Father complains potential baiting ban will ruin hunting for his kid

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I understand his point and I do use a lil corn but i strongly disagree that it takes less scouting. Dump out a bait pile in an area with little deer activity and it wont suddenly fill the woods with deer. Results differ I'm sure but from what I've experienced baiting while acorns are down is a waste of money, once food gets scarce its great for heavily traveled paths to get em to slow down or hang up in a shooting lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll put it out when they need it and use it to stop them where I want them every other time.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I put corn out and mainly use it to see what kind of wildlife is eating it, I killed 1 deer in the last 3 that was actually eating corn when I shot it,the rest were cruising by and or walking trails.I see more deer with out hunting over corn, they are wild and test the wind around my area to much over corn piles.I,m sure there are hunters out there that would never kill a deer with out hunting over a feeder or corn spread out, or using a dog to run a deer by them,hunting is hunting if it is legal do what you feel it takes to get some meat.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
funny to hear the mentality of some hunters myself could care less how another hunts but seems he could do little woodsmanship teaching to go along with the corn. As a side note I think CRC would report if someone farts at one them meetings:D

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Who hunts deer? With the liberal seasons and bag limits there is absolutely no reason for anyone to hunt a deer. I've been shooting them for over 40 years. It's no big deal. I have a living room full of deer mounts. most over 140. If you need bait to kill a deer you either have a very small place to hunt or you are a golfer at heart and need to quit "hunting". :D

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As a side note I think CRC would report if someone farts at one them meetings:D
It's news, to him. I mean he seldom gets out and has no idea how the average Joe really hunts. His idea of hunting here is get out and walk down the gated roads of GL and take pics of the landscape and the occasional tracks he runs across. :rolleyes:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Who hunts deer? With the liberal seasons and bag limits there is absolutely no reason for anyone to hunt a deer. I've been shooting them for over 40 years. It's no big deal. I have a living room full of deer mounts. most over 140. If you need bait to kill a deer you either have a very small place to hunt or you are a golfer at heart and need to quit "hunting". :D

Pics or it didn't happen :D

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Many use corn, others use dogs, others scout and climb a tree, and others do classic still hunting. There are judgmental snobs in all groups.

Hunt legally and have fun.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Many use corn, others use dogs, others scout and climb a tree, and others do classic still hunting. There are judgmental snobs in all groups.

Like it!! If we can't get along amongst ourselves then we become easy pickings:skeerd:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Every time I see a baiting ban, I think about waterfowl hunting. Be careful what you wish for... Baiting bans for deer just guarantee better opportunites for land owners with standing crops to draw deer. Good luck to the guys with no agriculture and no acorns.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Every time I see a baiting ban, I think about waterfowl hunting. Be careful what you wish for... Baiting bans for deer just guarantee better opportunites for land owners with standing crops to draw deer. Good luck to the guys with no agriculture and no acorns.
True Buxndiverdux, the standing crops do draw the deer and if no corn pile for them to come to first or last light they might be on there feet more during other hours...just have to be in right place to catch them...they call it hunting. I use corn some..not all time...but can say that i have killed more not using. If it was banned and strict enforcement, you would not have to be concerned with someone few hundred yards away having a bait pile. We would learn to adapt and probably have a better hunt....but enforcing it would be the problem. Heck,no win situation just look at the states that have a ban, and deer corn on the shelves for sale...how do you think those non-baiters feel. Kinda like the protesting/riots, once you let the jenny out of the jar, hard to put it back.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

yeap,,,,agree and my fundamental issue with many "purists" of any form,,,,,,,I am a purist in some things I do, but never expect others to follow suite,,,,kind of would take the "purity" from it,,,,,,,

whether deer, ducks, turkeys, or other small game,,,,,,hunt them where it satisfies you, accomplishes what you want, is ethical (so judgmental in it's own right) and legal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and take a child when you can,,,,,,,and a dog if it suits you,,,dogs have way more fun hunting then we ever will,,,just look at the face of a beagle/retriever/large hound at the end of a good hunt,,,,,you can see the smile in their eyes,,,,,,,

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd be willing to bet that the reason baiting (as well as unlimited doe harvest) in NC was legalized is because of the explosion of the deer population. If NC was to ban baiting, it would severely decrease the deer harvest and quickly result in deer overpopulation. So, baiting DOES make for a more successful hunting season, so far as numbers go.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd be willing to bet that the reason baiting (as well as unlimited doe harvest) in NC was legalized is because of the explosion of the deer population. If NC was to ban baiting, it would severely decrease the deer harvest and quickly result in deer overpopulation. So, baiting DOES make for a more successful hunting season, so far as numbers go.
Baiting was legal well before the "explosion" of the deer population.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

I don't know about that deer hunters love to hunt and even if they couldn't bait they would still kill just as many think other states like Va do just fine. May be an adjustment period fr some but deer still gonna move and people still gonna hunt. I thnk deer hunters in baiting states get bad rap as if they can't kill a deer without corn and while maybe it makes for some easy hunts I have to believe that people who rely on corn all the time would figure it out

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't know about that deer hunters love to hunt and even if they couldn't bait they would still kill just as many think other states like Va do just fine. May be an adjustment period fr some but deer still gonna move and people still gonna hunt. I thnk deer hunters in baiting states get bad rap as if they can't kill a deer without corn and while maybe it makes for some easy hunts I have to believe that people who rely on corn all the time would figure it out

agree with that,,,,,,hunters (for the most part) aren't stupid,,,,,,,,

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I agree also.........but it would be interesting to see the results of a no baiting situation for a year around here.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I've used it in front of trail cams before just to see what was on our property, but I'm not a fan of hunting over bait. That being said if it's legal and that's what you wanna do by all means go for it. I just feel more accomplished when I harvest a deer without any extra help.