When do land leases open up?

Cat_Lady

So after my first year hunting NC gamelands and getting nothing, I definetly want to lease for 2017. Is there a general time of the yr that leases start opening up? Right now there is nothing near Mecklenburg county and sorrounding counties.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Other than the timber company land that you bid on there really isn't a time leases come open. The majority of them are held on to. Members come and go, but the land usually doesn't change hand by choice of the person holding the lease.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
generally after turkey season

This.

Most places money needs to be turned to land owner march to april and you start after turkey season. For year round hunting like ours it runs the same.
They set it based on the hunting season, some older leases ran the same as rules for season so july to june.

But land owner can do anything.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most of them - Never. Even if they change hands, they never come open.

But on the occasion that they do come open, my experience has been it's either early spring- Feb./March or August/Sept. right before the season opens.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Most of them - Never. Even if they change hands, they never come open.

But on the occasion that they do come open, my experience has been it's either early spring- Feb./March or August/Sept. right before the season opens.

I agree with Skyhawk and others with similar comments. My experience so far is that the best leases are had by word of mouth and are taken so quickly that they never make it to a 'public' posting. Which means alot of the leases you do see on sites like craiglist and the like are not top properties. Sure, you may get lucky so its worth a shot I think your best bet is to just start getting the word out to any hunters in the area that you are looking.

Also, I wouldnt be so quick to judge public land based on this year. It was a tough year for public land unless you knew exactly where the deer were bedding. What public land did you hunt? Uwharries?

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
Most leasing opportunities you will never know about unless you personally know someone involved. Many (most?) landowners would never publicly post their land to be leased because they don't want to deal with any more variables than they have to. I know I wouldn't.

Cat_Lady

I agree with Skyhawk and others with similar comments. My experience so far is that the best leases are had by word of mouth and are taken so quickly that they never make it to a 'public' posting. Which means alot of the leases you do see on sites like craiglist and the like are not top properties. Sure, you may get lucky so its worth a shot I think your best bet is to just start getting the word out to any hunters in the area that you are looking.

Also, I wouldnt be so quick to judge public land based on this year. It was a tough year for public land unless you knew exactly where the deer were bedding. What public land did you hunt? Uwharries?

Yep, uwharries. Had campers walking in on our spot (archery only zone) and just basically didn't even SEE anything expect like, 3 squirrels. Would like to lease land so I have some more control over the variables (in people riding horses under my stand)

Richmond County is far, but If that's the best I can get, I'd probably take it.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Leasing land is TOUGH in NC. I can tell you from my experience. A person would be better to buy land or join a good club with deep roots. I know with Albemarle Hunt Club, we have more land than any of the other neighboring hunt clubs because of the connections that the older members in the club have with the landowners and their families. That means a lot. ;)

Last edited:

Cat_Lady

If I lived in Charlotte I would be looking right across the line in SC.

Was thinking of looking in SC too.

I know I could find land out in Chowan County since my boyfriend grew up there and knows everyone, but that's a 6 hour drive eek.
Jealous of all you people from hunting families or those who grew up in NC :)

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I read on another forum that the Crossroads Hunt Club in Fairfield County, South Carolina needs at least one member. I know one of their members. I was supposed to guest hunt there years and years ago because I hosted a hunt with him over here on the coast. It is managed for killing older deer and is in the $1k range. It is near Lake Monticello.

Join this forum and PM the original poster. I do not know him personally but he is your contact.
http://www.scoutdoornews.com/forum/...unt-Club-Fairfield-County-SC-2016-Memberships

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'd second the SC the further you get away from Meck. county the better luck you'll have but NC is tough like a;ready said most people have waiting list of friends and family that will lease especially in populated areas

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
The main issue I have with SC is the high cost of out of state licenses. Add to it the buck fee this year and it ends up being close to 300$ on top of the lease fee. that said, if options are limited it may be worth the cost.

Cat_Lady

I read on another forum that the Crossroads Hunt Club in Fairfield County, South Carolina needs at least one member. I know one of their members. I was supposed to guest hunt there years and years ago because I hosted a hunt with him over here on the coast. It is managed for killing older deer and is in the $1k range. It is near Lake Monticello.

Join this forum and PM the original poster. I do not know him personally but he is your contact.
http://www.scoutdoornews.com/forum/...unt-Club-Fairfield-County-SC-2016-Memberships

Awesome thanks so much!!!

I'll keep u posted...if I ever come across any land for lease I'll make sure to post it on the forum for anyone else who needs it