Gobbling reports

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Sitting in Uwharrie, sweating uncontrollably and not a thing moving. Wanted to go this morning, but the night before got the better of me

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddy that I took last Saturday up to the Rock, said he still has not heard a bird gobble yet where he is hunting in Davidson county.

Last edited:

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
You must hunt close to home, they don't fly that far.:p

I wish, got up at 3:30 left the house at 4 from Mooresville drove 45 mins to Locust . Got set up and shot my bird at 6:45. Great day , well worth the sacrifice. Will say, that at 50 it's getting harder to do the early morning thing.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
No gobbles on the roost, gobbled shortly after fly down, then was on fire! Gobbled all the way to us! Got my 10 year old nephew his first turkey this morning! Been a blessed season!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddy heard one gobbling good this morning while fishing on Belews Lake near Stokesdale.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Not a sound. Even though I have yet to hear a gobble on this property I have heard one on neighboring land every morning I've hunted except for today. However, I have photographic evidence that I should try an afternoon hunt. I'm going to take off Friday as it will be the last day I can hunt this season.

9bI6fq9.jpg

25contender

Twelve Pointer
No doubt it is hard to setup, call and hunt in the afternoon. Especially when it is hot. That being said I have killed many many birds in the afternoon. Good luck!!

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not a sound this morning. Got in very early and set up close to where the landowner was sure they've been roosting. I'm pretty sure they were a few properties over. Not much room to hunt on this piece, but there's sign they've been there.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Not a sound. Even though I have yet to hear a gobble on this property I have heard one on neighboring land every morning I've hunted except for today. However, I have photographic evidence that I should try an afternoon hunt. I'm going to take off Friday as it will be the last day I can hunt this season.

9bI6fq9.jpg

Good Luck Wolfman, that is a nice one. Hope you get him.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Had one pretty fired up yesterday but he was across the river and he didn't want to make the trip to my side, about 6:30 am. He was answering every call, then I tried to let him lead and me answer, but I heard him eventually start heading in the wrong direction based on the decreasing volume of his gobbles. Heard another about 75 yards at about 8:30 in a swamp bottom near a creek. he answered 2 calls then went silent. I moved to try to find him but never did, then spent the rest of the morning second guessing myself on whether I just have just stayed put and not been so aggressive. Not positive what happened but I hadn't been hearing much in that area the last 2 weeks so glad there is a turkey or two still in the area. Gonna take another shot friday and saturday and pull a couple marathon hunts. Lets pray for decent weather.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I got out late but heard 3 on the ground. They might as well have been across the Grand Canyon with all the stuff between us. Try em again tomorrow.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Not much here to hunt at all. I did call a hen in this past weekend so at least there is hope for poults...maybe next year...

WNCBear

Button Buck
I struck out this year. I know there are still a few days left, but schedule is going to keep me out of the field.

I heard one gobbler on opening morning on the ridge opposite where I was sitting. He rang out once and then I didn't hear him again. I've been out 10+ times since and have seen a few at distance; I have not heard anything else at all.

The gentleman who owns the land I hunt (Madison County) lives on-site and told me he has seen very few birds this year relative to years past.

Quiet in the mountains this year...at least where I was.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Great morning. Heard 3-4 gobblers (over the property line of course). They answered everything I threw at them. Unfortunately they still had hens roosted with them. Gobbles, yelps, cutts, fly down cackles. I heard it all this morning. I thought for sure at least one bird would break off and come visit but the crowd went the opposite direction and I had to head to work. Good times though.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Quiet again this morning. Saw about 5-6 gobblers in a field where I was turned down for permission months ago exactly 1.2 miles up the road from my home.

Birds talked good this morning but were across the creek in a cow pasture. Wouldn't cross

I had the same issue this morning. 2 or 3 birds gobbling their heads off on the roost, and for about 15-20 minutes after fly-down, but they were across a creek that is the property line and would not cross.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had three hammering it in the tree. Never a sound on the ground. Went to another spot and had two gobbling but steadily going away.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Friend of mine in Berti county had one hammering around 9am yesterday while he was doing some work at his house. Still hammering a hour later. After he was done with what he had to do got his gear went and set up then called him in 10 minutes later!! His second bird.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I had one gobbling his head off last Saturday morning at first lite. However, it was due to a series of passing emergency vehicles with their sirens blaring. He ended up dead by 0640. ;)
That was only the second bird I have heard all season, but the 8th legal bird that I've called in since April 1. It's amazing how quiet they've been.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Someone has turned on a switch In our area. Birds have been on fire these last two days. Big Toms have been taken. Know of three all over 20lbs, with 11" beards each.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I heard a bird gobble on the roost this evening across the road. I have not seen or heard that bird since the evening of April 15. Funny how they seem to disappear and then pop back up .

Last edited:

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Got on same one across river at 12 he was hot and just before he could fly across river a hen led him away

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk