Gobbling reports

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Not that it matters cause I don't turkey hunt and live on the other side of The mountains. But I went out at 7am this morning to warm my truck up for my daughter and for ten minutes, it sounded like one continuous gobble. I mean literally for ten minutes I just stood out there listening. There wasn't 3 seconds in that whole time a bird wasnt gobbling. Damndest thing I've heard in a long time. Had to be 6-8 different birds gobbling back and forth. Like I said earlier, I couldn't care any less about shooting a turkey (although I've ran over a hen and a gobbler since moving here) but I do enjoy hearing them like they were this morning. Temp was 28 degrees going by the thermometer on truck dash.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just got home heard birds gobbling hard on limb then quiet on ground did see where 2 were running alone so maybe they are splitting up there was still bunch of them wadded up together in one spot hens jakes and toms all roosted within 75 yards each other and all went into field when sun came up

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
21 degrees this morning and I just saw a big turkey with beard swaying as he walked through a wheat field 1/2 mile from the house. All by himself, about 75 yards off the road.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Not that it matters cause I don't turkey hunt and live on the other side of The mountains. But I went out at 7am this morning to warm my truck up for my daughter and for ten minutes, it sounded like one continuous gobble. I mean literally for ten minutes I just stood out there listening. There wasn't 3 seconds in that whole time a bird wasnt gobbling. Damndest thing I've heard in a long time. Had to be 6-8 different birds gobbling back and forth. Like I said earlier, I couldn't care any less about shooting a turkey (although I've ran over a hen and a gobbler since moving here) but I do enjoy hearing them like they were this morning. Temp was 28 degrees going by the thermometer on truck dash.
well would you consider letting a fella come try his hand at calling in one of those birds??

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Walked the new lease yesterday. Turned onto one of the side roads and saw 2 gobblers together! Walked into a hardwood flat and i think I saw a hen flap her wings then run off. Walked the other side of the road and saw 2 more turkeys. Could of been the same 2 gobblers I 1st saw, was in the same area, they may have been coming back to roost where I was. Gave me alot of optimism for the new lease and the season ahead! Cant wait

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Saw some birds today in the fields. Seemed like smaller flocks than I have been seeing. Could be some were still in the woods or starting to break up.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
well would you consider letting a fella come try his hand at calling in one of those birds??

Haha. I couldn't care less but where I think these birds were, you'd have to call'em across the French Broad river and through a couple of front yards, then across the highway into my wide open 13 acres......I think you'd be wasting a high dollar NR license but if your up to the challenge, have at it. I haven't seen a turkey on my place since last early fall. And I kept corn out for the deer all fall, winter and still have some out. Never seen one in the corn. There all around me, just not on me. If I saw a big gobbler in the yard, I'd probably shoot one just to get him mounted. God knows I got enough ducks mounted, I need some diversity. Hahaha

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
planning to go to the lease at day break tomorrow and sunday to listen. Do turkeys still gobble from the roost in the rain? Any tips on where I should listen from?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
planning to go to the lease at day break tomorrow and sunday to listen. Do turkeys still gobble from the roost in the rain? Any tips on where I should listen from?

Yes they will gobble in rain bout only 2 things that will stop them is really high wind or real thick fog and even then they may gobble some on them mornings. As far as where to liten from pick highest point and if creek or field they like to be near there if raining they like to roost in pines

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Yes they will gobble in rain bout only 2 things that will stop them is really high wind or real thick fog and even then they may gobble some on them mornings. As far as where to liten from pick highest point and if creek or field they like to be near there if raining they like to roost in pines

Thanks man! I'll have my owl hooter with me too.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Heard my first gobble of the year this am. Was prepping a load of cars at crossroads ford in fuqay this morning about 11ish and one gobbled out of nowhere

Could have been someone's pet for all I know though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Bust this morning heard 3-4 gobbles long way off right at daylight none on ground higher elevations wind was pretty strong was expecting more this morning

whynot

Spike
Went out first thing this morning and watched one gobble and gobble and gobble and fan all by himself. I guess his ladies won't coming to him. Heard another one or two off in the distance. I don't know who was more fired up this morning me or the turkey.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
dang windy where I was at this AM scouting but had one at 20 yds with his hen,,,,strutting and gobbling,,,,,,,got lucky,,,seen them before they saw me and they wandered on in to where I was at,,,,,,reckon I know where I will try to be in the AM,,,,,,

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Heard 5 yesterday am. 4 Toms and a Jake. Halifax County. With the wind and fog they didn't gobble very long. Nothing like that did a month ago. Camera has them all broken into small groups of 8-12.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
fun drive from SC to northern VA,,,,,many fields with flocks and strutters,,,,,,,,

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
dang windy where I was at this AM scouting but had one at 20 yds with his hen,,,,strutting and gobbling,,,,,,,got lucky,,,seen them before they saw me and they wandered on in to where I was at,,,,,,reckon I know where I will try to be in the AM,,,,,,

did he not show up or just not play?

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Not a sound. Spent 45 minutes walking 200 acre property. Nothing on camera either. Up until last season I should have heard 4 or 5 birds. Not sure what has happened.