Striper fishing at the 48 bridge?

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Planning on a couple of trips to the Roanoke River during the striper run this spring.

Generally I launch at Rockfish Dr. ramp with everyone else. But I've thought about launching at the 48 bridge on one of the trips.

Has anyone fished that area during the striper run?

Thanks

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I live less than 5 minutes from the 48 bridge and am actually sitting by the ramp enjoying the view and a cup of coffee. I wish i had time to be on the water now but other responsibilities are calling. I know the area decent and can tell you that unless the flow rate from the dam is really rolling well, you will find a ton of prop eating rocks. That area is not forgiving at all.
On low flow rates I can make my way around very slowly in my 12 foot skiff with a small motor. I still have to be very careful and carry a hand full of shear pins. There are some large rocky flats down by the papermill thar are as shallow as 6 to 8 inches at times. If the flow rate from the dam is in the 10 to 15000 CFM area I can make my way around in my larger center console but still have to be careful. You still will not be able to go too far down river on the higher flow rates unless you really know the routes well. The next problem is that the flow rates can change without notice and potentially leave you in a tight spot.
I will be happy to show you around if you want to meet up. Just let me know. Here is a website that gives projected flow rate from day to day. https://www.dom.com/community/lakes-and-recreation/roanoke-rapids-projected-flow-releases.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Rn is spot on....my wife grew up 1 mile from the bridge. I fish it out of a coleman scanoe (squareback) and you really need to know the water there. Not alot of room to go there as maybe 1 1/2 or 2 miles down the islands start and thus the water spreads out and is shallower. you can go above the bridge into the man made channel up to the dam but you have to run the south bank on the farther side from the ramp. you actually have to run between the bank and the first piling to get above the bridge unless the water is high. Small jons rule in that section. I was in my boat and took this pic. this is the size that excels in there but you still have to know the river.

View attachment 54618

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Thanks for the information RN and Mack. I'm running an 18' deep-V Crestliner so might be best just to launch at the Rockfish Dr ramp.

Last year when the water was high I was able to run up past the train trestle, carefully though. (still bumped a rock) Also way wanting to learn more about the river, but it can also be unforgiving when you take unnecessary risk.

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
Many years ago the river was extremely high and all of the fish pushed up into that area. This was when you could catch herring and use them for bait. The best few trips we ever had on the river. Monster fish everywhere with little effort.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the information RN and Mack. I'm running an 18' deep-V Crestliner so might be best just to launch at the Rockfish Dr ramp.

Last year when the water was high I was able to run up past the train trestle, carefully though. (still bumped a rock) Also way wanting to learn more about the river, but it can also be unforgiving when you take unnecessary risk.

Your Crestliner wouldn't make it at the 48 bridge without some serious water flowing. I run an 1866 AlumaCraft and can get well above the trestle anytime I want and get away from the crowds below the rock. I go behind the island but it takes nerves of steel to make the last push back into the river but it's doable....

23mako

Ten Pointer
Your Crestliner wouldn't make it at the 48 bridge without some serious water flowing. I run an 1866 AlumaCraft and can get well above the trestle anytime I want and get away from the crowds below the rock. I go behind the island but it takes nerves of steel to make the last push back into the river but it's doable....

There is truly nothing like hitting a rock in the river especially right below those rapids with so many people and some moving water. Nerves of steel is an understatement!

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
The water has been so low lately that is made me slightly nervous in January to put my 12x36 in in Weldon, and she only needs about 6 to 8 inches of water when on step. You are able to see rocks that I had never seen before.
From what I have heard, they are trying hard to create an excess of water in the lakes so when the rock fish start their run in full force, the water can be raised for an extended period of time.

Pic below is of the big Rock below Weldon that at times in rock fish season, you can drive over.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It is very low

You are likely correct on the reason - learned today how the eggs need moving water at a certain speed / volume

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I would not run an 18' v in there unless over 20,000 .

here is what a lot of people will not do in an open canoe. when the video cuts i actually jump in it was sooooooo hot that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipn0vJigbiU

^that flow is at 4000 cfm as that is the ideal flow I like but 4000 is low.

also me and Pete above the bridge

DSCF3861.jpg

Mack

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The water has been so low lately that is made me slightly nervous in January to put my 12x36 in in Weldon, and she only needs about 6 to 8 inches of water when on step. You are able to see rocks that I had never seen before.
From what I have heard, they are trying hard to create an excess of water in the lakes so when the rock fish start their run in full force, the water can be raised for an extended period of time.

