Advice for Shad fishing near Weldon

flyingtigerusa

Six Pointer
my son wants to fish shad next week. we don't have boat, is there any good fishing spot from bank, near Weldon?

thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23mako

Ten Pointer
Just to the left of the ramp (looking down the river) is a good spot. Usually frowned upon if you fish off the dock.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just to the left of the ramp (looking down the river) is a good spot. Usually frowned upon if you fish off the dock.
If you get right down to it, it could get you a citation if you did.
It is unlawful to:
Use the area for swimming, camping, operating concessions or for any use other than the launching and recovery of boats and parking of vehicles and boat trailers, except where facilities for a particular use are provided.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
When are you planning to go. If the area around the landing is too crowded, you can drive down under the 301 bridge and fish from the bank below the bridge. The access road is to the right of the road just before you cross the river.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Plus big ol signs - "no fishing from dock",,,,,,

That seems to be a foreign language to a LOT of folks. I've gotten pretty mean about it in the past few years, I just pull up on them and if they get tangled, too bad....
As many Wardens that monitor the ramp at Weldon you would think they could manage the problem a little better instead of just having family reunions at the top of the ramp....

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer

I must be thinking about a different ramp. "Downriver" at Weldon is to the right of the ramp, I thought.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I must be thinking about a different ramp. "Downriver" at Weldon is to the right of the ramp, I thought.

I must be, because I'm thinking of the spot at the 301 bridge. Are you talking about the 48 bridge? I've never been there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
301 bridge is upsteam of Weldon ramp maybe a couple hundred yards. 48 is 4-5 miles above(upstream) 301 bridge

you can catch all you want Between the dock and the ramp at Weldon ramp.

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Ha! I couldn't remember the dock. I've only stopped in there to look while driving through. I didn't see a true dock in Google Maps but I think the water level was up!

5edf441290d43b28caf0896ec015c97d.jpg

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The map above is showing the water level WAY up. The big rock isn't even visible..... Unless somebody stole it???

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ha! I couldn't remember the dock. I've only stopped in there to look while driving through. I didn't see a true dock in Google Maps but I think the water level was up!

5edf441290d43b28caf0896ec015c97d.jpg

the dock is that straight strip of material that looks like it is just floating there directly above the boat ramp,,,,when the water gets as high as it is in that picture, it floods the base of the dock

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
here is an image from 2011 that shows the dock better, with the water down,,,,,,,

gyM0aAAPMbyGxI3t83SpwRK7gLOL10OQ9UdLGptaQ3NyBd5Iic3nytOvCZQy_q1CQ7YCTEeBiULBCg=w363-h220

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
The word I got from the local wildlife department was that they were going to be fixing the dock issue so that it is accessible on high water.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I should check the date on the highwater pic. I was there recently and not a single rock was visible. No rapids. It looked like the Roanoke of Scotland Neck or Williamston, not Weldon.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I should check the date on the highwater pic. I was there recently and not a single rock was visible. No rapids. It looked like the Roanoke of Scotland Neck or Williamston, not Weldon.

the current picture, the one you posted, is from November, 2015

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I've never fished for shad so I wasn't sure how long the run lasted... speaking of which... if I want to catch some I'd better get there now, next week, or am I too late already?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I've never fished for shad so I wasn't sure how long the run lasted... speaking of which... if I want to catch some I'd better get there now, next week, or am I too late already?

Water temp determines their movement, 63 to 65 will start them up the river from the ocean and 66 to 69 will send them back....

23mako

Ten Pointer
I remember when there wasn't a dock there. It was always fun to watch people drive up onto that hill and count the curse words. Think this was also before they installed the stones to walk on.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Not too late

Shad tourney on 25 march

Caught some from shore this afternoon - boats were doing way better - they are there but not thick

Gonna try again tomorrow if I get done up north early enough

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

Hickories will stay usually to mid april or 1st week in april. White shad will stay till mid may . caught them as late as May 11th . most years I catch some 1st week of may.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks folks. Does it get pretty crowded on shore? My son is a somewhat inexperienced caster and it could be tough for him if things get tight.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
It can get somewhat crowded but whereas most of the time when you arrive at a fishing spot you want to see what? you usually want to see no one else at your spot. But Weldon is like Pier fishing. if you arrive and no one is between the dock and ramp then the fish are probably NOT biting. you want to see people there.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
If its crowded around the boat ramp theres a spot downstream of the ramp that is usually good.
Just walk along the edge of the woods and you will see some paths people have made going down.

Its right along where that turn in the road is by the brick building ....if you can see that telephone pole in the pic its right in that area.

6a9fbd688e607a5c56c7ab1d2186587a.jpg

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks, everyone. Might try to get out there soon. (Cold weather snap, though...)