Any top notch bow shops left to go to

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
So just found out that adrenaline outdoors is now out of business. I really liked him working on my bow and im looking for a good knowledgeable place to go. Will not be letting a box store work on my bow. Would love if someone could point me in a direction towards a professional person.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Godwin's Archery in Raeford is a pretty nice shop with a good selection and decently knowledgeable staff. They also do a 3D shoot about once a month and are an Obsession Bows dealer now. I'll be giving them my business since Mark closed down for my general archery needs that I don't do myself.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Godwin's Archery in Raeford is a pretty nice shop with a good selection and decently knowledgeable staff. They also do a 3D shoot about once a month and are an Obsession Bows dealer now. I'll be giving them my business since Mark closed down for my general archery needs that I don't do myself.

yeap,,,,I've known him since he was a young fellow and his dad was still in the service (down at the original, and still running, Godwin's Outdoors),,,,,,,Alton and crew are fine folks,,,will treat you right

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Where are you located? I drive an hour to Boneyard Archery in Summerfield (back side of Guilford County). It's more than worth the drive. He gives individual attention to the customer and is a perfectionist when it comes to the bow. It's a shame, archery has just about became a rich man's sport and where so few are willing to spend thousands each year. We will probably see more and more shops closing. Outdoor Life or F & S just wrote an article about this.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Hour drive from Gboro to China Grove to get to S&S Graham.
Worth it for sure.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's a shame, archery has just about became a rich man's sport and where so few are willing to spend thousands each year. We will probably see more and more shops closing. Outdoor Life or F & S just wrote an article about this.

I don't follow? What causes one to spend "thousands each year"? Yes bows are expensive (if you want the latest and greatest) but no one "needs" to buy one every dang year just cause new ones come out

Buy used

Buy once and keep for a decade or so

Last edited:

Black Jack

Four Pointer
I don't follow? What causes one to spend "thousands each year"? Yes bows are expensive (if you want the latest and greatest) but no one "needs" to buy one every dang year just cause new ones come out

Buy used

Exactly!
I have a Hoyt that I purchased about 20 years ago. Still shoots pretty good.
Granted my buddy let me shoot his new Carbon fiber $1000+ bow (I know it was a Hoyt but can't remember the series) and it was night and day from mine. It was like going from riding in an old farm truck to a Cadillac, but it didn't make me want to go out and drop that much on one!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Buy used

True but that leads to closed bow shops.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer

Buy used

Exactly, and that is why small archery retailers are going out of business. New gear is too expensive. Most people buy used, Archery Retailer, makes no profit off you buying used. It's smart. I do it. I can't spend $1000 on new bow every year and another $600- $1000 outfitting it. If you are going to have the latest and greatest though, it's a rich man's sport, and there aren't enough rich men interested in it to keep great shops like Adrenaline open anymore.

Rc187

Six Pointer
Dang that is a lil bit of a drive for me. anything around the triangle worth anything?
Triple A archery in oak Ridge small shop personal service great attention to detail in setting up bows great prices and an all around great guy to deal with his name is Doug his number is 336-643-0420 if you go and check him out tell him Ricky sent you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't been yet but giving all the changes in shops around the triangle I was going to check out Mace in Mebane.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Is it just archery shops or locally-owned sporting goods in general? Either is a bummer.

A great question, one we should all maybe think about a little more. Should we do all we can to save a few dollars, I'm guilty, buying our stuff used online and on sale at the big box. Or should we be willing to spend a little more to keep the guy down the road that we love him and his business open? Maybe there is a happy median?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I hate to see the mom and pop outdoor stores closing down. I worked at a gun shop when I was in college. Probably the best part time job a guy could have IMO. Work on guns and bows everyday. Our local shops have closed, reopened and closed. We now have one indepedent bow shop in town, but we also have a Dicks, Dunhams, and Academy Sports. We also have WalMart, and Overtons carrying archery gear. It is going to be tough for them.

The local shops have been up and down so often that I purchased a press and everything else I need to get it done. I have a solid shop 45 minutes from here, but I rarely have the time to drive that far for anything that I can have shipped or free.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hate to see the mom and pop outdoor stores closing down. I worked at a gun shop when I was in college. Probably the best part time job a guy could have IMO. Work on guns and bows everyday. Our local shops have closed, reopened and closed. We now have one indepedent bow shop in town, but we also have a Dicks, Dunhams, and Academy Sports. We also have WalMart, and Overtons carrying archery gear. It is going to be tough for them.

