Any Charlotte area folks handy with a wrench want to make some $$$?

Gmontag

Four Pointer
I bought an 83 Suburban with a 350 that needs some work. Mostly it's the carb and an oil leak, but I want to freshen the engine up a bit as well.

So here's the deal. My dad never worked on cars so I never learned how to mess with engines as a kid. I can do oil changes and simple tasks like that, but nothing this complicated.

I want to hire someone that knows about engines to help me fix this thing up. I'd pay them of course, but I'd like to do all of the work.
The idea is that I get comfortable and knowledgeable enough to pass it down to my kids eventually.

I'm looking to replace the major gaskets, PS pump, radiator, water pump, carb, timing chain, distributor plugs and wires, and a few other minor things.

I'd also provide beer as needed. Anyone interested? I'm in North Charlotte between Northlake and Concord Mills.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Stolen from some random shop. lol

$40/hr if you want me to work on it
$60/hr if you want to help me work on it
$100/hr if you already tried working on it

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I bought an 83 Suburban with a 350 that needs some work. Mostly it's the carb and an oil leak, but I want to freshen the engine up a bit as well.

So here's the deal. My dad never worked on cars so I never learned how to mess with engines as a kid. I can do oil changes and simple tasks like that, but nothing this complicated.

I want to hire someone that knows about engines to help me fix this thing up. I'd pay them of course, but I'd like to do all of the work.
The idea is that I get comfortable and knowledgeable enough to pass it down to my kids eventually.

I'm looking to replace the major gaskets, PS pump, radiator, water pump, carb, timing chain, distributor plugs and wires, and a few other minor things.

I'd also provide beer as needed. Anyone interested? I'm in North Charlotte between Northlake and Concord Mills.

Not worth it imo....especially with no knowledge. You will not become proficient working on engines overnight as its not something learned on the go. You will break stuff, cuss, kick, etc...its a very steep learning curve. Just trying to save you some heartache.

Gmontag

Four Pointer
Not worth it imo....especially with no knowledge. You will not become proficient working on engines overnight as its not something learned on the go. You will break stuff, cuss, kick, etc...its a very steep learning curve. Just trying to save you some heartache.

What exactly is not worth it? I didn't say that I have no knowledge. I know how to turn a wrench. I've done brakes, oil changes, replaced the radiator in my old TJ, replaced my control arms in my F150 with a friends help, put a lowering kit on my very first car, etc.

Why wouldn't I pay someone to help me do it (and gain the knowledge and experience) instead of paying some shop to do it and getting nothing out of it?

I'm not looking to become an expert mechanic, just a little better.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
What exactly is not worth it? I didn't say that I have no knowledge. I know how to turn a wrench. I've done brakes, oil changes, replaced the radiator in my old TJ, replaced my control arms in my F150 with a friends help, put a lowering kit on my very first car, etc.

Why wouldn't I pay someone to help me do it (and gain the knowledge and experience) instead of paying some shop to do it and getting nothing out of it?

I'm not looking to become an expert mechanic, just a little better.

Its not worth going into an old engine to replace seals/gaskets and not rebuild it. Its your vehicle though, good luck with it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're going to do all you mentioned you might as well put a rear main seal, and an oil pump in it while you are at it. You will have just about everything loose to do it and given it's age you might as well do a total reseal and gasket while you are in there.

You didn't mention if it is 4wd or not. If it is it isn't too much trouble to get to in frame, if it is 2wd, a little more of a pain.

Gmontag

Four Pointer
If you're going to do all you mentioned you might as well put a rear main seal, and an oil pump in it while you are at it. You will have just about everything loose to do it and given it's age you might as well do a total reseal and gasket while you are in there.

You didn't mention if it is 4wd or not. If it is it isn't too much trouble to get to in frame, if it is 2wd, a little more of a pain.

It's 4wd.

Actually, it's pretty much my dream truck. It's a 4 speed manual transmission (first is basically a granny gear) with seating for 6 (I have 4 kids) with manual windows and locks.

Gmontag

Four Pointer
I should also add that I'm not opposed to pulling the engine and swapping in a crate motor. I'd just rebuild the old 350 on my own time. It would take a lot longer, but I'd still get the experience and I'd have a running truck.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I work in North Charlotte and I am guessing I am really close but I drive down daily. I would love to help if I had the time but after the 1+ drive each way and 3 kids I just don't have it. I am not a pro by any means but I have tore into several engines and done a swap or three as well. I am sure you will find someone to help and if you get stumped let me know sometimes a new set of eyes is all you need.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
If I was closer I'd help. That said, your best bet is to go to the local community college with an auto shop program and audit some classes. It would likely cost you about the same as paying somebody to help you, and you'd get exactly what you want that way. In addition you'd have access to their shop and tools. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Gmontag

Four Pointer
If I was closer I'd help. That said, your best bet is to go to the local community college with an auto shop program and audit some classes. It would likely cost you about the same as paying somebody to help you, and you'd get exactly what you want that way. In addition you'd have access to their shop and tools. Just my $0.02.

The classes are during the day and I work a 9-5. I've thought about it though.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have next to no mechanical knowledge....lucky enough to have a grandpa, uncle and brother-in-law who are all mechanics....it is a good thing you are trying to do...especially passing it down to your kids. Might I suggest finding some automotive forums and putting that request out there?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have next to no mechanical knowledge....lucky enough to have a grandpa, uncle and brother-in-law who are all mechanics....it is a good thing you are trying to do...especially passing it down to your kids. Might I suggest finding some automotive forums and putting that request out there?

