Rolling on

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had another good night tonight. Just took Rampage as I was hunting out of the boat and Bat isn't that easy to handle in the boat. I think I am going to bite the bullet and let him go the next time if I make another boat hunt though.

Three trees and took two coons. Pretty nice night.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nice,,,,never had that kind of hunt (boat based coon hunt),,,,,
Pretty easy here except most of the banks where I am hunting is choked with saw briers. If you were a hide hunter (when they were bringing money) you could mop up. We saw multiples setting up in trees last night but we just kept on trucking. They are still rutting.

We would find a decent place to cast the dog and sent them on if we saw any on the bank, sometimes it was close sometimes it may be quite a distance from where we saw them.

It is a great way to start pups, we ride the lake during the summer and dump them out right on them, we call them drive by's. LOL

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pretty easy here except most of the banks where I am hunting is choked with saw briers. If you were a hide hunter (when they were bringing money) you could mop up. We saw multiples setting up in trees last night but we just kept on trucking. They are still rutting.

We would find a decent place to cast the dog and sent them on if we saw any on the bank, sometimes it was close sometimes it may be quite a distance from where we saw them.

It is a great way to start pups, we ride the lake during the summer and dump them out right on them, we call them drive by's. LOL

when I was coonhuntin' we never thought to do that,,,,,good idea,,,,,,,

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
And from the way I read this you made it home without getting wet. LOL. I'd definitely want to have a well behaved dog before I went night hunting in a boat. LOL. Congrats on a good hunt.

I did take my bird dog with me in a boat fishing in Spain. He loved it cause we camped on an island and he could run rabbits all around the island.

He didn't like water except to drink. Second time we approached the island he stepped off the front of the boat as if he thought he could walk on water. I wish I had a camera in hand to film his look when he surfaced. I swear he thought he could walk on water but found out that he wasn't that talented. LOL. And instead of swimming to the island he turned around and started swimming back to the boat. I reversed, circled and backed up to the bank and only then did he swim to shore. He was a very smart bird dog but not a very smart water dog.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And from the way I read this you made it home without getting wet. LOL. I'd definitely want to have a well behaved dog before I went night hunting in a boat. LOL. Congrats on a good hunt.

I did take my bird dog with me in a boat fishing in Spain. He loved it cause we camped on an island and he could run rabbits all around the island.

He didn't like water except to drink. Second time we approached the island he stepped off the front of the boat as if he thought he could walk on water. I wish I had a camera in hand to film his look when he surfaced. I swear he thought he could walk on water but found out that he wasn't that talented. LOL. And instead of swimming to the island he turned around and started swimming back to the boat. I reversed, circled and backed up to the bank and only then did he swim to shore. He was a very smart bird dog but not a very smart water dog.
I used to hunt Bat's grandfather out of the boat and never leash him for years, he wouldn't budge to I sent him on. I saw a pic where a guy had one jump from a boat and he hit it with the prop and that was it for me, I fastened all mine from then on no matter how well they listen.

Rampage is exceptionally docile in the boat even when he winds one or even if he sees one but he is leashed. Bat is a little more rambunctious, but still is manageable.

I see untold number of duck hunters every year hauling :donk:donk:donk with their dogs standing on the front of the boat. If they hit something or the dog loose their footing and go over there is no way thy could stop to the at leas run over them and easily het it with the prop. If they ever see a pic like I did they would think better of that.

workennels

Eight Pointer
Awesome, I started a pup from boat that I sold back to my buddy who is now dual grand. Many good nights on the boat tons of fun and excellent for getting young dogs on hot tracks