Still-Hunting NC Game Lands?

Rorschach

Spike
Just wondering how many of you have still-hunted game lands for deer, what the ins-and-outs are as far as legality, method of carry (loaded or unloaded), safety while doing so, etc.?

I've looked at the regs digest for the various laws/rules that would come into play, and it appears that 1) it is not legal to still-hunt with a rifle in many counties due to having to be above ground a certain height when centerfire rifle hunting, and 2) there are restrictions on whether or not firearms can be carried loaded legally, although I'm unsure of whether or not this applies to when one is actively hunting.

Another thing that concerns me about the prospect of attempting to still-hunt public land is safety. I'd pretty much be dressed like a pumpkin, I think, if I ever tried it.

Comments, experience, etc.?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
You're gonna get a lot of responses for and against.

I still hunt in places big enough where I have a pretty good expectation that I'm not going to be around other people.
All of this is in the mountains.

I also don't still hunt at prime time. Usually hike in and sit till whenever then still hunt to my afternoon spots or look for sign.

I've killed LOADS of deer still hunting. Especially during the rut when they're on their feet during the day.

Haven't killed a deer from a tree since 2012.

Be smart and considerate. If you pull up to a gate with 5 trucks hunting a 500ac piece, don't be a jackwad and trapse around in the woods.

When I "still hunt", I'm only making it about 100 yards an hour if that far. And, I only still hunt transition areas.

Weapons restrictions are not a factor where I hunt, so idk how to qualify that. And you can have whatever weapon loaded whenever you want.

My guns stay ready to rock from daylight to dark with whatever optic set from 3x to 6x depending on the woods.

I'd say 50% of my deer are killed while I'm on my feet still hunting from 10-3, and the rest are killed at daylight and dark.

Have fun but be smart and courteous.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Don't know if there are any specific informational threads about it.

It usually comes up in two ways.
Number 1: "Some D**khead came walking through under my stand 30 minutes after daylight still hunting for deer on (Insert gameland here)"

or

Number 2: "Hey guys, check out this deer I got while still hunting on (Insert gameland here)"

I see you're in Wake county, so I guess you're mainly asking about Jordan and Butner? I've never been to either, so I'm no help there...

Most of my still hunting is Pisgah and other mountain gamelands, although I did kill a big 8 in blackpowder in Uwharrie in 2015. Still hunting at 11:45 am cruising through an oak flat.

Rorschach

Spike
I hunt Jordan mostly, but also Falls, Harris, Caswell. I've always hunted from a stand, and am trying to think through some possible pitfalls of still-hunting.

I'd be willing to travel an hour or a little more to still hunt, if that opened up many possibilities. Caswell was one place I was considering, being that I've done a lot of turkey hunting there.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive never had any luck still hunting but always been interested in this method. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have and do still hunt game lands. One it is usually during the week. I also now the areas other hunters frequent and don't hunt those areas. I will not hunt an area where I know I might run up on someone, ie other vehicles in the area. I have a slug gun for areas that don't allow rifles.

I love to still hunt nothing like being on your feet with the game, to me it is the ultimate hunt. Archery equipment can make it a real challenge, with the bow in hand I have been plenty close enough to shoot, but too much brush. One account I had slipped up on some does and they were heading my way, 15 yards and too many eyes I couldn't draw. They went on and I went to move and a nice eight was less than 10 yards behind me, I knew I would never slip an arrow through the brush so I just watched him walk away. Rain and wet leaves will be your friend. Look for deer parts and not deer. Generally, walk into the wind but there are other ways to use the wind to your favor also.

Last edited:

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
1. Weekdays are better
2. Bow season is more safe
3. Be considerate
4. Hunt mid day

Just a few suggestions. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Also more folks tend to be out on either-sex days than antlered deer only days in my experience.

But that may not matter where you hunt.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also more folks tend to be out on either-sex days than antlered deer only days in my experience.

omg3.jpg

funny7.jpg

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Ive never had any luck still hunting but always been interested in this method. Any tips?

Hunt the tightest edges you can find rather than the oh so appealing wide open oak flats. (Aerials are your friend.) A thin strip of hardwoods bordered by regenerating cutover or young pines on two or more sides is a good starting point.

Stand still against a tree far more than you walk.

Keep the wind in your face, even if you have to change your direction a hundred times.

When you do walk, move as slowly as possible, glassing the area with binos. When you're moving, you are bringing into view new places to look, and you're becoming visible to animals at the same time. One or two steps at a time, glass. Even squat down slowly to see. If you start to sweat, you're moving too much.

