Case Sizing

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Recently my reloading has come up with a couple issues. When I use the Lee Full Length Sizing Die, sometime the rod used to push out the old primer will remain stuck in the shell, even with quite a bit of lube. I then have to cut the case to get the rod out and try to get it back into the die with a rubber mallet, because the screw on the top of the die absolutely will not budge to loosen or tighten. But in the meantime I use the Neck Sizing Die. It works fairly well, except usually 1/4 of the shells I put through it come out with the neck too large, allowing the entire bullet to fall inside the case. How could I rectify these 2 issues? Also something else I noticed, my manual says the max load for 180gr bullet 30-06 is 56.5gr with this powder, however even with only 55.0gr of powder it will not allow the bullet to seat all the way, and even the crimping die can't keep it in the case. I know most of this is probably just user error. Thanks for the help guys.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would have to guess that you aren't setting the die correct. I've used Lee for years and not had those problems. I only ever used a very light amount of lube. What brand cases? What powder?

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
The cases are from Remington Core-Lok and the powder is IMR 4350. I've only been reloading for about 6 weeks now, but up until the last few days I'd been getting very consistent results with no problems. Also, on the bullet seating, out of the 5 rounds I just now loaded, one would only go to the very edge of the crimp ring, and one wouldn't even seat that far without crushing the powder. I thought maybe I had messed up the weight so I took them apart and re weighed the powder. Both were exactly 55.0 like the other 3 rounds.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
With that round the load data shows 52.5 to 56.5 max
52.5 shows to be the best load
If you are starting at 55 that is on the max end and use caution.

Hope you have tested them and working up to that.
Many things can make that a very hot load.
book shows 94% load density.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Some lube will get dry and sticks after build up it will pull the pin on a lee die.
Make sure you clean that die very good ad try again.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Well, cleaning the die would have been my first thought, too.

JJ, could you please clarify for us, do you mean that the actual decapping pin gets stuck in the flash hole or that the entire rod that holds the decapping pin and sizes the neck as it is with drawn gets stuck? If the latter, is it stuck at the neck or held by the decapping pin in the flash hole.

Am I correct in guessing that you are using a liquid lube? If so, the least amount of lube you can get away with is best. Lube has its own mass and demands its own space in the die. The thicker the coat of lube the more likely you are to have dimpled or wrinkled cases since the lube can't flow out of the way and excessive lube can actually increasethe chances of a case getting stuck in the die.

If the decapping pin is getting stuck in the flash hole the most likely cause is that the rod is set too far into the case and it is peening over the interior end of the flash hole. The decapping pin should be set no deeper than is needed to consistently push the spent primer out.

Are you loading these cartridges for more than one rifle and what is the action type?

Lance

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
There is definitely something not right here. You have to tighten the nut at the top of the sizing die extremely tight to get it to stay. You have to really wrench on it. I use IMR 4350 in 3006 with new Remy cases and 165 Sierra GK hollow points. The 55 gr of powder fit in the case. I worked it up in .5 grain increments from 53 grains. CCI BR primer. I would have to look at my COAL. It would be good to know where you are. I would be happy to help. Start low and work up.

Just a thought, have you checked your scale with a known check weight or even a projectile to make sure it's on. You can never be too careful. Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I've been working the load up, I started at 53.0 (the starting load according to my manual) and have been working it up .5 of a grain at a time. LanceR, it's the entire rod- and it gets held in my the neck. Right now it's just one bolt action rifle so the neck sizing die can hold me over, except sometimes it sizes the neck too large and the bullets won't seat in it, they just fall inside. I'm in Havelock. Sorry it took me a few days to get back on here my wife had some family issues we had to go take care of back home and I left my laptop here.