Closing the February portion of grouse season

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I know this is a hot button topic but me personally I think they should close it. Majority of birds killed are killed in this month and they have made it . I know a lot of people will say that killing them doesn't hurt the population but you take a good shot and a good dog and they can wipe out birds that have made it...... that's my 2 cents worth. What do others think??

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Pennsylvania just voted to shorten their grouse season.

Personally I'd rather see a 2 bird per day bag limit instead of 3.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Nope, don't want to see FEB closed to grouse! Opportunities can be limited on public land when deer hunting is open. JAN/FEB are the key times for me in the grouse woods. 3 grouse to 2 grouse limit ha, ha....I'm fortunate to get 3 shots in a day with most of those being misses. I just don't see this impacting either way on the grouse population with the extremely light pressure on our NC birds to begin with! If you have access to prime private land then you have a potential bounty at hand versus public land hunters. Keep it as is and let the conscious and abilities of the hunter dictate their take.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Does it matter? You can't kill more than 30 birds in a season anyway.

The fact NC still has a season limit on grouse is ridiculous.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
What are these "grouse" that you speak of? Seems like we used to have some of those here, I can't remember.