Don't be in a big hurry to move. Still hunting = Less walking than most do. Can't emphasize this enough. It's not a race. You don't need to cover a lot of ground. Aerial scout the right ground and hunt it.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Also....as noted, avoid the gate with a truck already parked. Or if you're like me and know where they've climbed, study an aerial and park there, but go in an entirely different way, even if you have to walk several hundred yards back up the road to enter the woods. They might bump deer to you when they climb down at ten o'clock. Seriously.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Its mostly common sense like already said if the pressure is high not good idea but if not can be productive you will end up bumping way more than you kill so if you have some hot sign and good fresh trails/tracks I'd be in tree instead. I would only do this in bigger woods and always keep in mind on most public land there are more than one entry point so just beause someone wasn't parked where you were you can still run into people

Boojum

Ten Pointer
It's very common here in the mountains. It can be effective. The key is to be still more than you move. You should be taking a half-hour or more to cover 100 yards. If the squirrels don't run up the trees when you go by them, you're about right. There are quite a few who just go out there and walk around through the woods at a pretty normal speed and think they're still hunting. Mostly, they're just screwing up other people's hunts and spreading a lot of human scent around.

As for legality, why on earth would it not be legal to hunt with a loaded gun on a game land? You gonna wait until you see a deer or flush a grouse to jack one in the chamber? I think some may have restrictions about loaded guns in vehicles, but not in the woods.

Rorschach

Spike
I'm not legal expert, but on page 66 of the 2016-2017 regs digest, it says (in red, so it's a new addition to the digest):

"In accordance with Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36,
Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13; the possession of loaded
firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows
and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited on
Butner-Falls of Neuse, Jordan, Kerr Scott, and Vance game
lands unless:
- in the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement
officer;
- being used for hunting or fishing, with devices being unloaded
when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

- being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
- written permission has been received from the District
Commander.

If you're still hunting, would the entire game land be considered a "hunting site"? I wouldn't want to be the test case on this.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I'm not legal expert, but on page 66 of the 2016-2017 regs digest, it says (in red, so it's a new addition to the digest):

"In accordance with Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36,
Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13; the possession of loaded
firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows
and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited on
Butner-Falls of Neuse, Jordan, Kerr Scott, and Vance game
lands unless:
- in the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement
officer;
- being used for hunting or fishing, with devices being unloaded
when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

- being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
- written permission has been received from the District
Commander.

If you're still hunting, would the entire game land be considered a "hunting site"? I wouldn't want to be the test case on this.

Are you serious? Do you think people quail or dove or rabbit hunting walk around with unloaded guns until the bird flies up? If you are in the woods hunting, you are hunting, and yes, the whole game lands is a "hunting site." That's what the game lands are there for. That law seems to be mostly for the purpose of prohibiting folks from carrying loaded guns in their vehicles or outside of hunting season.

Rorschach

Spike
Are you asking if I am serious? I don't write this stuff, man. I'm just trying to interpret the plain words on the page as they're written. It looks nuts reading it, but are we in want for crazy laws (e.g., shouldering an arm brace on a pistol constitutes "redesigning" it into a rifle, or did at one point)?

And I couldn't really care less about the intent or spirit of a law; you can be prosecuted for failing to follow the letter of it.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Are you asking if I am serious? I don't write this stuff, man. I'm just trying to interpret the plain words on the page as they're written. It looks nuts reading it, but are we in want for crazy laws (e.g., shouldering an arm brace on a pistol constitutes "redesigning" it into a rifle, or did at one point)?

And I couldn't really care less about the intent or spirit of a law; you can be prosecuted for failing to follow the letter of it.

I'm too lazy to look up now but if you have a question about wording in the regs digest, refer back to the General Statutes or official WRC rules. The regs digest is a guide and not officially adopted into the Administrative Code.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Hunt the tightest edges you can find rather than the oh so appealing wide open oak flats. (Aerials are your friend.) A thin strip of hardwoods bordered by regenerating cutover or young pines on two or more sides is a good starting point.

Stand still against a tree far more than you walk.

Keep the wind in your face, even if you have to change your direction a hundred times.

When you do walk, move as slowly as possible, glassing the area with binos. When you're moving, you are bringing into view new places to look, and you're becoming visible to animals at the same time. One or two steps at a time, glass. Even squat down slowly to see. If you start to sweat, you're moving too much.

