Small Game 1st Time Hunter

NitroRoo

Button Buck
Hi everyone. Glad to have found this forum tonight. Just started reading some posts and still have a lot to learn.

I am looking to teach my son to hunt, and want to start us out small with small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc). Problem is I was raised by a non-hunting family so I have just as much to learn as my son does (he's 12 I'm 35). Other than a dove hunting day and one unsuccessful deer hunt as a teenager I have no experience hunting (but I am comfortable with firearms and firearm safety).

I bought my son a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas and we've been having an awesome time target shooting etc. We both took the NC hunter education course in January and I got my license.

I know the end of this month is the end of the season, and I was really hoping to take him out one time before the season ends. And that pretty much leaves just this weekend.

We live in Charlotte and I'm willing to drive, but I'm hoping someone here might have some advice. I'm mainly concerned about running into other hunters... I don't want to spoil someone else's day by walking through the woods where others are hunting (or worse, be mistaken for game ourselves!) We will obviously wear orange etc... just hoping someone has some advice. I've seen quite a few people say Uwharrie on the weekend during deer season is like a war zone so I just want to have the best experience for him possible.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The majority of times it isn't a big deal with any of the small game hunters if you walk up on them by mistake. Just speak, and move on to another area if it is prime time. More times than not you will wind up in a conversation with them unless as I said it is prime time. It is totally the opposite as big game hunting.

Just do your best to practice safe hunting/shooting and as you said wear orange and you shouldn't have any issues at all.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Right now on Uwharrie,you're going to see more horse-back riders than anything else..and that's just on the main block.

Last edited:

NitroRoo

Button Buck
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. We had a really great day in the woods Saturday. Started out at the flintlock range and then hiked all up and down around the Dutch John Creek. Just about had the place to ourselves. Unfortunately after a full afternoon of hiking 3 or 4 miles and sitting and waiting for over an hour in a couple spots we didn't see a single squirrel. I think it was due to the high winds on Saturday. Saw plenty of nests in the trees and acorns on the ground. Still was a great day with my son.

96b128820d2b4e3147481106d06b3a15.jpg

Now it's time to figure out what we can try our hands at next. Maybe turkey?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Glad y'all had a great time...try some of the out of the way smaller tracts for turkey.There are a bunch of good spots around there.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If you go out for turkey on public land be extra careful. It's amazing what people will shoot at without positive id. Calls may call in another hunter, and especially don't have anything red or blue on you.

NitroRoo

Button Buck
If you go out for turkey on public land be extra careful. It's amazing what people will shoot at without positive id. Calls may call in another hunter, and especially don't have anything red or blue on you.

Thank you for the advice. Safety is definitely one of my biggest concerns, and was the primary reason for even creating this post. Since we are brand new to hunting and don't really know anyone who does hunt, I am trying to learn as much as I can from people who are more experienced than us (which is pretty much everyone on this forum!). Thanks again!

Lou

Eight Pointer
First off congratulations to you for taking the time to get into hunting with your son. It's not an easy sport to get into if you come from a non-hunting family, I know from first hand experience.

Can't offer you much advice on turkey hunting in your part of the state, but here's some advice. Don't let that 10/22 sit idle waiting for next small game season to come around. Punching paper on the range can get boring but here are a few ideas to keep it fun and keep building rifleman skills throughout the year.

First, mix up the shooting positions. I've been coaching kids in 4-position .22 rifle for 16 years and it's amazing (and humbling) for them to see how different their groups look when they move from shooting on a bench to prone, to sitting, kneeling, and standing.

Be sure you teach your son how to use the sling when shooting. It's his best friend in the woods. If you don't know yourself, look up "hasty sling" on Youtube and you'll undoubtedly find ways to quickly use a carry sling to stabilize your shots in all positions.

Mix up the targets when practicing at the range. (Oh and be sure to PRACTICE!) If you're on a range that permits paper punching only, then get (or print) some life-sized squirrel targets to mix up with the bullseyes. Shoot them from several positions, at least offhand (standing) & sitting (on the ground not at the bench), if the range allows it, using the sling.

If the range allows it, get a metal swinging target for .22s as well. It's a hoot for shooters and there's no resetting or changing targets needed. Place it at squirrel range. If it rings, you hit it, if it doesn't you missed. Definitely mixes up the shooting and eliminates the potential boredom of paper punching. It's useful to count your hits when shooting at it from the bench, and compare them to you hits when shooting offhand and sitting with the sling. Very humbling!

Good luck and keep that kid shooting!!

Lou