Black widow MA II. ??

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Anyone ever owned or shot one. Look at one and just looking for any insight on this model. I know it's an older model. Kinda scared of the weight of it 63lbs at 28 inch draw. Might just be too much!

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never shot an MA II, but I've got 60 and 65 lb. limbs for my take down, and that's a lot of weight. I bought mine (used) with 60's and had a chance to pick up the matching 65's for it from a friend, thinking that I would use them after I worked up to it. You know - maybe for elk some day. WRONG. I've shot the 65's a couple of times, but there's no question they are too much for me. The 60's are all I want. And that's @ 27", so I'm really pulling about 57#.

Everyone is different. You might can handle them, but one thing you don't want is to be overbowed. Err on the side of staying well within your comfort range.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
63@28" traditional would kick my :donk:donk:donk... I have no problem with 70lb speed bows. I can get away with 53-54, but 47-50 is just about right depending on the stick.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Smart move. That's the reason you see so many hi# bows for sale. Limb technology has come a long ways folks, I've got several sets of longbow and recurve limbs in the low to mid 40's that pop 180fps with 10gpp, 190's and some pushing 200fps+ with 8-9gpp. That'll kill anything on the continent.

Coming from a world where 80+% let-off is the norm, 50# should be no problem, right? It is, more times than not. I shot 70# wheels for over 3 decades and I fell for it too. Learn on a lighter bow that you can totally control without shaking like a dog passing a peach pit and creating bad habits that take months to overcome. Then work up if you feel the need. I'm betting you won't.