New Duck Gun

adamwayne

I posted a couple weeks ago about experiences with the Stoeger M3500 and the Mossberg 935. Well after a lot of research and reading through the comments I have actually decided to go a completely different direction and going with the Winchester SX4! A good friend has the SX3 and is upgrading tot he 4 this summer. Its a little more than I wanted to spend but like somebody said in my last post, the abuse I put a gun through is an even better reason to get a better, more reliable gun. There is a reason Winchester has been around so long! Thanks guys.

Which one did you get? The Waterfowler editions are $1,069 From the factory. Honestly, for that I would have spent a few hundred more and went with a SBE 2. That's just me though. I hope the gun treats you well and shoots great. Put some rounds down range and write a good review. Might give some of us something to think about for the future.

James

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
The SX3 is a great gun, I can only see the 4 being the same. and the SBE2 is 1500+ so not really a couple hundred more, the new SBE3 is 2K which is crazy for a shot gun that will have the same amount of issues as the 1K guns.

I said a few hundred and the SX3 is a pretty good gun. I've only shot them, never owned one. I personally don't care for the feel of the SX3 but if it fits you and you shoot it well then all the better for you. If you watch sales a new SBE 2 can be had for less than 1500 and if you're willing, a lightly used one can be had for a very good price. Hell, right now I'm shooting a Benelli Nova that I've had for years and sold my auto loaders a few years back to help with some bills. I'm by no means a shotgun snob or Benelli snob.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I think you made The right choice. Maybe I'm biased because I own an sx3. (20ga). But I also own beretta, browning and Remington shotguns as well. I am a shotgun snob. Ive shot dam near all of'em and owned many. I don't understand the hype with benelli. Why keep trying to get a man to buy a benelli when he has already bought, in my opinion, a much better gun.
Yes, I have owned a benelli. After nightmare experiences with customer service and the gun itself, I wouldn't even use one to stake out a goat. They have a very strong following but I have to wonder how much of that is due to advertising and every tom dick and Harry with a tv show using one. On a positive note, they fit and shoulder as fine as any shotgun I've ever handled. And I probably wouldn't turn down an older model M1.
You never see many benelli's in the competition shotgun world and there's a reason for that. You see semi auto beretta's and Brownings but mainly beretta's. Big difference in a weekend round of clays once a month vs guys shooting 2-300 rounds every weekend. You may say you use it for duck hunting and a couple weekends a year shooting doves and its flawless. That's awesome but not really what I'd call putting one through its paces but if your happy with it, that's all that really matters. All of it comes down to a man spending HIS money on a gun HE liked.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I think you made The right choice. Maybe I'm biased because I own an sx3. (20ga). But I also own beretta, browning and Remington shotguns as well. I am a shotgun snob. Ive shot dam near all of'em and owned many. I don't understand the hype with benelli. Why keep trying to get a man to buy a benelli when he has already bought, in my opinion, a much better gun.
Yes, I have owned a benelli. After nightmare experiences with customer service and the gun itself, I wouldn't even use one to stake out a goat. They have a very strong following but I have to wonder how much of that is due to advertising and every tom dick and Harry with a tv show using one. On a positive note, they fit and shoulder as fine as any shotgun I've ever handled. And I probably wouldn't turn down an older model M1.
You never see many benelli's in the competition shotgun world and there's a reason for that. You see semi auto beretta's and Brownings but mainly beretta's. Big difference in a weekend round of clays once a month vs guys shooting 2-300 rounds every weekend. You may say you use it for duck hunting and a couple weekends a year shooting doves and its flawless. That's awesome but not really what I'd call putting one through its paces but if your happy with it, that's all that really matters. All of it comes down to a man spending HIS money on a gun HE liked.

Great post! I am with you 100% on the Benelli hype, my experiences with them mirror yours.

Ok so first I didn't tell him to buy a Benelli or tell him he bought a crap gun. I simply stated for a few hundred more dollars you could buy a Benelli so to please write a review after using it cause it may help somebody with a future purchase, myself included. I've been hunting waterfowl for 26 years and used Benelli's, Beretta's, Browning, Winchester and Reminton. Some of them I have owned, some of them were loaner guns that I used for a couple hunts. Most of them have worked great, some of them I didn't care for. So, before you guys get anymore pissy maybe you should go back and read my original post again and tell me where I said he should've bought a Benelli. I said I would have spent a little but that's just me. I owned a SBE 2 for years from when they first came out until a few years ago when I sold it and I never had any problems with it. I hunted all over the place and before I joined the Army I was hunting almost everyday of the season in a couple provinces in Canada and all over the Central and Mississippi flyways. This is detracting from the original post so I'm done now...just don't really care for the assault on my character very much. Like I said earlier to the OP, I hope the gun treats him well and that he writes a good review of it after using it.

skydog

I bought a used SBE2 years ago for a price I couldn't turn down...I have treated it like dirt, put it through hell, and never once had an issue with it. That said, I've never felt like it fits me right so I'm always on the lookout for a new gun.

