Bow hunting strategy

DeerMechanic

Anybody ever went into the woods with your bow and walked way back in there and found a good spot and wish you had a climber with you but it was really too far to carry it? Anybody ever just picked a tree in that spot and free climbed it and hunted out of it for a while? Ive never done this but I thought about it the other day and it seems like a cool idea to free climb a tree and shoot one from it in a remote area maybe too far to carry a stand to.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Might have to walk a while to find the perfect tree. But it'd be worth it if you found it.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Iff'n a feller thinks his stand is to heavy, does he really wanna tote a deer out?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
My friend in KS kills 170's standing on a 6 foot stump, if that's what you want to do, go for it. I'd rather use a harness and a climber and get up there though.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Was hunting up in VA several years ago and noticed several deer entering the field at one certain spot but there weren't any good straight trees to climb. Our last evening of the hunt I hiked across the field (several hundred acres) and found a huge tree with low limbs near that spot that was perfect for free climbing. I hooked my bow to a rope, tied it onto my belt loop, and commenced to climbing. Saw several deer that evening but because of the way I was positioned on the tree limb I couldn't turn to the side they were on. It was not nearly as comfortable as hunting from my summit either. That was back when I was in college and couldn't afford a good lightweight climber. Now I just pack a climber into those places and like QBD2 said, if it's too far to pack my climber into then its too far to drag a deer out.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Anybody ever went into the woods with your bow and walked way back in there and found a good spot and wish you had a climber with you but it was really too far to carry it? Anybody ever just picked a tree in that spot and free climbed it and hunted out of it for a while? Ive never done this but I thought about it the other day and it seems like a cool idea to free climb a tree and shoot one from it in a remote area maybe too far to carry a stand to.

Hunting mountain. I sit on big rocks that have trails going above or below them.

Also, if it's really steep there's usually some jacked up old oak tree that grows almost horizontal. Sometimes will slide out one of those if there are trails coming around below them.

I ain't gonna climb a straight vertical tree. Tried it a couple times, and like some others said, you just can't maneuver safely to mount whatever weapon you're using.

Too, if you climb a tree with enough limbs on it to provide safe climbing, it seems like it would be a royal PITA to get your gun/bow up or down on a string.

Then, if you kill one, imagine trying to climb down when you're all hopped up and shaking from the adrenaline.

Just hunt on the ground. You prolly aren't gonna climb high enough to get any advantage with the wind vs sitting on the ground.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I to am to old and fat to be climbing and wouldn't be up high enough to do me any good. I'd check the are good many areas may seem to remote but after hunting public ground and big tracts I've found there are always some youngins that will take a tree stand as far as anyone will walk and if its truly that remote I'd just take it n and leave it maybe not hanging n the tree but hide it in some thick rhodo

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many years and pounds ago I used to carry a handful of screw in steps in a waist pack, along with a coil of soft braid rope and would climb almost anywhere I wanted. I used the rope to pull up my weapon and then tie either a sling, or wrap it to fashion a seat.
I killed many a deer and hog back in the swamps like that back in the day, and I'm sure it would still work today.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Sorta, I've used my rock climbing harness as a makeshift treesaddle a few times. I wouldn't want to pull an all dayer like that, but for a couple of hours it's doable and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable than sitting on a limb.

Lastoneout

Button Buck
Check out lone wolf tree stands man! I used to use a climber and tree hunt, but having a LW and sticks literally changed the way I hunt. You can hang a stand in pretty much any tree you have the balls to climb. The more branches the less sticks you have to use. I carry my in and out every time takes 10 minutes or less for me to get set at 20 ft. You will need a good harness and line men's rope (I use muddy) but I promise you'll find your self hunting in places you couldn't dream of with a climber! Few examples ...

51ed7ba3c6aa4007ffd3a5bb2af5e086.jpg
2a1caa1a63156f9e706e812b047a96d7.jpg
cda60b3b9f400c8f902c2292d3546431.jpg
17cd0836b0a7e2b4ec1909bae85a7a18.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeerMechanic

Iff'n a feller thinks his stand is to heavy, does he really wanna tote a deer out?

Toting a deer is hard enough, agreed. It would be nice not to have a stand on your back while dragging out woudn't it? It also is harder to leave the stand and drag the deer a mile out and then go back and get the stand and carry it out, a lot of trips and its 11 pm before you get out of the woods. You guys had some great ideas and thank you for them

DeerMechanic

I just realized that my API grand slam weighs a staggering 28 lbs lol! I just looked up a stand that weighs 12 lbs man that would be nice! may have to look into getting one of those.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I've done it, please be careful. I was usually very uncomfortable. I would just hunt from the ground, if I didn't want to carry the stand.

mag44thunder

Six Pointer
back in the BC days,( before compounds), we would climb any tree we could. a white pine worked great. we had a locust tree that had blown into the top of a white pine, where we could walk up the locust at about a 30 degree angle and sit among the branches. then along came the old baker stands, we thought we were in high cotton then.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer

^^^^^^^

Also, sitting in a bare tree doesn't seem the safest option. When you see that buck and your heart starts pumping, one misstep and its a really long crawl out. I would thinks its possible, but not advisable. Would rather just brush up against a tree and take my chances.