CCW Renewal Rant

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got a notice in late October that I needed to renew my ccw permit and that I should do it asap to ensure I get my permit in timely manner. So, I go on Oct. 28, do all the "paper work" (done on "self serve computers at the sheriff's office), pay my money and go on about my business.

Well, my current ccw expires on Feb. 1. I'm getting concerned, because I've not heard diddily from the sheriff's dept. So, I call them this morning. Nope, still "in process". I ask what am I supposed to do when the current one runs out, and I don't have the new one? I'm told, "Since your application is still in process, you are good to carry."

My question is, Yeah, they are telling ME that, but is it going to fly with LEO's if I'm stopped and I tell THEM that?

How freaking long does it take to process a renewal?? It's been almost 3 months! I think I got my original permit faster than this!

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was told the exact opposite and not to carry when I renewed mine and didn't get the new one until after the old one expired. I thought the new laws said they had to issue them within 45 days now or something like that?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Sorry for your problems. Seems I have renewed mine 2 or 3 times now, and can't remember any lenghty delay at all. May have to do with the number they have to process up here.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I'm in the process now. I filled out the online form and paid, then it said pick a date to drop off your printed application, but since you are renewing you do not actually have to adhere to the date, just drop the application off anytime. And it has to be notarized. All I have left is to drop it off. When I 1st applied they said it could take 3 months but then called me in 2 weeks and said it was ready. Hopefully I can drop it off today.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
IIRC, if you applied for renewal within 90 days of expiration, your permit is still valid even though it has expired.

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
I'm in Person county. I was told to use my old one until my new one was available. The only minor issue I had was that I didn't receive any notification when mine did come in. I called to check on it and was told it had been sitting there for three weeks.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
My CCW permit was still valid but when I moved out of Guildford and into Rockingham County about the same time (with 90 days) my CCW was due for renewal, I had to reapply in Rockingham (no big deal). Had to do the entire process over just like when I got my initial CCW (except for the training course cert.), paper work, fingerprints, $90 cost, etc., but I had it back within 45-50 days. I was told that if my current conceal (the old one that I was doing the renewal for) expired, that I could not carry concealed until I received my new renewed CCW permit. My wife got her renewal back in about 45 days as well. 90 days seems like an awful long time for a renewal, IMO. A renewal shouldn't take about 30-45 days if it is to be issued by the county in which it was previously issued.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just got my renewed permit in the mail a few weeks ago, started the process back in mid November. I was told carry like normal, that if a LEO checked it would show in process. The only thing is that you can't purchase on the expired one while waiting. I did ask a Wake Co Deputy and he told me the same.

Last edited:

bilntime

Eight Pointer
I just got my renewed permit in the mail a few weeks ago, started the process back in mid November. I was told carry like normal, that if a LEO checked it would show in process. The only thing is that you can't purchase on the expired one while waiting. I did ask a Wake Co Deputy and he told me the same.

I went through the renewal for mine in Wake County in mid December - should receive it in the mail around the end of this month, I would expect . . . current one expires on Jan. 28 - was told the same as you, if I do not receive the new one before the old one expires

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wake county when I tried to renew there wasn't a single appointment available on the on line scheduler. I went down there to do it in person and there wasn't anyone else there so I breezed right through. I did not get my permit until a few days before my old one expired. It took forever.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
off topic but do I have to notify Sherriffs office of an address change?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
off topic but do I have to notify Sherriffs office of an address change?

Yes you do.

Change of Address:
The permit holder shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the permanent address within 30 days.

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Well I dropped off my paperwork and she told me 3 months. Hopefully it will be like when I 1st got it. We'll see...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's wild. I was told to expect a 90 day wait here in Craven when I applied initially. Had it in a little less than 6 weeks...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ONCE they went over my expiration date prior my retirement, they issued me a temp. permit. Actually it was just a piece of paper stating I had filed in a timely manner and the hold up was on their end. I was told to show my expired one and the issued explanation.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I got a notice in late October that I needed to renew my ccw permit and that I should do it asap to ensure I get my permit in timely manner. So, I go on Oct. 28, do all the "paper work" (done on "self serve computers at the sheriff's office), pay my money and go on about my business.

Well, my current ccw expires on Feb. 1. I'm getting concerned, because I've not heard diddily from the sheriff's dept. So, I call them this morning. Nope, still "in process". I ask what am I supposed to do when the current one runs out, and I don't have the new one? I'm told, "Since your application is still in process, you are good to carry."

My question is, Yeah, they are telling ME that, but is it going to fly with LEO's if I'm stopped and I tell THEM that?

How freaking long does it take to process a renewal?? It's been almost 3 months! I think I got my original permit faster than this!

At least forty-five (45) days prior to the expiration date of a concealed carry permit, the sheriff will send a written notice to the permittee explaining that the permit is about to expire. The holder of the permit shall apply to renew the permit within the ninety-day (90) period prior to its expiration. The permit of a permittee who complies with this requirement will remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff. If the permittee does not apply to renew the permit prior to its expiration date, but does apply to renew the permit within sixty (60) days after the permit expires, the sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety course; however, the person may not carry a concealed handgun under this expired permit.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
The problem lies within the overly broad discretion of each sheriff. Since the sheriff is the only authority that can issue or deny a permit, many are making discretionary policies that the General Statutes do not afford them and this is going unchecked by DOJ. An example is Onslow County where the CCH department will not return a class certificate to an applicant if the application is denied for any reason. There is no provision for this action as the GS states that a class certificate never expires, so the CCH departments should give the certificate back to the student and allow them to reapply if eligible or provide a legitimate explanation as to why they can't have their certificate. They are being told in some cases that they must take a class again and others are told they can ask the original instructor for a new certificate at the discretion of the instructor. I spoke with the CJ Standards director last week and was told that they have no authority to enforce administration of the General Statutes.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
I doubt the sheriff's office would take a copy due to the fact that copies have VOID printed all over them since they changed to the check paper.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I doubt the sheriff's office would take a copy due to the fact that copies have VOID printed all over them since they changed to the check paper.

They won't. Which is why we advocate the students keeping a copy for their records. The SO is going to take the original and they won't get it back. If a duplicate cert. was needed, the student should be able to obtain that from the CCH instructor they took the course from.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Just put my paperwork in at the Sheriff's office. Lady told me 45 working days. She gave me a copy of my class certificate, but had VOID stamped all over it.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
I think the state office should do away with the certificates altogether and issue the instructors serial numbers to assign to each student. That way the state would save money and eliminate the re-order by mail system for instructors currently in place. There's no reason this all can't be handled electronically. The serial numbers on the certificates are assigned to a specific instructor anyway and many sheriff's offices are doing online applications now that ask for that serial number and if CCH permits can be tracked and accounted for by serial number, so can the class certificates. In fact, the class completion serial could be transferred to the CCH permit if application is approved. There's no need to waste the money to print a frameable certificate if the student isn't allowed to keep it.

Last edited: