Are any of your clubs changing the number of deer that can be killed by each member?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am considering some changes within our club this year. We have seen a significant decline in the deer herd since 2014. I do not feel that the full support of the membership is behind me when I just talk it up. I think changes in the (PRINTED) overall rules are in order this coming season.

Just curious if anyone else is considering changes...........

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gonna change no doe after nov 1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Do you think that will put everyone in a mad dash to kill them early? I am thinking about changing to a one doe per season rule----may cost me a member or two, but we have to make changes now!

lowery63

Four Pointer
We have discussed it and everyone in the club has seen some decline in numbers so we gonna stay away from trying to harvest pregnant doe and for the most part most of our guy were Hunting hoen then anyways

lowery63

Four Pointer
And i wouldn't worry about losing a member or two cause if they leave there not looking to grow the club anyways

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We have discussed it and everyone in the club has seen some decline in numbers so we gonna stay away from trying to harvest pregnant doe and for the most part most of our guy were Hunting hoen then anyways

I get limiting doe harvest on land but not sure I understand the logic here,,,,,,so bear with me,,,,,if you kill a doe in October, she may or may not be pregnant or she may get bred by a buck in the next few weeks or months,,,,,,,,,,you shoot one in November / December she may or may not be pregnant or she may get bred by a buck in the next few weeks or months,,,,,,,,

so what difference does it make when she dies?

lowery63

Four Pointer
Most studies have shown doe get bred in the month of November and December and if u shoot a doe when she pregnant your most likely killing 2 or three deer at that point but i no what we gonna do to control the land we have

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And i wouldn't worry about losing a member or two cause if they leave there not looking to grow the club anyways

Yep no worries here....I am currently over on head count due to several of our sons finishing college and getting jobs......automatic member if they want to pay. I am looking to get the mindset changed overall in the club with what a quality buck is..... we killed 13-15 bucks last year and not one would score 100 inches..... Several were under our minimum size so they were fined 100 bucks each......that didn't seem to phase them so that will be a 250 fine this coming year. Something has got to change.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Most studies have shown doe get bred in the month of November and December and if u shoot a doe when she pregnant your most likely killing 2 or three deer at that point but i no what we gonna do to control the land we have

didn't answer what I was asking, but that's OK,,,,I was just trying to understand

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I get limiting doe harvest on land but not sure I understand the logic here,,,,,,so bear with me,,,,,if you kill a doe in October, she may or may not be pregnant or she may get bred by a buck in the next few weeks or months,,,,,,,,,,you shoot one in November / December she may or may not be pregnant or she may get bred by a buck in the next few weeks or months,,,,,,,,

so what difference does it make when she dies?
I would have to agree.....overall limit for the season will do more than the shortening the season on does

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I would have to agree.....overall limit for the season will do more than the shortening the season on does

that's what I think - a dead doe isn't having any fawns,,,,doesn't matter what month she gets bred, or what month she dies,,,,,,,,,,,,

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
In SC, clubs traditionally wait to blast does until very late in the very long season. They're trying not to pressure bucks away from stand sites in early season or during the rut. The problem is they've wasted the bucks' energies imo by killing a doe already bred that has been consuming food resources for a couple months, etc. I've gutted and skinned a doe with a fetus in the womb in late December. Kind of a bummer but it was in one of those high DSM south carolina counties. But it did reinforce the kill 'em early or not at all theory in my head I'd always heard recommended.

In a perfect world, doe killing would take place before breeding. I know you're thinking what difference does it make on the buck? He enjoys it, etc, right? True enough. But we kill so many bucks early and the survivors are driven to breed every doe that comes back into estrous. That's some serious wear and tear on a buck. And then to have the bred doe just get whacked?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With only 1000 acres we would be pushing it to kill one per member(17). Fortunately there are 7-10 of us that do not require the doe kill down there at the club. We have never had a doe limit....just a 2 buck limit (about to be changed).....but the doe population has become the controlling mechanism in the population that has never been a real problem until the last few years. If everyone waits for the NCWRC to make the correct adjustments.......it will be too late.

