New House

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We will be purchasing a new house in Oak Ridge later this month. It has 2.5 acres and over 2/3 is grass field. It has a 3 stall barn with a lean to on the back. I'm assuming a prior owner sold off the surrounding land when they owned horses or whatever. I am trying to figure out some things to keep. I am definitely going to move one of my bee hives to the property, start a garden and get some chickens. I am trying to figure out some other things to do with the property.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Muscadines! Blackberries and blueberries also grow well here. Fruit trees don't do as well usually.

Or if your neighbors aren't too close, you can put in a small field of sunflowers for the doves.

Those are all the things I did. But everyone has their own interests.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Muscadines! Blackberries and blueberries also grow well here. Fruit trees don't do as well usually.

Or if your neighbors aren't too close, you can put in a small field of sunflowers for the doves.

Those are all the things I did. But everyone has their own interests.

Unfortunately I am surrounded by neighbors. I'll have to stick with elevated bow hunting. We will definitely try blueberries and blackberries along the split rail fence. My kids love them. My aunt has a whole breeding setup for rabbits. I may set that up under the lean-to. My aunt lost the heart to kill them. She messed up and got a screamer.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rabbits provide an amazing source of fish bait in the form of worms under the cage. Keep a layer of leaves or old hay to mix in and you'll never have to buy worms again. They are also very, very tasty...but too cuddly and soft to become a meal at my house as soft hearted as my wife is. Been there and done that, and had plenty of fish bait while waiting on the critters to kick the bucket.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to raise rabbits for a few years when I was a kid. Rabbit pot pie doesn't taste exactly like chicken. I could always tell when Mom was trying to slip one in. I ate it, but I didn't like it as good as chicken.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats on the new place,a little Crimson clover in the field would be great for the bees too.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go ahead and throw out 50 pounds of corn...and plan for a feeder. Those are fun to put a game cam on to see your visitors you may not know are there.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Persimmons. Some of the grafted female varieties like Meader, Deer Magnet, and Yates start producing really fast and draw deer like crazy.

sbellamysr

How many months or years does it take before Persimmon produce fruit?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
How many months or years does it take before Persimmon produce fruit?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've got the American variety and planted 3 trees about 6-7 years ago. One tree started producing fruit about two years ago, one this past year, and one has never produced. But then I read where the male tree may not bear fruit and only produce the pollen for female trees to bear.

I just pulled this from the NC State page for Varieties to get: Fuyu, Jiro, Hanagosho (very good pollen source). (Only large-fruited Oriental persimmons are recommended for North Carolina.)

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We cancelled the contract on the Oak Ridge property. After closer inspection there was too much $$ that had to be spent in the first year or two. Hopefully someone else is able to make it work. It was a cool property. We did manage to find a new constructions that has almost 2 acres in Summerfield. It runs next to a power line easement so should have some deer traffic. ;)