Don't be in a big hurry to move. Still hunting = Less walking than most do. Can't emphasize this enough. It's not a race. You don't need to cover a lot of ground. Aerial scout the right ground and hunt it.

I went to ground more than ten years ago. The above is text book advice. I use a pair of good pair of hi-power autofocus binoculars, I can pick a thicket APART with them from 50 yards and never have to turn a knob. You've gotta see them before they see you or you won't see them. I use trad gear these days and I've had 2 deer within 8 steps, me standing stone still in the middle of a path in a brushy suit. Got anchored on both of them and let down because they were young bucks.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
It's very common here in the mountains. It can be effective. The key is to be still more than you move. You should be taking a half-hour or more to cover 100 yards. If the squirrels don't run up the trees when you go by them, you're about right. There are quite a few who just go out there and walk around through the woods at a pretty normal speed and think they're still hunting. Mostly, they're just screwing up other people's hunts and spreading a lot of human scent around.

As for legality, why on earth would it not be legal to hunt with a loaded gun on a game land? You gonna wait until you see a deer or flush a grouse to jack one in the chamber? I think some may have restrictions about loaded guns in vehicles, but not in the woods.

Good post. Agreed...unloaded in vehicles, loaded while still hunting OR up a tree. The hunt site is where the hunter is...

With th exception being when walking on a wma or gamelands road open to traffic. On wma in sc, i think if you cant shoot down an open road, yer weapon ought to be unloaded until you turn into the woods. But thats just me...i didnt see that in writing. Trying to be prudent.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I went to ground more than ten years ago. The above is text book advice. I use a pair of good pair of hi-power autofocus binoculars, I can pick a thicket APART with them from 50 yards and never have to turn a knob. You've gotta see them before they see you or you won't see them. I use trad gear these days and I've had 2 deer within 8 steps, me standing stone still in the middle of a path in a brushy suit. Got anchored on both of them and let down because they were young bucks.

I miss it. I strictly bowhunted from a stand last fall except for two hunts. used a rifle twice and it was on an outfitted hunt with elevated hunting rules. Dont get me wrong, i love sitting or standing up a tree.

But it is so rewarding to take one from the ground with a gun, no corn, no food plot. Just scouting, woodsmanship, and no spazzing on the unbelievably close shot opportunities.

I will say the best time is the rut. My last public land buck was in late october in marion county, sc. I knew that tight area like the back of my hand and that buck did what he was supposed to do. Not really old, but a nice six point. I will post a pic of the antlers on of these days.

My son shouldve had his first buck ever in that same area the year before, but he had a bad hit, and the blood trail dried up. I was sick not finding that deer and I will to the day i die.

We were in collapsible chairs in my honeyhole area, which i normally hate using, but he prefers to sit. Sure as poop, this buck comes running out of this cutover behind us and he hit it in the front of the shoulder. I hate that i didnt have him take the safest surest lethal shot behind the shoulder. Dangit.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
But it is so rewarding to take one from the ground with a gun, no corn, no food plot. Just scouting, woodsmanship, and no spazzing on the unbelievably close shot opportunities.
Hate your son had a tough time.

But the above is how I feel.
First deer of the year was a doe, hunting from the ground on gamelands in the mountains. Had 7 does come up the mountain, all within 30 yards. Picked out the biggest at 12 yards and let a bolt go.
Super exciting.
Next was blackpowder still hunting in Pisgah. Another doe at 90ish yards at 10 in the morning. She was working through red oaks between a laurel thicket and a 10 year old burn-off
Both my bucks this year were killed from the ground, and both were running transitions late in the morning. One after 9 and one around 10. Although with them, I was stationary since daylight since I knew there was a good deer around both places based on the sign.

I really had more fun with the deer I didn't kill. Had multiple spikes/5pts/small 6's and 7's walk up within 15 yards with no clue I was there.
Had a huge bodied basket 6pt chasing 7 does all around me in NW musket season. Literally 8 deer running laps around a 1acre circle with me standing in the middle. None of them knew I was in the world. It was awesome.
My buddy also passed the same 6 after the group moved down the mountain and took one of the does the buck was chasing.

Yes, the long drives and LONG walks to get to places where I'm comfortable to still hunt are annoying. But, it sure is fun.

It helps that the three (or 4) biggest bucks I've ever killed were still-hunting on my feet late morning/early afternoon. I know that any minute one might walk into my lap.

To the OP. Good luck if you get out there and try it.
But, before that you need to spend LOTS of time pouring over topo and aerial maps, pay attention to the forecasted wind direction, look at access points, and don't walk over good ground to get where you "think" you should go.

