Peacock Bass

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Probably going in a few months for some Peacocks in and around Miami. Anyone recommend a good guide? plan on a guide one day and fishing some canals on my own the next day.

Thanks, Mack

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
All I can say is you will have a blast.not sure on guides,I was there after hurricane andrew24 25 years ago.the wildlife had only stocked them for a couple years so the state record was getting broke once a week.we had a ball catching them on tiny torpedos

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
If you get the chance try a beetle spin in some of the canals for Oscars hardest fighting panfish ever,like a bream on steroids,

You don't need a guide. I spent a lot of time fishing those canals as a kid. If I knew of someone down there I'd recommend them to you but you really don't need one. You will catch more than peacock bass too. Largemouth abound, you might get lucky and spot a tarpon rolling on the surface (still a little early but they may be around in singles) and be ready for the fight when you tie into a snakehead. Remember if you catch one of those disgusting things to terminate it with extreme prejudice and leave it for the coons to clean up. The Tamiami Canal is probably my favorite to fish. If you have a Judge I'd take it along with some 410 rounds for it because there a boatload of moccasins and about half as many rattlers down there.

PickinTicks

Eight Pointer
Mack, contact Tom Greene, owner of Custom Rod and Reel in Lighthouse Point, FL, 954-781-5600. Tommy and I went to Boca Raton high school. I trust and respect him. His shop is about 35 miles north of Miami. Checkout his website and articles written about him. Tommy or his employees can recommend a fishing guide for Miami.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
If you get the chance try a beetle spin in some of the canals for Oscars hardest fighting panfish ever,like a bream on steroids,

I agree 100%! We make several trips per year to catch Oscars. They have made there way north a good ways. Lake O has them now. They are great to eat.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You don't need a guide. I spent a lot of time fishing those canals as a kid. If I knew of someone down there I'd recommend them to you but you really don't need one. You will catch more than peacock bass too. Largemouth abound, you might get lucky and spot a tarpon rolling on the surface (still a little early but they may be around in singles) and be ready for the fight when you tie into a snakehead. Remember if you catch one of those disgusting things to terminate it with extreme prejudice and leave it for the coons to clean up. The Tamiami Canal is probably my favorite to fish. If you have a Judge I'd take it along with some 410 rounds for it because there a boatload of moccasins and about half as many rattlers down there.
Why feed the raccoons the snakeheads? They taste great.

I don't eat them and never have. I dont care for any of the invasive species in Florida but I despise snakeheads and kill everyone I can catch. They may be good table fair and so keep them if you want but I don't. I hate that they are uncontrollable at this stage and that they will continue to destroy the native fish populations in my home so kill them and let the coons eat them.

The current state record is 9.57 pounds. There was one caught that was 12 pounds and 25.5 inches but for whatever reason was not submitted for a state record. Don't know why it wasn't submitted. The biggest one I ever caught was a touch over 7 and about 21 inches long. I'd guess the average is about 5-6 pounds...very similar in size to largemouth in southern Florida.