Gobbling reports

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Heard 5 on permit hunt,new ground calledin a hen gobbler 300 ads away housed after she went that way. Plenty of sigh and bear tracks.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Hear nothing on permit hunt after scouting a spot that looked promising. Spoke to a mouthy hen. She did not get the memo that calling too loud and too often will not bring in a gobbler.

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Well, so much for the theory they will gobble after a storm. Went Wednesday and Thursday, not a peep from a gobbler. Such is turkey hunting I guess.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I've had a total of 7 legal bearded birds within 40 yards of me this season, and killed two of them. BUT, I have only heard one (1) total turkey gobble all year, and was April 1st, on a youth hunt. I have to say that this has been the quietest turkey season I had since I started messing with them 30+/- years ago. The two that I killed both came in without making a single sound.

That, or I'm getting old and can't hear anymore, which may be the case!!

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I've had a total of 7 legal bearded birds within 40 yards of me this season, and killed two of them. BUT, I have only heard one (1) total turkey gobble all year, and was April 1st, on a youth hunt. I have to say that this has been the quietest turkey season I had since I started messing with them 30+/- years ago. The two that I killed both came in without making a single sound.

That, or I'm getting old and can't hear anymore, which may be the case!!

Don't think it's your hearing. Our farms in Halifax County have taken on two dramatic changes in the last 3/4 years. Less and less birds coming to fields, and less gobbling on the ground. I know part of the no gobbling on the ground is hens, have seen it first hand every season. However, this is the 4th season in a row where we have been stalked by or encountered coyotes while calling. Not trying to jack thread...so, no gobbling all week on our land. However, we have seen 3 different groups of Toms and Jakes together with no hens. One group of 4 Jakes and a Tom, then another of three Toms. No strutting, no gobbling, all feeding in the am. We did see one tom and hen yest.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Silent stock is allthat is breeding the gobbling trait gets killed. Out. And varmints and people make them silent.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Heard 1 this am at singletary, these turkeys walk several miles. Tracked 2 3 miles one way.after camping. 2. days makes it hard to love turkey hunting.lol

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Our birds tend to gobble pretty good but I will tell you that I am pretty aggressive with Coyotes and Bobcats (when season is in). I will shoot a coyote instead of a turkey while turkey hunting no questions asked.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I think I'm fooling with a hermit gobbler that likes to roost on the property line. I need to give up on him but my acreage is limited. He gobbled a dozen times on the limb. I heard him land within 100 yards of me but not a peep after that.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Silent stock is allthat is breeding the gobbling trait gets killed. Out. And varmints and people make them silent.

Sorry lucky but I'm not buying that gobbling traits get bred out. If turkeys didn't talk they'd be extinct.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

that nonsense has been around for decades and yet they are still mouthy. :)

how long is it going to take for them to quit?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Heard atleast 30-40 gobbles from multiple birds, swore they were on the ground and was busted at 730 by one in the tree as I circled. Will try again from different side of them tmr.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I was out from 5:30 to 11:30 yesterday with nothing but gonna give it another try tomorrow. might have to change up my approach and try something different.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Hiked 7 miles on public land this morning and heard nothing...might be my first season with no bird.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Gobbling and hunting has been best yet the past three days. Birds gobbling hard on roost then picking up as hens leave. Had big bird come in on a string Thursday morning. Swing and a miss but makes 4:30 am a little easier.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Back home, going to give it go on familiar ground, heard they gobbled good up here. if it would cool down 25 degrees would be much better.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
that nonsense has been around for decades and yet they are still mouthy. :)

how long is it going to take for them to quit?
Yep but I know of some that do not gobble or was head gobbling,but seen and killed being silent from weeks of being silent, mouthy ones do not live long.lol

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Got a vocal bird but he's with a vocal hen and on the neighbors property. About to back out and let em have it until another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Finally found one about 7 and he was on fire...to bad he was headed for Georgia in a hurry. Nothing on the roost.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
Hunted Stanley co this morning, had at least 4 different birds gobbling at every sound. One came home with me.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
heard multiple birds on roost, no players.

went dead on ground. i knew i was in trouble when only loud calling got a reply.

next round Sunday morning.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Couple gobbles on roost, then bout 7:30 3 different birds fired up on the ground from different areas. My son killed one of them bout 10 minutes later.