Wader ideas

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
First off If I had the means and time I would go in businesses making waders that are actually worth the $200-$500 you pay for a pair of premium waders. The boots are always terrible, most have a tendency to leak, they are built for a human size that does not exist ( cabelas breathable, size 13 boot 59 inch chest????) and you can't have all the features you want in one pair. I pretty much know what the perfect waders would be for me but they are not made. It's kinda surprising to me that high end companies like sitka, UA, and Kuiu have not come up with something.
Enough with the rant and on to the question. The one idea I have for the perfect pair of waders that does not requires essentially making a pair from scratch is a better boot. Has anyone successfully replaced the boots on their waders? Cabelas has the right idea with the instinct boot built into the waders but they fail at getting the chest size right. I would like to take a pair of muck boots, which are the most comfortable knee boots I've had and put them on some waders that have most of the features I'm looking for. I have done a little bit of research on gluing neoprene ect and it may be a trial and error process but at over $200 for the waders I would like a proof of concept. I do a lot of hiking into spot, dealing with deep mud, and cursing the current style of boots so any time and effort in this would be worth it if it works.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Other than the boots what size do you need in the chest? I am a big guy and most are way too small for me. I just ordered a pair of the Cabelas breathable due to the chest size. I have a pair of Drake also and the boots are pretty good in them. I think maybe the Banded have a similar type boot to the mucks as the boot looks like the Banded type boot. I think the reason for the type of boots is they need to be ridged to attach the neoprene to. Seems lie mine are stitched and glued.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I get that a lot of people are bigger than me which is why they make stout sizes, I'm referencing regular sizes. The 13 boot is tactfully my hunting partner since we are roughly the same size he just wears a bigger shoe so the problem is even worse. I have been getting my boots in a 10 for a tighter fit and would need close to a 42 inch chest. The banded blacks look like they have a lot of he features I am looking for but they are $600 and the chest is still 10 inches to big. A muck boot is no less ridged that the rubber boots they come with now. They could be attached the same way using a form inside the boot.

USIA. Completely customizable and made in the USA. You can send them the boots you want them to use. They don't have normal hunting camo patterns...the company makes dry suits for the military and commercial use. You can call them and tell them any special customization that you want. They will custom make it your measurements. I keep threatening to put a dent in the bank account and get a set of them. I know a guy that has been using the same waders for almost 10 years...pretty good investment. Look into them if you're interested.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have looked into them before but didnt see an option for insulated waders. I actually prefer at least neoprene in the legs or primaloft in a breathables for standing in cold water. Layering under the waders doesn't work great for me and builds a lot of heat walking in.

They do not have that option. In the past I have worn a light layer under breathables and carried an extra in my bag. Stopped walking and added extra layer and then down graded for the walk out. I think USIA is probably the best option for price, durability and customization. They may even be able to some kind insulation if you called them.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
took a closer look and they look ok but for the price outfitted like I want I can at least get a pair of breathable that are to big. The fabric they use is that plastic coated non breathable stuff that holds even more moisture than neoprene.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I know Dan's put muck or lacrosse boots on they're hip boots and they last a long time. Maybe you could convince them to make chest waders. I'd buy a pair

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I get that a lot of people are bigger than me which is why they make stout sizes, I'm referencing regular sizes. The 13 boot is tactfully my hunting partner since we are roughly the same size he just wears a bigger shoe so the problem is even worse. I have been getting my boots in a 10 for a tighter fit and would need close to a 42 inch chest. The banded blacks look like they have a lot of he features I am looking for but they are $600 and the chest is still 10 inches to big. A muck boot is no less ridged that the rubber boots they come with now. They could be attached the same way using a form inside the boot.

I think you would like these. A buddy of mine has them and he is on the smaller side and with the elastic on the sides it allows for a coat under or on the outside.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...-waders/_/N-1101198/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103895280

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I don't have any specific recommendations, but after lending mine to a shorter friend, I strapped mine on one morning and I must say they were much more useable when strapped TIGHT over the shoulders. Much less suckage and sinkage in the boots.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns

looked at those too. Not very detailed on the site and the sizing chart is a little unclear but it looks like they assume most guys are only 5'11" unless your stout. Wondering why they are on sale for so cheap? I would prefer something less than a 1600 gram boot. The drake mst or the hybrids are pretty close to everything I would want in a wader except for normal sizing and a decent boot.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I don't have any specific recommendations, but after lending mine to a shorter friend, I strapped mine on one morning and I must say they were much more useable when strapped TIGHT over the shoulders. Much less suckage and sinkage in the boots.

