Halifax Co hunting changes still in the news

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hatcher laid it out for them.........

Apparently the outlaw dog guys have stirred someone up in the county more than they usually do.

It will not likely end well for the good dog guys either.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Officer Hatcher pretty well hit the nail on the head when he addressed the issue of enforcement. You can pass all the laws you want, but only the law-abiding will comply. And with only a handful of Wardens to cover a large area, the scofflaws will continue to act with impunity.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Well being that I hunt in Halifax County (still hunt only) I just emailed the board members. I don't like the 8ft rule, we have older members who can't climb stands anymore and we have built ground blinds for them.

fats

Four Pointer
I'm not even old, and I'm loving the idea of deer hunting out of ground blinds. It works!

fats

Four Pointer
This ordeal is nothing more than five or six renegades that think they are above the law.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This ordeal is nothing more than five or six renegades that think they are above the law.

Like the rest of our country, the renegades rule the roost of the law. They keep breaking them and the rest of us suffer from their BS.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Northampton county was getting just as bad in 2012. The local dog clubs were fairly good about obeying but there was 2 that constantly would do stuff that caused problems for me and others. I hate that for all. The game wardens up there were fed up with the lack of respect for the laws back then.... Probably time for some changes.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I hunt in a few counties that have a few rules like these,some are good some are bad the 8 foot rule is put in for still hunters mostly,because if a dog hunter pulls into a field and gets on a dog box most of the time he is 8 foot off the ground.I hunt in one county that has had certain roads posted for 20 years or more were you cannot be out on the right away with a loaded gun,never had a problem with a gun being loaded in the truck as long you don't take the gun out on the R/W and the truck door is not open {judges statement in a case against a guy hunting with me.} .They can ask for alot but in the long run if you don't have enough people to enforce them you are not doing much.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I have gotten replies back from most of the county comiss on the board. One has asked me to call him tomorrow.

The reason for the 8ft rule one of the said was people running onto property that was not theirs and shooting at deer not knowing what was beyond what they could see. My response was, so the issues is they are already breaking a law by going on land they don't have permission to be on and shooting. I advised him that legal hunters should not be penalized for the bad actions of a few. And I mean that for the good dog hunters as well as still hunters.