Still-Hunting NC Game Lands?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
To be honest, the main reason I was asking is because, given my performance on public lands this past year (pretty poor, where I've usually my limit or close every year for 7 or 8 years straight), I was wondering if still-hunting would improve my chances. Seems fun too, but that's secondary.

IMO the biggest advantage is the extra ground you get to see, and every year as conditions change, you can adapt and hit a new spot. Have fun!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Any of y'all ever walk up wind of a bedding area then with a wide loop still hunt coming back in down wind? I have actually had some decent success doing this at times.

It has always amazed me of how close you can actually slip up on deer. Once I was still hunting and was in some really thick stuff. I glimpsed something moving by me, at first I couldn't tell exactly what it was. Couple of seconds later I realized it was 2 wild hogs. They moved on, the wind was in my favor, so I was going to see if I could catch up to them. A hundred yards up that hammock I killed both of them. That was an exciting hunt for sure.

Another neat hunt was the small spike I was only feet away from and he was still asleep. Just for a few seconds though, he woke and stared at me then stood and walked away, taking a few steps and looking back.

One lesson I learned the hard way, I was in the act of easing down a ridge top and saw a huge rack sticking up behind a large log. When I stopped moving, I wasn't ready and he bolted. The lesson I learned that day if, I'm moving and see a bedded deer, don't stop moving the direction your going, then in one swift motion bring the weapon up aim and shoot.

I had fun with a doe one day, I was still hunting a large dried up beaver pond. There was a line of willows on a slight ridge down the middle. I was easing down the willows, when I decided to take a break and sit for a while. I noticed a rub at the edge of the willows about 100 yards away where the mature hardwoods started. I hunted closer to the rub and realized a doe was bedded there. I got as close as I thought I could 15 yds or so. She was watching me like a hawk, so I never stopped moving and made a slight angle away from her, never making eye contact. She sprawled out flat on the ground and nearly broke her neck trying to watch me as I eased away. I moved off about 75 to 100 yds and sat on a log watching her for about an hour and she never got up.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
To be honest, the main reason I was asking is because, given my performance on public lands this past year (pretty poor, where I've usually my limit or close every year for 7 or 8 years straight), I was wondering if still-hunting would improve my chances. Seems fun too, but that's secondary.

I think your experience this year on gamelands (Jordan) would be typical this year. I've been hunting Jordan as long as you have and this is my first year that I didn't shoot a deer. I think it was a combination of less deer and huge surplus of acorns. A topic probably for another thread - has the change from moderate to maximum season for Jordan resulted in a decrease in the deer population. I'm seeing less and less deer, even during the offseason. The results are the same for our game cameras.

Rorschach

Spike
Not sure about the max season thing, but here's another thing to take to the bank: I saw more coyotes while out hunting this year than I have at all other times in my life, combined. Not speaking in hyperbole here. I was amazed.

Could simply be a correlation (and no causal relationship). Who knows? But, either way, there's a soft datapoint.

I think your experience this year on gamelands (Jordan) would be typical this year. I've been hunting Jordan as long as you have and this is my first year that I didn't shoot a deer. I think it was a combination of less deer and huge surplus of acorns. A topic probably for another thread - has the change from moderate to maximum season for Jordan resulted in a decrease in the deer population. I'm seeing less and less deer, even during the offseason. The results are the same for our game cameras.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
One lesson I learned the hard way, I was in the act of easing down a ridge top and saw a huge rack sticking up behind a large log. When I stopped moving, I wasn't ready and he bolted. The lesson I learned that day if, I'm moving and see a bedded deer, don't stop moving the direction your going, then in one swift motion bring the weapon up aim and shoot.

That's how it is on the App. Trail. Soon as you stop they think they're busted and get gone. I keep slipping once I see one and only stop when the safety is off and I'm ready to shoot. Usually only have about 2 seconds before their gone. Fun as heck though!