Power line

11 pointer

Four Pointer
If the land you are leasing has a power line down the middle, can you legally cut down the scattered small pines (about 3ft tall ) and plant something on the power line?

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would think so, because when those pines getting bigger the power company will come by and kill them anyway.

lowery63

Four Pointer
U can actually contact them and they will come cut disc for u to plant something cause u saving them money by not contacting that out to a private company to maintain saying this on my own personal experience

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11 pointer

Four Pointer
sometime in October they came and sprayed the pines and they all turned brown. Lowery63 who would you contact?

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, you can plant it. The power company does not own the land, they just have a right-of-way across it. The land belongs to whoever you lease it from. You may need to talk with the owner to make sure he/she is ok with it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I worked for Duke in their vegetation managment department. Like other have said they just have a right-of-way on the land with the rights to maintain it. Depending on what type of line it is governes how wide the ROW is. With Duke we never did any cutting or moved a tractor at the request of someone unless it presented a power quality issue or it was outside the scope of a private contractor. It was cost prohibitive to move a tractor and crew from spot to spot and take it off of the production cycle. If they sprayed it, it was most likely Garlon and you'll be fine to plant it. If it is just low growth and its no where near the lines you are fine to maintain it yourself. If you do decide to plant it the utility should have a forester on staff that can provide you with a list of approved low growing species that the tree contractors are aware of. They can also arrange a no spray agreement for your property and provide you with signs so that your food plot and low growing species dont get sprayed during routine maintenance.

Last edited:

country

Ten Pointer
Yes you can plant it. I plant the powerline on the property i own. I do suggest you establish a good relationship with the group that maintains the powerline . For example they recently trimmed the limbs on mine. Since they knew I used it for food plots they chipped the limbs instead of mowing them like they do in a lot of areas.

Last edited:

tgr95

Spike
Got this from Duke's ROW management folks:

PLANT MATERIALS THAT CAN BE PLANTED ON DUKE ELECTRIC TRANSMISSION

RIGHTS-OF-WAY

Plant materials that exceed 15-feet in height are not to be planted on Duke Electric Transmission Rights-of-Way in order to protect the public as well as reliability of the lines. The following list of plants generally does not exceed 15-feet in height in the service area of Duke Electric Transmission under the environmental conditions that exist on our rights-of-way. Even though they are on this list, if over years they exceed the 15-foot limit, they will be subject to removal. This is not an all conclusive list.

Note that some species have cultivars that exceed 15-feet and some that will not.

Botanical Name​Common Name ​Mature Height

Aesculus parvifolia​Bottlebrush Buckeye​15’
Amelanchier canadensis​Serviceberry​15’
Ternstroemai (Cleyara) japonica​Japanese Cleyera​10’
Camellia sasanqua​Sasanqua​10’
Corylopsis glabescens​Fragrant Winterhazel​15’
Corylus americana​American Filbert​15’
Cotinus coggygria​Common Smoketree​15’
Cyrilla recemiflora​Swamp Cyrilla​10’**
Elaeagnus pungens​Thorny Elaeagnus​15’
Elaeagnus angustifolia​Russian Tea-Olive​15’
Exochorda racemosa​Pearlbush​15’