Winchesters have never shouldered well for me but plenty of people love them and they have a good reputation. Congrats on your purchase and shoot straight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
goodness, poor guy was just excited about his new gun and opened up a brand pissing match. for the record all high end shotguns will perform as expected and all high end shotguns will have people who are not pleased. Congrats on the purchase, I hope it serves you well.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
goodness, poor guy was just excited about his new gun and opened up a brand pissing match. for the record all high end shotguns will perform as expected and all high end shotguns will have people who are not pleased. Congrats on the purchase, I hope it serves you well.

Well it is gettIng torwards the end of the season..........figured I'd go ahead and get things going but hope I didn't burn up a good pissing contest to early. Don't want everyone to get bored come June/July. Hahaha

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If you watch sales a new SBE 2 can be had for less than 1500 and if you're willing, a lightly used one can be had for a very good price.

My apologies for mis-interpreting the ^^^ in a post where the OP stated a gun he'd already bought.

And my apologies for getting things off track....

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Well it is gettIng torwards the end of the season..........figured I'd go ahead and get things going but hope I didn't burn up a good pissing contest to early. Don't want everyone to get bored come June/July. Hahaha

I will save the topic of Benelli is the best gun to water swat hens with hevi-shot so i can take a pic of her under a hat for after the season goes out.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I posted a couple weeks ago about experiences with the Stoeger M3500 and the Mossberg 935. Well after a lot of research and reading through the comments I have actually decided to go a completely different direction and going with the Winchester SX4! A good friend has the SX3 and is upgrading tot he 4 this summer. Its a little more than I wanted to spend but like somebody said in my last post, the abuse I put a gun through is an even better reason to get a better, more reliable gun. There is a reason Winchester has been around so long! Thanks guys.

Not sure if you have purchased yet or not but this looks like a good deal https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...946/WIN+SX4+WATERFOWL+12GA+3.5+28+INV+3+MOSGB

adamwayne

Which one did you get? The Waterfowler editions are $1,069 From the factory. Honestly, for that I would have spent a few hundred more and went with a SBE 2. That's just me though. I hope the gun treats you well and shoots great. Put some rounds down range and write a good review. Might give some of us something to think about for the future.

James

I havent yet but Id honestly get the new SBE3 if I went that route.

adamwayne

The SX3 is a great gun, I can only see the 4 being the same. and the SBE2 is 1500+ so not really a couple hundred more, the new SBE3 is 2K which is crazy for a shot gun that will have the same amount of issues as the 1K guns.

Exactly my friend!

adamwayne

Im not even getting the gun for another few months. Just thought I would add to my other post because I am deciding to go another direction. Plus I dont even know when the SX4 comes out to all retailers.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Plus I dont even know when the SX4 comes out to all retailers.
Go to a shop where you can handle the guns, see how they feel but don't be afraid to buy online from Buds Gun Shop. I bought my A400 from them and it was shipped to the local gun shop. I paid them $25 to do the transfer and saved I think about $450 compared to what could get it for around here.

They have a list of pre-selected FFL dealers that have agreed to do transfers for them, all you do is choose one in your area and pick it up when it gets there.

I've bought a couple guns from them and will likely buy more in the future.

Last edited:

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I have 2 benellis and I enjoy them, I think my biggest issue is my shooting or lack of. When I bought mine there were not too many other makers of the 3.5 inch. I have a friend that has the Winchester, I would not hesitate to use or get one for myself. I am a mechanical fan instead of gas operated, that was a huge point for me. The only issue I have had with mine is after 13 years the spring in the buttstock needed replacing because the gun would not cycle.

Good luck with your new Winchester, I am a shotgun addict, please post a review of your gun so others may know.

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
Beautiful gun I must say. I shoot the m2000 and it has many years of wear and tear on it and I will be in search for a new gun for next years season.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Enjoy! They are nice guns.

I might get one if only for the recoil reduction compared to an SBE 2. I have an SBE1 and love it but it does kick some.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Ive looked hard at the Stoeger m3500s as well. Heard too many mixed reviews on the 935s. Let us know how you like that Winchester!