Weyerhauser stinks!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I live about a mile down the road from an Environmental Education Center owned by Weyerhauser. It's sitting on probably 600 acres of land along the Neuse River and is in multiple conservation programs. They used to have a young lady working on site, and I got to know her while doing educational programs there. (They layed her off a few years ago) The place has miles of nice hiking trails, so I asked her if they would allow me permission to hike the trails since I lived nearby. "Sure, just come on in the office and fill out a waver". I did, and the waver will put in a file cabinet. I've been walking the trails for several years now, and met several others from nearby who do the same. Yes, there are a few "rogues" who come against the rules with ATV's and such, but most of us follow the rules.

There is one guy who I'd often see there on Sunday afternoons. He walked 3 dogs. A few months ago, I was walking, and I thought I saw him in a canoe on the river. He hollered at me, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. Upon completion of my walk, I found a note from him on my truck. It said he'd walked the trails earlier in the week, and 2 Weyerhauser employees told him he was not allowed to be there, so he left. When he got to the entrance, he was met by a sheriff's deputy, frisked and told not to come back! He was warning me so the same didn't happen to me. He left his number so we could talk. I've stayed out of there ever since.

Well, yesterday, I was finally able to get up with someone at Weyerhauser in charge of the Education Center. "No, no one but employees are allowed there anymore." I hate losing such a great place to walk, but it's there property, so they can dictate (to the law abiding) who can enter.

This is what pisses me off. I told the lady in charge, that it might avoid some problems if they accessed the wavers and notified everyone. She said, "There are signs up stating it's private property and no trespassing". I told here those signs have BEEN there ever since BEFORE I signed my waver! Then it was, "Well, the wavers are only good for a limited time". I told her, "We didn't get a copy of the wavers, and I sure don't remember anything about them only being good for a "limited time'.

Essentially, she came up with a bunch of flimsy excuses as to why they weren't going to let folks who has had permission to be there, that they now don't. They are just going to call the law on them!:mad:

The bad part is, it's just like gun control. The "good guys" aren't allowed in anymore, so now the "rogues" have the place all to themselves. My opinion of Weyerhauser has really taken a nose dive in the past few years.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I was recently wondering if that place was part of the sale to IP. Sounds like a typical corporate mess.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
You can look no further than plantiff attorney mills for the property owner adopting such a strict position. From my view you would be deemed an asset via good neighbor to keep a watch on their property.

However, wavers are useless as they do not prevent suit and must be defended. Cost is incurred to defend them thus the extortion by plaintiff lawyers.

To the good plantiff lawyers, keep up your good work and see about straightening out the rogue ones! ;)

Last edited:

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Was this where they have the envirothon at? I started working with soil & water conservation in fall of 2015, we went to the coastal envirothon last march and I was Impressed with the layout. Didn't get to explore much but really liked the scenery by the main area. Sounds like it went from one extreme to the other with the sheriff deputies and all. Really stinks to have such a big area to hike getting taken away.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Environmental Center nor any of the timberland went with the sale. Weyerhauser just sold the mill to International Paper.

Thomas 270, Yes, this is where the Envirothon was, and will be held. Look me up at the Middle School Soils station this year.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Lil off topic but,

If I sign a piece of paper, I take a picture of it, BEFORE I sign it. I get the same look most of the time. First is "what is he doing" and about 1-3 seconds later, they seem to understand.

It has helped "remember" something once or twice.

I'm curious as to the root cause of the ban?

I sadly, understand why they aren't emailing folks about it. Nowhere in their budget is there a "go through the files and email everyone we gave permission to hike and inform them they now can not". They took the less expensive path (no pun ;) ).

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Didn't Weyerhauser just get bought out? New company new rules is my guess.

Weyerhaeuser sold their cellulose fiber (pulp) mills to IP, but all timberlands, sawmills, and OSB facilities are still Weyerhaeuser including the Environmental Education Center. Weyerhaeuser merged with or acquired Plum Creek timberlands.

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Weyerhauser timber lands were bought by Plum Creek.

But Weyerhauser has sucked for the past 20 years but has just been pure arseholes the last 6-8 years. I'd love to see Weyerhauser just go belly up and go completely under or be bought out totally. The sooner there is no more Weyerhauser the better this world will be.

Last edited:

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Weyerhauser timber lands were bought by Plum Creek.

But Weyerhauser has sucked for the past 20 years but has just been pure arseholes the last 6-8 years. I'd love to see Weyerhauser just go belly up and go completely under or be bought out totally. The sooner there is no more Weyerhauser the better this world will be.

Actually, Weyerhaeuser bought Plum Creek and the operating name remains Weyerhaeuser.

"Weyerhaeuser (WY) is buying Plum Creek Timber (PCL) for $8.44 billion to form what is expected to be one of the world’s biggest timberland and forest products companies.

The company will keep the Weyerhaeuser name and have more than 13 million acres of timberland, the companies said Sunday. It will be worth $23 billion based on current share prices."

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
You're probably lucky it's not gamelands

You'd be amazed how many Weyerhauyser lands you drive past or upon when you go to hunt out of state, or even out of country if you drive to hunt in Canada. They are a HUGE conglomerate. 0 denying that fact.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Actually, I would not be surprised to see that happen at some date. All that land around the center is in one conservation program or another, and can't be used many profitable ways. Who else would buy it and not be able to turn a profit off it? It would make an EXCELLENT education center similar to the Perchman Center in Fayetteville. It borders 2 rivers, has a pond, big field, a nice house, two big shelters near the house, and two other shelters along the river, diverse ecosystems, and miles of hiking trails. They already have a permit hunt for youth on it run by WRC.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Actually, I would not be surprised to see that happen at some date. All that land around the center is in one conservation program or another, and can't be used many profitable ways. Who else would buy it and not be able to turn a profit off it? It would make an EXCELLENT education center similar to the Pechman Center in Fayetteville. It borders 2 rivers, has a pond, big field, a nice house, two big shelters near the house, and two other shelters along the river, diverse ecosystems, and miles of hiking trails. They already have a permit hunt for youth on it run by WRC.

fixed it for you,,,,,,,,

been to many a youth event there,,,,,,nice facility,,,,,,,