Wind is a biggie. I have a couple mountains I hunt where I simply won't go unless I've got a W-NW-N wind if I still hunt. Same thing with a couple others where the only possible way to hunt them is a S-SW.
Or, if you're getting a weird SE-E-NE wind, you may have to walk half a mile past and around where you want to hunt and circle back in.

Once you get a couple seasons of hunting like this under your belt, you will have plenty of options to pick from. It's takes a lot of time and energy, but once you get that much time invested in finding spots, all you need to do is check the forecast 2 days before you want to hunt and let the weather tell you where to go.

Have fun!

Rorschach

Spike
Thanks a lot for the words, guys.

There seems to be a little bit of a pattern regarding hunting late morning and early afternoon - is there a reason for this? I've heard stand-hunters (and have verified this myself) say for years that early morning and late evening is the best time of day to see deer moving. Is there some sort of confirmation bias thing kicking in here, where, since that's the only time they go, of course they see the majority of deer moving that they've observed?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
There seems to be a little bit of a pattern regarding hunting late morning and early afternoon - is there a reason for this? I've heard stand-hunters (and have verified this myself) say for years that early morning and late evening is the best time of day to see deer moving. Is there some sort of confirmation bias thing kicking in here, where, since that's the only time they go, of course they see the majority of deer moving that they've observed?

Considering a high number of people hunt over corn or plots (hopefully not on gamelands), that makes sense.

I feel like on most places I hunt, you're seeing more natural deer movement that isn't as influenced or conditioned by people's activity.
Like I said before, I concentrate on transitions during the rut for bucks, and it's not unusual for me to not see a deer until 9:30-10am.

There's a flip side too. I have a ball bowhunting on the ground just off the App. Trail, where the deer have been conditioned to hikers all Spring and Summer. They move all day.
Killed a doe last year at 8 yards directly downwind of me.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer

Deer typically do move more during those prime hours, particularly over a man-provided food source (ag field, plot, corn pile). But those aren't the only hours of the day deer are awake, just typically when they feel safest at a field edge, plot, or wide open oak flat.

This is why many of us have killed our biggest bucks ever in early season during those prime times. Deer are still in a food-first mode, the woods haven't been spooked much yet, and the deer aren't educated.

IMO, the reason for so many mid-morning kills by still hunting (and stand hunters who go into the deeper woods, in the thicker stuff) is they've quietly invaded the deer's bedroom and pantry. When the deer wake up for a mid-morning nap, there the hunter is!

There are few absolutes in deer hunting. My own experiences contradict some of what I've just typed. My first bow kill was 11/5 last fall and it was at 9 AM and it was over corn on a logging road that butted up against a thick bottom. LOL. But I did know the deer were bedding nearby. It wasn't a freakish accident. I was just surprised it happened mid morning rather than that prime time.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My early morning and late evening hunts are not completely driven by what is perceived best deer movement times. It's that both my wife and I have full time M-F jobs so the weekend is when we can do our household chores. Therefore I often don't hunt late morning - early afternoon because I'm cutting the grass or doing some other house maintenance. In a few years, I'll retire. Then you'll see me out there at other times of the day.

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Every deer I've ever killed with a gun was done while Still Hunting, but that was on our private property in WV. I'll be in the Croatan this year and many people have recommended I solely hunt from my climber for safety reasons. Not thrilled about it, to me being on my feet is much more fun.

Rorschach

Spike
To be honest, the main reason I was asking is because, given my performance on public lands this past year (pretty poor, where I've usually my limit or close every year for 7 or 8 years straight), I was wondering if still-hunting would improve my chances. Seems fun too, but that's secondary.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
To be honest, the main reason I was asking is because, given my performance on public lands this past year (pretty poor, where I've usually my limit or close every year for 7 or 8 years straight), I was wondering if still-hunting would improve my chances. Seems fun too, but that's secondary.

I always see more deer when I'm using my gun on the ground than I do when I'm in a stand with my bow. I'll sit against a tree in a spot that I think looks good, but after a little bit if nothing comes, the wind changes, etc etc I get up and go somewhere else. Very rarely do I shoot while I'm waiting in one spot. Usually it's while I'm transitioning, depending on my visibility and the conditions I either move incredibly slowly and try to see the deer before they see me, or I move at an average pace trying to jump them from their beds. If you're in an area where you can do so safely and legally, and you move slowly and play the wind, I'd say you've got a serious shot at filling more tags.