Question on trapping coyotes

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Can you use game fish as bate to trap coyote in NC? I checked the regs but can't seem to find anything regarding bait. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nope.....

(r) It is unlawful to place processed food products as bait in any area of the State where the Wildlife Resources Commission has set an open season for taking black bears. For purposes of this subsection, the term "processed food products" means any food substance or flavoring that has been modified from its raw components by the addition of ingredients or by treatment to modify its chemical composition or form or to enhance its aroma or taste. The term includes substances modified by sugar, honey, syrups, oils, salts, spices, peanut butter, grease, meat, bones, or blood, as well as extracts of such substances. The term also includes sugary products such as candies, pastries, gums, and sugar blocks, as well as extracts of such products. Nothing in this subsection prohibits the lawful disposal of solid waste or the legitimate feeding of domestic animals, livestock, or birds. The prohibition against taking bears with the use and aid of bait shall not apply to the release of dogs in the vicinity of any food source that is not a processed food product as defined herein. Violation of this subsection constitutes a Class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00).

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where does it say you can not use a game fish as bate for coyote in the section you quoted? Am I missing something?

It doesn't and that particular rule has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Can you use game fish as bate to trap coyote in NC? I checked the regs but can't seem to find anything regarding bait. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks

as far as I know, yes - it has to be caught in a legal manner, and be of a legal size (if that pertains for the species),,,,,,,,,,but other than that, I have never seen (could be wrong as I am neither a lawyer nor a Wildlife Officer) where the state of NC mandates / restricts what you do with gamefish once they are rendered unto your possession,,,,,,,,

heck you can even pickle them!!!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
as far as I know, yes - it has to be caught in a legal manner, and be of a legal size (if that pertains for the species),,,,,,,,,,but other than that, I have never seen (could be wrong as I am neither a lawyer nor a Wildlife Officer) where the state of NC mandates / restricts what you do with gamefish once they are rendered unto your possession,,,,,,,,

heck you can even pickle them!!!

Thanks!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It doesn't and that particular rule has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked.

That rule doesn't specify if the bait is for trapping or hunting. It just says "bait".

I guess after re-reading the law plain fresh fish (not modified or processed) would be legal. Good luck in your trapping.

Last edited:

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I figured he was prepping for next season,,,,,,

In a debate with someone who claims you cannot use gamefish as bait for trapping. I couldn't find anything online confirming this. Just wondering if anyone heard of this or can point me in the direction of any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In a debate with someone who claims you cannot use gamefish as bait for trapping. I couldn't find anything online confirming this. Just wondering if anyone heard of this or can point me in the direction of any info.

Quite honestly the gamefish part makes me wonder, and I worked in that field. Being that they could come from a pond depending on species and they wouldn't be regulated there are a whole bunch of variables. I never had that issue come up nor had it posed to me.

If it were me and were planning on doing so I would contacting the warden in the area where I was going to be trapping and let him know and run it by him and get his/her input.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,,If it were me and were planning on doing so I would contacting the warden in the area where I was going to be trapping and let him know and run it by him and get his/her input.

always a good policy,,,,,,,,,

when we first moved to Almost Paradise here in Scotland County I was turning a corner and there was the local warden,,,,,different county from where I had lived. Stopped right there and chatted with him a few minutes,,,,got his card, told him were abouts I lived, and that I liked to have a face with the name in case I ever needed to talk with him.

them fellows will help keep you straight,,,and sometimes you'll ask them something that helps them out (researching something they weren't up on),,,,,,,,

anyhow,,,,forums are fun for banter,,,but I NEVER take my legal advice from this learned place,,,,,better from the fellow I'd likely meet in the field,,,,,,,,,,,

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I have never used a fish-based bait for coyotes. If I use bait at all, I use bobcat or groundhog that I have prepared myself. I usually just use a squirt of urine and a very small amount of one of the commercial lures. I also only use a very small amount of bait when I use it. With coyotes, you don't need a lot.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have never used a fish-based bait for coyotes. If I use bait at all, I use bobcat or groundhog that I have prepared myself. I usually just use a squirt of urine and a very small amount of one of the commercial lures. I also only use a very small amount of bait when I use it. With coyotes, you don't need a lot.
Personally I would think you would have every ginner within ten miles on your set using fish, that is why on the few times I set a live trap for coons I use a honeybun instead of sardines.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Personally I would think you would have every ginner within ten miles on your set using fish, that is why on the few times I set a live trap for coons I use a honeybun instead of sardines.

