Help me find some Chain pickerel

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I def. want to catch one some day! They are a unique fish for sure! Are they native to NC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I def. want to catch one some day! They are a unique fish for sure! Are they native to NC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Native? yes Native from Maine to Florida over to La. and up the Mississippi valley . Their stonghold though is east coast streams and millponds. World record caught in Georgia.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that would work,,,,I don't fry fish a whole lot (fat enough as it is),,,,,,last time I cooked one I grilled it if I recall correctly,,,,,,,grilled whole with a little cracker boy seasoning on it,,,,,,,

real white meat with a nice sweet taste,,,,,

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Grilled is how I typically fixed them. I've heard that pickling them is the way to go but I've never done it to know for sure.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Grilled is how I typically fixed them. I've heard that pickling them is the way to go but I've never done it to know for sure.

all of the pike species do well pickled,,,,,guess it's a Scandinavian thing,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
smh...............

,,,that pickled shad recipe started out (with me) used for pickled pike and pickled suckers back up in northern Wisconsin in the 70's,,,,,,,,,something that good has to stick around!!!

heck you probably have a jar, and some crackers on your coonhunting 4-wheeler in case you or the pups get hungry!!

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
,,,that pickled shad recipe started out (with me) used for pickled pike and pickled suckers back up in northern Wisconsin in the 70's,,,,,,,,,something that good has to stick around!!!

heck you probably have a jar, and some crackers on your coonhunting 4-wheeler in case you or the pups get hungry!!
I keep a jar in the kennel to make the dogs puke if they ingest something they shouldn't. :cool:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
How do you cook 'em? Fillet and fry them?

We used to filet and fry pike, walleye, and smallmouth growing up, up north. That's what I did here, but forgot any seasoning. My daughter, hearing we were having fish, whipped up some tartar sauce. Never had that with freshwater fish before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I should add that I caught both pike from the bank, the first on a Mirrolure (had trout on my mind, too!) and the 2nd on a Beetlespin - yellow, larger size justlike when I was a kid.

A man and two women came to fish the bridge as I was getting ready to leave. They asked if I'd. Aight anything. Before I could answer, the cooler in my truck started rocking and thumping. They were eager to see but surprisingly not interested in how I caught them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
As I have said before you are spot on with 99% of what you post but your strong dislike of pickled fish is as wrong as wrong can be.

He can't help it , taste buds burnt out from that pigs foot!! my buds I used to fish with - I mentioned grilling a catfish filet,,,,,,they about died,,, "catfish is supposed to be fried" they said,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He can't help it , taste buds burnt out from that pigs foot!! my buds I used to fish with - I mentioned grilling a catfish filet,,,,,,they about died,,, "catfish is supposed to be fried" they said,,,
I tend to agree, my favorite way for most fish is fried. But I do like grilled, especially some shellfish.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Ha ha.

673bd00fdfefaf95ba116b9b411d0d0c.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

WVhillbilly

Four Pointer
Mayo Lake in Person County is full of them!!! I've went this time of year and caught 6-8 chain pickerel's in a day. I was throwing a flashy crankbait back into shallow grass pockets and they destroyed them. They started out silver, and by the end of the day didn't have hardly any paint left. Fun fighting fish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Mayo Lake in Person County is full of them!!! I've went this time of year and caught 6-8 chain pickerel's in a day. I was throwing a flashy crankbait back into shallow grass pockets and they destroyed them. They started out silver, and by the end of the day didn't have hardly any paint left. Fun fighting fish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Last time I fished mayo I caught more pickerels than bass. They love a #5 shadrap

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

cyclops

Spike
you can find a lot of them in the blackwater creeks around here the best time is over in august when the yellow flies wont leave you alone use light tackle and some thing red mepps lures work good but i would cut 2 of the hooks off so they would be easier to take off

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Nice jacks! And I would have to be literally starving before I would eat a pickled fish, I think. :D