I will stick with the earlier posting by Woodmoose........does not matter when you kill them if the end up dead.....control it now or pay later

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, I will propose them to the membership for approval voting, but I know where the majority stand currently on most issues. I just get stuck with writing the changes up and sending them out as President. Must have a majority vote to change anything. It is so hard to get everyone together for meetings these days it is easier to type up the proposed adjustments and send them out and let everyone read and vote by email at their own pace. We don't have many rules as it is .....just need to adjust a few things for the good of the club......most of us are like minded....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
There are many places/clubs in NC, that very well may need to change their doe harvest rules. Many people will reduce their harvest voluntarily, some will not.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are many places/clubs in NC, that very well may need to change their doe harvest rules. Many people will reduce their harvest voluntarily, some will not.

Most members have already adjusted.........and still there are some that think they need to kill one every time they drive up to the club. Just a different hunting mindset altogether... they may not stay in and that is fine.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No, I will propose them to the membership for approval voting, but I know where the majority stand currently on most issues. I just get stuck with writing the changes up and sending them out as President. Must have a majority vote to change anything. It is so hard to get everyone together for meetings these days it is easier to type up the proposed adjustments and send them out and let everyone read and vote by email at their own pace. We don't have many rules as it is .....just need to adjust a few things for the good of the club......most of us are like minded....

Our club has a mandatory meeting where dues are paid, officers elected and bylaw changes voted on. It is the same day every year so not much excuse not attending. If you aren't there you have to pay before meeting and you don't get a vote.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our club has a mandatory meeting where dues are paid, officers elected and bylaw changes voted on. It is the same day every year so not much excuse not attending. If you aren't there you have to pay before meeting and you don't get a vote.

I like that! May have to give it a try!

Trappertod

Six Pointer
We have a one doe per member rule in our club. From what I have seen it is mostly kids that shoot does. Most of our members choose not to shoot them. If I were to kill one it would be only if the freezer was empty. I think there is too many other variables from a business standpoint for the WRC to ever go back to the old days of deer hunting. I rather enjoyed the times of the "doe days" when I was younger. I am no trophy hunter, but I am no murderer either. I know guys that shoot everything they see and then talk junk about those that don't. I also know folks that will ridicule you over shooting small bucks. The bottom line is with the decrease in population of deer, the harvest needs to be cutback. I think all clubs need some sort of rules on harvest and I think it will vary from area to area based on the herd.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Our club stopped doe harvest on one of the blocks we manage a couple of years ago (3 years, I think), due to few deer sightings. Since then, we've seen a dramatic annual increase in deer sightings on that block. Restricting harvest makes a difference! We're contemplating opening up that block for a limited harvest this year (allowing youngsters that haven't killed a deer yet to kill a doe). On our other blocks, we limit harvest to 15 does (on about 3,000 acres), and the deer population seems pretty stable.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our club stopped doe harvest on one of the blocks we manage a couple of years ago (3 years, I think), due to few deer sightings. Since then, we've seen a dramatic annual increase in deer sightings on that block. Restricting harvest makes a difference! We're contemplating opening up that block for a limited harvest this year (allowing youngsters that haven't killed a deer yet to kill a doe). On our other blocks, we limit harvest to 15 does (on about 3,000 acres), and the deer population seems pretty stable.

Nice- thanks for the input- that is another good angle to approach it from .... certain number does per area-

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
We have no limits on does.... if our surveys shifted to a noticeable shortage of does then we would institute a limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We shoot every doe we see on our farms. Pretty much up to the hunter. Think it's a big part of our success in killing so many mature bucks.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We shoot every doe we see on our farms. Pretty much up to the hunter. Think it's a big part of our success in killing so many mature bucks.

How much land and how many hunters are you talking about? Just curious

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Heard a smart deer man (I'll have to think on who the heck it was) say that if you're not seeing as many bucks as does you have to many does,,,,,

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Heard a smart deer man (I'll have to think on who the heck it was) say that if you're not seeing as many bucks as does you have to many does,,,,,

We noticed the more does we killed the more bucks we saw. During the rut I might see 8-10 bucks on a good day. Best day this year I saw 13 different bucks on a morning sit.

Side note: I also did not shoot a buck off any of our farms this year.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We noticed the more does we killed the more bucks we saw. During the rut I might see 8-10 bucks on a good day. Best day this year I saw 13 different bucks on a morning sit.

Side note: I also did not shoot a buck off any of our farms this year.

well when your selective that's the outcome sometimes!! Good luck next year!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
didn't answer what I was asking, but that's OK,,,,I was just trying to understand

We both know the logic of a dead do has no fawns whether she dies in September or December. Unfortunately, common sense and critical thinking are optional on today's model of people.