Need to quiet AR-15 for hunting.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Going to use the AR for hunting. Probably ordering an 18"-20" heavy contour barrel that is threaded. Is it possible to quiet it enough to shoot without hearing protection using a thread protector? What about a linear comp?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Linear comp helps a lot but depends on the loads.

I was shooting a 300.blk and have popped a few deer I did not have time to get ears in.
that combo helped a bunch to cut down on it.
Bolt with 300.blk and LC was even better.

but no, it is not great on the ears.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Without going suppressed i think you are limited to comps that direct the blast forward like the Primary arms CQB

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I guess I have some options.
1. 18-20" barrel - Doing this anyway so not really an option but will cut down on blast noise since it is longer. All things being equal I assume the 20 is a better option for that reason.
2. Order unthreaded barrel. Maybe take it in to get a good crown. This is a good option because I won't have to look for a device to install on a threaded barrel. I don't think I will regret an unthreaded barrel. Don't see myself ever adding a flash hider. Down the road, maybe a suppressor but only if they become legal without stamp and the prices come down.
3. Threaded barrel but use a thread protector and maybe get a good crown put on it.
4. Linear comp - found some info on line but nothing definitive that indicates they are the solution to my problem.

mikep7m10

Six Pointer
I run a linear comp and I really like it. The gun had a brake on it (not flash hider) when I bought. Even with plugs and muffs it was loud. With just plugs and the linear comp, it's quite nice. There are several of them out there for about the same money as a brake. Personal opinion with no hard evidence to back it up : I think a linear comp will do more than a 20" barrel. And it's cheaper than a barrel and if you still want a 20" you can use it on your new barrel.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I just run a thread protector on my hunting 6.8 and it's not loud enough to make my ears ring when I shoot in the woods. 16" barrel.

Now my Tikka 300wm... Good lawd that thing will rock you...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Longer barrel and a linear compensatior pushing gas forward will be fine for a shot or two each season while hunting. It will still be loud and above safe levels.....but outside of a .22lr....they are all loud.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I run a plain knurled thread protector on my critter killer 16" AR and it isn't too bad for hunting use. I still always wear plugs when plinking/target shooting with it though.

<>< Fish

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I think I remember reading a sounds study done with a bunch of comps and everything added to the end of the barrel increased the noise to come degree even the linear ones.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Loading as low velocity as will cycle the action should quiet things way down. Just make sure to choose a bullet that will expand at lower speeds. My 357 mag rifle shooting 158 gr bullets at 1800 fps is not loud at all. It's the first rifle I've shot a deer with that didn't ring my ears and I was in a box blind.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Or just spend the money and get a pair of electronic muffs and wear them all the time while hunting. What we have done and I will NEVER fire another gun no matter what without some sort of hearing protection. Good electronic muffs can be had well below 100 bucks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Bringing this back up. Picked up a thread protector and went to the range. I was getting 2" groups before and, while this is subjective, I shot some 1.5" groups today. I shot one round without hearing protection, and, since I never shot it without protection with the flash hider, I can't say for sure, I feel like it was not as loud but still way too loud to shoot without protection. Still wondering if a 18-20" barrel would help. Been considering a Wylde barrel and thought about getting heavier profile and longer.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Getting it further from your ear will help. Longer barrel will help. Not sure how much, but distance is distance. You will also pick up some velocity.

Ive hunted with a 16" ar and it is pretty loud. A full load 357 is about the loudest i can imagine. The .223 shots seem very loud to me and "cracky".

A .30-06 seems loud but a deeper boom.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
What do you think about flash cans? Do you think they will sound quieter to the shooter over not having a device at all but the thread protector.
KAK-SLIMCAN-223-2.jpg

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I have one and it helps but buy a decent one. I have a cheap brake/can combo I got while I wait for a stamp and the can comes loose after a few shots.