The local shops have been up and down so often that I purchased a press and everything else I need to get it done. I have a solid shop 45 minutes from here, but I rarely have the time to drive that far for anything that I can have shipped or free.

This is the main reason I have acquired a press, draw board, arrow saw and fletching jig. Time is hard to come by when you start figuring an 1.5 hr round trip.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Triple A archery in oak Ridge small shop personal service great attention to detail in setting up bows great prices and an all around great guy to deal with his name is Doug his number is 336-643-0420 if you go and check him out tell him Ricky sent you.

Doug is a good guy. He helps out with my son's Hunter Safety Shooting Team. He refletched some arrows for us, he had a quick turnaround and most of all did a good job. A good shop that stays open is hard to come by anymore.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Rc187

Six Pointer
Doug is a good guy. He helps out with my son's Hunter Safety Shooting Team. He refletched some arrows for us, he had a quick turnaround and most of all did a good job. A good shop that stays open is hard to come by anymore.

Yep I have been shopping with Doug for 6 years now started as a customer and now have a true friend he is always willing to help anyone he can. He does great work at a great price I have shopped at a lot of the archery shops between the coast and the mountains here Virginia Tennessee and trust Doug with my setup more than anyone I have ever met. I recommend him to everyone looking for a shop and have yet to have anyone speak a negative word about him.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Yep I have been shopping with Doug for 6 years now started as a customer and now have a true friend he is always willing to help anyone he can. He does great work at a great price I have shopped at a lot of the archery shops between the coast and the mountains here Virginia Tennessee and trust Doug with my setup more than anyone I have ever met. I recommend him to everyone looking for a shop and have yet to have anyone speak a negative word about him.

We talked for about an hour when we were there. I used to go to Murphy's near Stokesdale before he retired. Doug told me Ray is who taught him about working on bows. That made me feel pretty good about using him in the future. I've been referring people to him and hope he keeps doing well.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you think finding compound shops is tough just try finding anything longbow or recurve related. I have Terry's Archery Plus near me, great folks who have been there 30 years or better, and a lot of people drive a long way to use them. Terry and TJ are outstanding with folks, they order for me and keep basic quick stuff I use regularly in stock. Otherwise I'm online and on my own....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
True but that leads to closed bow shops.

yeap, sure does - especially if you allow high end bows to be your main seller,,,,or bow items only,,,,,tough to compete with such a small subset (inventory and customer base),,,,,,

Exactly, and that is why small archery retailers are going out of business. New gear is too expensive. Most people buy used, Archery Retailer, makes no profit off you buying used. It's smart. I do it. I can't spend $1000 on new bow every year and another $600- $1000 outfitting it. If you are going to have the latest and greatest though, it's a rich man's sport, and there aren't enough rich men interested in it to keep great shops like Adrenaline open anymore.

then the business model was wrong,,,,,,it's not a rich man's sport anymore than driving is a rich person's venue,,,,,now some bows are for folks with plenty of folding money,,,,but lots of lower end options,,,,,,,,

bottom line,,,I liked Adrenaline as much as the next person,,,bought stands and other items from him,,,,,my wife even shopped there when he had fishing stuff,,,,,when he quit with the fishing stuff she never went back in,,,,

I don't know why he closed,,,,none of my business,,,,,but willing to bet it was a dollar and cents analysis that drove it,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you think finding compound shops is tough just try finding anything longbow or recurve related. I have Terry's Archery Plus near me, great folks who have been there 30 years or better, and a lot of people drive a long way to use them. Terry and TJ are outstanding with folks, they order for me and keep basic quick stuff I use regularly in stock. Otherwise I'm online and on my own....

no kinding,,,,,,,,I get lucky sometimes (Godwin's carries some items) but for the most part it's online,,,,,,,

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tell us where you are located so guys can help you out. "Piedmont" is a big area.

Around here it would be S&S Graham in China Grove, but since you mentioned Triangle, I'm guessing that's a little far for you.

Last edited:

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Thanks a lot fellas yall have for sure given me lots of good ideas. im in the Roxboro/Caswell area. Think I may have found a guy to do some bow work for me. Lol I really need to learn how to do the stuff myself but don't really have the time or money to get everything needed and feel I would just mess something up. After reading all these posts I really hate all the mom and pop stores are going out of business. sometimes I would go out of my way to give them my business.

bigdaddy

Eight Pointer

I will agree with you guys. Doug does all my work and I have had no problems.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I'm an hour south of you. I can work on it. If you need stuff just let me know to order it before you come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk