM if you need any more info. I will be glad to tell you everything I know about Norman.

Higgz

Button Buck
Reviving this thread - I have the same question. I'm new to duck hunting and curious about trying Lake Norman. Anything change since 2017 when this was posted?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Reviving this thread - I have the same question. I'm new to duck hunting and curious about trying Lake Norman. Anything change since 2017 when this was posted?

Get more posts so I or others can pm you.
I think you need 25 posts.
We can talk on the phone. I'll tell you what I know.

wl704

Ten Pointer
I'm not duck hunting much these days, but LKN perimeter continues to be developed and the lake is a lot more crowded (year round).

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
My favorite duck huntin' hole is that deep pond just off 73 on the way to Concord. That thing really holds the birds. Superb specimens in there. Prolly because of the grass mats and stuff. đź« 

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
My favorite duck huntin' hole is that deep pond just off 73 on the way to Concord. That thing really holds the birds. Superb specimens in there. Prolly because of the grass mats and stuff. đź« 

Coddle creek is a duck Mecca……but still not high rock.

Actually I drove across coddle creek one day last January and did not see a single birds other than gulls and cormorants. Not even a ruddy duck. I don’t see ducks on those refuges like I used to in nc.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Coddle creek is a duck Mecca……but still not high rock.

Actually I drove across coddle creek one day last January and did not see a single birds other than gulls and cormorants. Not even a ruddy duck. I don’t see ducks on those refuges like I used to in nc.

The grass killing chemical must've gotten put in there.

Higgz

Button Buck
I gave you PM privs. You're not gonna spam people with ads via PM are ya? :)
Thanks! I haven't figured out yet where/how to PM yet, but you'll ALL know when I find it. Just kidding!

Joking aside, my daughter and I were talking to a game warden who confirmed it was legal to duck hunt Lake Norman. I was skeptical until I saw it with my own eyes. We are blessed to live on the lake - been here since 2017 - and have never seen anyone duck hunting. I've heard gunshots but lets face it, who hasn't. I never made the connection that (some) were hunters. I had my first duck hunt last season in Georgia and we basically walked in to a bog and stood thigh-deep in muddy water, hidden by brush until the birds came in. It was a blast and I want to learn. The guys I saw on Lake Norman were in a small jon boat. No decoys. Birds came in and they dropped two, retrieved them, and went back to the spot where they started. After waiting a while w/out any more birds they headed off in another direction and out of sight. I don't know a thing about duck hunting from a boat in a lake but it looked dumb-simple. Can it be that easy!? On the other hand, I have no idea what they harvested. I suspect calling in a few wood ducks might be harder than blasting into a big flock of geese.

Last edited: