Follow up on dog shooting

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In a case heard today about a shooting involving a bear dog earlier this season Case number 2017CR050018, 2017CR050019 and 2017CR700016

Robert Alton Webb Jr shot and killed a bear dog belonging to an ECHA member. He was bear hunting when a dog ran a bear to him. He shot the bear and then shot the dog. He then removed the dogs collars and was in the process of covering up his crime when the hunting party found him.

He was sentenced to a night in jail, $5000 restitution, 2 years forfeiture of license and 2 years probation. It is my understanding that now civil litigation will be pending.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
A decent penalty, but not enough in my opinion. I would have liked to see a week in jail, $10,000 restitution, 2 years probation , 2 years loss of hunting license plus 40 hours community service to make the public aware that hound hunters and their hounds have rights too.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Having already been found guilty in criminal court and having to go to civil court he is going to need to bring his pocket book with him that's were he will have to pay some large money.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Update, I was given some bad information, he lost his license for 7 years.

For me personally this would be more damaging to me. That is why I try to follow the law all the time. Nothing is worth me losing my ability to have fun with my kids hunting and fishing.

He should have been thankful to have killed the bear, I would have been. Then held the dog so that the hunters could have picked him up and thanked them as well.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I cant see why anyone would shoot a dog even a yard dog while hunting. I have seen deer that I otherwise would not have seen because of a yard dog or a hunting dog. Dog hunting is a lot of fun. Beats the heck out of still hunting day after day.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For me personally this would be more damaging to me. That is why I try to follow the law all the time. Nothing is worth me losing my ability to have fun with my kids hunting and fishing.

He should have been thankful to have killed the bear, I would have been. Then held the dog so that the hunters could have picked him up and thanked them as well.

That would be the worst part of the punishment as well. I believe that stops you from fishing and hunting in 40+ states.