My target this year trapping was coyotes and bobcats. As I have said in previous posts, I'm new to trapping and still learning. I tried two different commercial baits this season with little success. Once I started using sardines in oil in three of my sets, I caught 3 coyotes within weeks. Caught just 1 opossum with the sardines.

The 2 red fox and bobcat were caught on commercial bait.

Discussing this with a buddy of mine is what brought up the topic of gamefish as bait.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My target this year trapping was coyotes and bobcats. As I have said in previous posts, I'm new to trapping and still learning. I tried two different commercial baits this season with little success. Once I started using sardines in oil in three of my sets, I caught 3 coyotes within weeks. Caught just 1 opossum with the sardines.

The 2 red fox and bobcat were caught on commercial bait.

Discussing this with a buddy of mine is what brought up the topic of gamefish as bait.

I have found if you want bobcats use your beaver carcasses, they can't pass them up.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

Only illegal if you poached them. No rules in NC regarding bait for trapping.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You mean like this? First one I've ever seen at a trap. Cat ate what he wanted and covered it up and came back till the yotes found it and drug it off.

01130010.jpg

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
always a good policy,,,,,,,,,

when we first moved to Almost Paradise here in Scotland County I was turning a corner and there was the local warden,,,,,different county from where I had lived. Stopped right there and chatted with him a few minutes,,,,got his card, told him were abouts I lived, and that I liked to have a face with the name in case I ever needed to talk with him.

them fellows will help keep you straight,,,and sometimes you'll ask them something that helps them out (researching something they weren't up on),,,,,,,,

anyhow,,,,forums are fun for banter,,,but I NEVER take my legal advice from this learned place,,,,,better from the fellow I'd likely meet in the field,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks, I'll check with the Game Warden before next season!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
No comment on using game fish for trapping bait but I'm here to tell you that carp shot while bow fishing will bring in coyotes like mad. Long ago it wasn't illegal or if it was no one I knew who bow fished knew about it but you just dumped the shot carp back into the lake. Have seen eagles, osprey and turtles chowing down on them within a short period. Remember they gotta eat too. LOL. Later I heard that it was illegal to dump the shot fish back in the lake so not wanting to ruin a good thing we started taking along a 50 gallon barrel. We buried lots of them in the garden. A couple of times I just dumped them on my coyote bait pile and I had more hawks and coyotes on my game camera than I though possible. Ironically I did not ever get a video of a coyote eating one of the "rotten" fish but they sure as heck liked to "take a bath" rolling in them. LOL.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
No comment on using game fish for trapping bait but I'm here to tell you that carp shot while bow fishing will bring in coyotes like mad. Long ago it wasn't illegal or if it was no one I knew who bow fished knew about it but you just dumped the shot carp back into the lake. Have seen eagles, osprey and turtles chowing down on them within a short period. Remember they gotta eat too. LOL. Later I heard that it was illegal to dump the shot fish back in the lake so not wanting to ruin a good thing we started taking along a 50 gallon barrel. We buried lots of them in the garden. A couple of times I just dumped them on my coyote bait pile and I had more hawks and coyotes on my game camera than I though possible. Ironically I did not ever get a video of a coyote eating one of the "rotten" fish but they sure as heck liked to "take a bath" rolling in them. LOL.

1 can of 99 cent sardines in oil got me 3 coyotes in my traps! They like fish in my opinion!

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Yes, you can use game fish as bait for coyotes...or any other animal while trapping.

I can guarantee you that whatever you're using, the game warden isn't likely to stick his arm shoulder deep down a dirthole set covered in fox pee and lure to find out what you're using. ;)

But yes, you can use game fish as bait.