I cant stand mine to be loose or sag. I have them tight and wear a belt. Getting stuck in the mud is just a by product of the boot not being form fitting. I can through some mud but walking over a mile with your foot sliding around makes it that much worse.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
those have been on my short list even if they will be a little warm. The boot still sucks haha

Trust me, I would rather have your problem than mine. I am short and fat! LOL the Drake MST in Stout are great and fit me great, but a little warm if its above 50 degrees. So I am trying the breathable Cabelas since they were on sale. Most don't come close to fitting my chest. First pair I ever wore I borrowed and I looked like a sausage.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
At least yall can get your foot in them. When you wear a size 16, the options are very limited. At this point I think I'm going to get a pair from USIA just so I can get a boot that's not so tight.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
At least yall can get your foot in them. When you wear a size 16, the options are very limited. At this point I think I'm going to get a pair from USIA just so I can get a boot that's not so tight.

Dang I thought I had problems with my size 15. I know you have trouble finding waders! That being said if my banded red zone waders had a little more boot space they'd be the most comfortable waders I've ever owned.

dixiedeerslayer

Ten Pointer
I have the cabelas breathable and love them. I do alot of walking on my hunts and the neoprene just are not flexable enough.
Maybe you could try some stocking foot waders and glue them in a pair of mucks.

Last edited:

Jmac

Dang I thought I had problems with my size 15. I know you have trouble finding waders! That being said if my banded red zone waders had a little more boot space they'd be the most comfortable waders I've ever owned.

Some big boys here, damn

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns

I know rogers sporting goods has big man up to size 15 boot and they are supposed to run large. Never tried them but know guy who have and they seem to like them.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I know rogers sporting goods has big man up to size 15 boot and they are supposed to run large. Never tried them but know guy who have and they seem to like them.
If you order from them, have to do it early. I tried to get a pair to try from them first week of October and they were sold out and still didn't have any last time I checked.

Einstein

Six Pointer
First things first, I'm amazed people still wear neoprene. I've used neoprene for years, then switched to breathables this year. I was afraid I would be cold. Absolutely not the case. The breathables are WAYYY warmer than neoprene, for the fact that neoprene absorbs water, breathable shed it. Rogers tough man breathables have been my saving grace. I don't like Cabelas breathables for the fact that their only 600gram boot. Rogers are 1200. A few friends have Caddis Breathables and love them. Look into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hnbarnes

Six Pointer
I got the LL Bean breathables at the beginning of this season and are hands down the best chest waders I've ever worn. Now the boots aren't quite as comfortable as my lacrosse knee boots, but they fit better than any of the cabelas or drake waders I've had. The LL Bean warranty is what sold me. Just wish they came in a different camo pattern

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I gotta buddy that's in the loop with Sitka. They are coming out with waders. He didn't go into details but there is a wader in the future. Only prototypes out right now.

Now whether or not you'll have to take out a loan to buy them is yet to be seen. I've heard $600+ but that's heresay.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I gotta buddy that's in the loop with Sitka. They are coming out with waders. He didn't go into details but there is a wader in the future. Only prototypes out right now.

Now whether or not you'll have to take out a loan to buy them is yet to be seen. I've heard $600+ but that's heresay.

That's how much those banded black labels are now. Honestly if it has a good boot on it and lasts I would be willing to pay, I have spend 200 or more on a few pairs only to have them leak. If you add up all the money Ive put into waders I think it would even out.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
That's how much those banded black labels are now. Honestly if it has a good boot on it and lasts I would be willing to pay, I have spend 200 or more on a few pairs only to have them leak. If you add up all the money Ive put into waders I think it would even out.

Where are you buying them from that you can't return them?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
After a quick search there has been some talk of sitka pairing up with Simms due to their mutual connection with Gore and them both being in Bozeman. Neither company makes boots so I am not optimistic about that part. Who wants to start a company?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you buying them from that you can't return them?

They were cabelas and got returned. I had a bass pro pair they couldn't be returned. You have to factor something in for getting wet in the swamp and dealing with retuning them.

Last edited:

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
They were cabelas and got returned. I had a bass pro pair they couldn't be returned. You have to factor something in for getting wet in the swamp and dealing with retuning them.

I agree, just sounded like you could not return them. I know some people think Cabelas does not warrant their waders any longer, but that is not true. Took a 5 year old pair back that started leaking. Did not have receipt and they gave me a store gift card for current price.