Pic below is of the big Rock below Weldon that at times in rock fish season, you can drive over.

Is that the rock downstream below the island split?? The one at the treatment plant discharge?? If so, I can't say I've ever seen it THAT low. Hopefully they are stockpiling water for the spawning run....

23mako

Ten Pointer
That is amazing country. Hopefully this system moving through sunday will allow them to release some water.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Is that the rock downstream below the island split?? The one at the treatment plant discharge?? If so, I can't say I've ever seen it THAT low. Hopefully they are stockpiling water for the spawning run....

Yep it's the same. I have run that river every moth of the year from fishing, hunting or just joy riding. This is some of the longest period of time that i have seen with this level of low water that i can remember.
I will tell you that there is another cluster of rocks in the main channel on the other side of this one where everyone thinks it is safe to speed through. With the water at low levels, this cluster lays just below the surface waiting for just the right unaware boater to zip through there. When I get a few minutes I will snap a screen shot of the overhead for this area and mark it up with the danger zones for rocks. Hopefully it will help some our forum members avoid a costly mistake.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Thanks RN for the current river conditions and hazards. Usually I ride through the area ur talking about, hitting something like that at speed would ruin my year.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Yep it's the same. I have run that river every moth of the year from fishing, hunting or just joy riding. This is some of the longest period of time that i have seen with this level of low water that i can remember.
I will tell you that there is another cluster of rocks in the main channel on the other side of this one where everyone thinks it is safe to speed through. With the water at low levels, this cluster lays just below the surface waiting for just the right unaware boater to zip through there. When I get a few minutes I will snap a screen shot of the overhead for this area and mark it up with the danger zones for rocks. Hopefully it will help some our forum members avoid a costly mistake.
I use to spend alot of time on the river in the fall and that was the usual water level.
I always said if these people knew what the river looked like at normal levels they wouldn't even put there boat in...lol

I dont know the river that well but my old man could tell you every rock, sandbar and log from Gaston to Scotland Neck. I have seen the water so low that it took us probably 20 mins to make it to the big rock and even longer coming back upstream.

The Roanoke is a dangerous river and it doesn't discriminate so be careful.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
As MJ74 summed it up the Roanoke is a dangerous and unforgiving river. Many have been hurt and many have died while fishing and playing out there.
As promised I searched through my mapping apps until I found one with images of low water. I marked some of the dangerous rocks and shoals in red and the routes I take in blue. As a disclaimer, these routs in no way guarantees that you will not hit something, but they are the routes that I take.
The first picture shows the ramp. I will cross the river straight across from the ramp and hug the shore until I get around the curve. You still have to keep an eye out for the blown down trees and the deadheads along the bank.
The second pic shows the big Rock down below the first island. Look close to see the rock out in the middle of the main channel. When the water is up a little, this rock is under the surface by just a little.
The third picture shows a rocky area around the Halifax fishing club if you travel down that far.
The fourth pic shows some big rocks off the end of the dock.
I hope these pictures can help our forum members boat a little safer if planning to hit the Roanoke for rock fish this year. Good luck guys and be safe. If you see an 18 foot center console with a 70 yamaha and an NCH&F sticker on the left of the transom, give me a shout.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
WOW that is crazy. Never seen the river that low.
I have been a few times when the water level was below the boat ramp and the sandbar in the first curve downstream of the boat ramp was above water probably a foot or more.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
The three lake system from Kerr through to the Roanoke River is running at flood stage right now. The Roanoke Rapids lake dam is releasing water at 35,000 CFM. The river is up in the trees in most areas and is just shy of running through the parking lot at the Hwy 48 bridge. For those interested in fishing the upper river area, you could probably easily make it to Weldon from Gaston with little threat of rocks along the way.