At what point is passing the knowledge to kids obsolete? At some point in the future, we'll all be driving electric cars. There may come a day kids don't even need to learn to drive since the car does all the driving.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
At what point is passing the knowledge to kids obsolete? At some point in the future, we'll all be driving electric cars. There may come a day kids don't even need to learn to drive since the car does all the driving.

That time is still farther away then most would care to admit. To many gas powered vehicles still on the road

Knowing how a motor works would not just help with working on an automobile. Could be helpful to at least be able to trouble shoot anything with a small gas engine. Even electric powered cars have brakes and stuff breaks....being able to work with your hands and learning to troubleshoot translates to more than just the current project you are working on....that will never become obsolete

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yank the motor out....power wash it and have at it....you tube has alot of info for you. You dang sure will not learn if you dont do it!! Swapping in a crate motor would be even easier!!

witler

Eight Pointer
If you are committed to keeping the vehicle, find a trusted garage and have the crate engine installed. If you are further committed on learning to 'turn wrenches' check out area community schools that offer mechanics classes, then you will be prepared to do future maintenance on your vehicle.

Gmontag

Four Pointer
Yank the motor out....power wash it and have at it....you tube has alot of info for you. You dang sure will not learn if you dont do it!! Swapping in a crate motor would be even easier!!

I think this is what I'm leaning towards now. I checked summit racing and they have crate engines for $1700 or so. Plus this can probably be done in a day.

witler

Eight Pointer
I think this is what I'm leaning towards now. I checked summit racing and they have crate engines for $1700 or so. Plus this can probably be done in a day.

The $1700.00 Summit engine may be a remanufactured engine. For around $3500.00 you can a NEW 350/300hp from Goodwrench complete with oil pan and chrome valve covers, chrome air filter and chrome timing cover. Turn Key.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I wouldn't get a remanufactured engine. Quality control isn't great with any inexpensive one. Even with a warranty you're still out a lot of time and labor expense.
Get a new gm.

Gmontag

Four Pointer
The $1700.00 Summit engine may be a remanufactured engine. For around $3500.00 you can a NEW 350/300hp from Goodwrench complete with oil pan and chrome valve covers, chrome air filter and chrome timing cover. Turn Key.

This is what I'm looking at.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...-performance&gclid=CPfipMPdydICFU8bgQod6BAOAg

Looks like it comes with everything except for Intake Manifold, Carb (needed a new one anyway), throttle body, distributor (already have a new one), water pump (already have a new one), flexplate, flywheel, air filter (already have a new one), spark plugs and wires (already have).

Whatever I can't take from the old 350 I'll just buy new. For $1550 plus free shipping, you can't really beat it.

I've read through it and it says all parts are new. I don't think this is a remanufactured engine.

I should change my thread to "Anyone want to make money swapping out an engine?".

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
If you do the rebuild, start shopping around for a machine shop. Cylinders will likely need to be bored, crankshaft will likely need to be turned and heads will likely need to be reworked(valves ground, new seats and new seals). Block will need a through cleaning and magnaflux with new freeze plugs.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure local GM dealerships stock any 350 engines today but in 1999 a long time ago now I bought a brand new crate engine long block which means the engine comes complete with everything except an intake, carburetor, alternator, water pump, harmonic balancer, etc..I paid about 1300 bucks for the new engine and installed it myself in my '86 Silverado..It came with a 50,000 mile 3 year warranty no matter who installed it...I put everything new back when I did the engine change out, new carb, radiator, hoses and everything else except a new alternator..I still run that truck today with the crate engine, it has never used any oil and has never given any problems except for a couple of ignition module's going out inside the distributor..At the time a rebuilt 350 was 1150 bucks, no way I would buy that rebuilt engine over the new one from GM...Good luck with your project..

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure local GM dealerships stock any 350 engines today but in 1999 a long time ago now I bought a brand new crate engine long block which means the engine comes complete with everything except an intake, carburetor, alternator, water pump, harmonic balancer, etc..I paid about 1300 bucks for the new engine and installed it myself in my '86 Silverado..It came with a 50,000 mile 3 year warranty no matter who installed it...I put everything new back when I did the engine change out, new carb, radiator, hoses and everything else except a new alternator..I still run that truck today with the crate engine, it has never used any oil and has never given any problems except for a couple of ignition module's going out inside the distributor..At the time a rebuilt 350 was 1150 bucks, no way I would buy that rebuilt engine over the new one from GM...Good luck with your project..
They were a little over $1800. two years ago depending where or what dealer you went through. No way I would go the reman route when you can get a crate motor for that.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
They were a little over $1800. two years ago depending where or what dealer you went through. No way I would go the reman route when you can get a crate motor for that.

Saw them yesterday from Summit for about $1550, can't beat that for a standard 350 engine like I would need and I think that included free shipping.. The tbi engines were a bit higher but not by much.

Gmontag

Four Pointer
Saw them yesterday from Summit for about $1550, can't beat that for a standard 350 engine like I would need and I think that included free shipping.. The tbi engines were a bit higher but not by much.

That's what I'm going to do. Anyone want to spend the day swapping an engine? I'll pay well.