More dead dogs in Union county

Trappertod

Six Pointer
The broken necks sounds like a conebear trap.

Being a trapper and dog hunter as well, this sounds like pure meanness. Coni-bears are kill traps, the critters are 99% of the time dead. We as NC trappers have new rules in place to prevent non-target catches on land with these traps. The only conibears that are set on land now are 220 sized for raccoon and they have to be in boxes that a dog almost cannot get into. The story is vague but I hope they catch whoever did it and prosecute them with felonies for each dog killed. We all need to be careful about pinning this on any particular group as we all are going to need to work together in the future to preserve our sport.

Harpoon

Does this help hunters or work against us?

Pawsitive Impact NC Dog Rescue, a North Carolina-based rescue group, wrote on its Facebook page that it posthumously named each of the dead dogs to give them some dignity.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does this help hunters or work against us?

Pawsitive Impact NC Dog Rescue, a North Carolina-based rescue group, wrote on its Facebook page that it posthumously named each of the dead dogs to give them some dignity.

You ever dealt with any of these fools? I have, there isn't a shred of common sense usually in the whole bunch.

I just sat on a committee with the county commissioners here to try to hack out and level out the playing field on a spay/neuter and tether ordinance. As a hunter/breeder I was a minority, one of the few trying to take the teeth they were trying to put into it.

They thrived on showing pics of small dogs that were tethered with oversize chains. They wanted tethering abolished completely, if they couldn't get that they wanted chains done away with. Personally I don't like chaining dogs out but have enough sense to know that if a dog has proper housing and water they can be cared for on a chain just fine.

Well they worded the ordinance that the dog had to be on a cable or run at least 15' long properly secured and with a swivel at each end. Again they came with their pics of small dogs with large chains, one in particular, a daschund that had been secured with a 1/4" chain. They were using it as poster child.

I asked them with the wording on the ordinance what was to stop someone from tethering that same daschund with a 3/8" cable? Which would burden the dog as much or more as that 1/4" chain. Notwithstanding that the average Joe doesn't have crimpers to attach the eyes to these cables and would be using clamps on the cables. Thus would have bolts digging into the dogs necks where they attach the swivels. They looked at me like I had a third eye, they had no comprehension of what I was talking about. All they could comprehend was these little flimsy cable leads you get in a pet store.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I remember when PETA was adopting dogs from shelters some of which were no kill shelters and then euthanizing them. Their thoughts were being dead was better than being owned in captivity. Bunch of freakshows.

Harpoon

NCCATFISHER:

Never worked with any per se, and I can only imagine what you had to deal with......I did have a shareholder two decades + ago who was a nationally known Ridge Back breeder, then board member of something, then rescue and some of the stuff that she did (and told me about) was a little "strange"...of course back then they didnt seem to have an agenda against hunters, unless I just missed it.

I was surprised FOX ran that story though, since its clear it was written to make hunters look the ones with egg on the face...like they dont care enough about their dogs to even name or chip them.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NCCATFISHER:

Never worked with any per se, and I can only imagine what you had to deal with......I did have a shareholder two decades + ago who was a nationally known Ridge Back breeder, then board member of something, then rescue and some of the stuff that she did (and told me about) was a little "strange"...of course back then they didnt seem to have an agenda against hunters, unless I just missed it.

I was surprised FOX ran that story though, since its clear it was written to make hunters look the ones with egg on the face...like they dont care enough about their dogs to even name or chip them.

Yeah, you have that. Most hunters, responsible ones have every means possible to recover their dogs. They have a very large amount of money tied up in each dog. Either in cash outright for them if they bought them as trained dogs or hundreds of hours in training to get them at the top of their game which equates into a very expensive animal either way.

Mine are chipped and of course I use GPS collars on them. My dogs are insured, which will reimburse me if they are lost or killed but quite honestly the money is just an incidental issue. They become family to me, I don't want to loose one period.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Most of mine are chipped I have some young hounds that haven't gotten them yet but they soon will have them.I spend at least a couple of hours each day down at the dog barn so much so that I built a mancave/office/hideaway down there.I try and put my hands on everydog I own each day.I also play them some old time country music helps get them use to other peoples voices.Both the Bear hounds and Fox hounds love it.

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Most of mine are chipped I have some young hounds that haven't gotten them yet but they soon will have them.I spend at least a couple of hours each day down at the dog barn so much so that I built a mancave/office/hideaway down there.I try and put my hands on everydog I own each day.I also play them some old time country music helps get them use to other peoples voices.Both the Bear hounds and Fox hounds love it.

^^Good post. I like your style!! A lab, cur, and a retired walker, are on the sofa beside me as I type this.