Lifelike Artificial Dead Crow Decoy ??

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Other than Google searches I've been doing...anybody know any place that makes a lifelike artificial 'dead crow' decoy?

Have a family of crows that have taken up residence in the woods behind the house for the 3rd year.
Taking over the back yard feeders, birdbath, ate Bluebirds from their nest box, etc.

If I lived out in the country I know how I'd get rid of them...but in this subdivision, I need a different approach.
The most effective method that keeps coming up is to hang a couple of "dead crows".

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
At first, I thought you said "dead cows" lol. I was gonna say, my landowner could hook you up for a few Thousand a piece lol.

If you can't find them, I would think a trip the Michaels Crafts store with your story might get some sympathy out of the folks who work there. I imagine a few dollars in black felt or plastic and some ladies with nothing better to do, thinking they are saving blue birds without harming another creature, could end up with a LOT of fake dead crows lol.

That's the first place I would start anyways.

2nd would be a taxidermist who is WAY behind on his crow manifest lol.

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Have you tried one of those artificial Owls you can buy at some farm supply store's? I see them on boat docks here around the beach to scare away Sea Gulls but I have no idea if they work or not or will work on Crow's..Wish I could get you a locomotive air horn, that would probably scare them away...

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
I used to have trouble with crows and all the other blackbirds until I learned that they all don't care for Safflower seed (best price at TSC). Costs more than regular mix, but cheaper in the long run to feed the songbirds. An added BONUS is that the tree rats don't like Safflower seed either.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Have you tried one of those artificial Owls you can buy at some farm supply store's? I see them on boat docks here around the beach to scare away Sea Gulls but I have no idea if they work or not or will work on Crow's..Wish I could get you a locomotive air horn, that would probably scare them away...

Crows hate owls with a passion. They will mob an owl decoy, it attracts them.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Why fool with a decoy when real ones are so easy to obtain. If you don't have a friend in the country, or don't want to go the pellet gun route; then try trapping. A baited steel trap set on a pole or platform works extremely well. We used to have a gang at my factory, that would go through the parking lot in the middle of everyone's shift and explore the back of all the pickup trucks. Crows are smart and become real brave when they encounter a gun-free zone. I set a conibear under by toolbox and threw a little popcorn in the bed. A piece of fur impaled on the trigger then sealed the deal. Within a month, they were avoiding my truck like the plague.

Bolt

Four Pointer
^^^^^^^^ I thought the same thing, hahaha

At first, I thought you said "dead cows" lol. I was gonna say, my landowner could hook you up for a few Thousand a piece lol.

If you can't find them, I would think a trip the Michaels Crafts store with your story might get some sympathy out of the folks who work there. I imagine a few dollars in black felt or plastic and some ladies with nothing better to do, thinking they are saving blue birds without harming another creature, could end up with a LOT of fake dead crows lol.

That's the first place I would start anyways.

2nd would be a taxidermist who is WAY behind on his crow manifest lol.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I just replied to the thread about hearing protection. Same solution applies to you.. A suppressor! a 22 suppressor with CCI Standard Velocity is stupid quiet. Less than a bb gun. That or you get some cci quiet ammo. That or a Scarecrow!

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
Other than Google searches I've been doing...anybody know any place that makes a lifelike artificial 'dead crow' decoy?

the NCWRC has dead buzzard decoys at several boat ramps around here.....maybe they could point you in the right direction, if you can find the right person to talk to.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
7" section of 3" corrugated drain pipe.

That's what I use for decoys when pass shooting with shotgun and caller.

Won't pass the muster if they land right next to it though.
Those things are pretty sharp critters.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Have a family of crows that have taken up residence in the woods behind the house for the 3rd year.
Taking over the back yard feeders, birdbath, ate Bluebirds from their nest box, etc.

If I lived out in the country I know how I'd get rid of them...but in this subdivision, I need a different approach.
The most effective method that keeps coming up is to hang a couple of "dead crows".

Some good thoughts so far and I appreciate the time posting them.

Too many houses all around in every direction to risk any kind of firearm for fear of a ricochet, etc.
The noise approach like air horns would be too bothersome to neighbors.

The safflower seed replacement for birdseed / sunflower seed came up a couple time in various Google searches;
But a lifelike 'dead crow' hanging in the vicinity was repeatedly the top recommendation by far.

There is an excellent quality one finished off with actual crow feathers available though Amazon but its $70 !!!!!

The idea of some sort of craft store or home made one might be worth a try from a $$$ POV.
But the articles also said if its not realistic crows will know.

Could probably buy a normal full size crow decoy ( sold all mine a couple years ago )
Then make / attach outstretched wings...hanging out & down like they would if a dead crow was hung by its feet.
( be great if I could get the wings off a road kill crow )

Last edited:

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I know it doesn't help you now...

My wife found some after Halloween on clearance at either AC Moore or Michaels. They looked pretty real. Not quiet as big as a real crow but pretty close. They even had "real" feathers.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know it doesn't help you now...

My wife found some after Halloween on clearance at either AC Moore or Michaels. They looked pretty real. Not quiet as big as a real crow but pretty close. They even had "real" feathers.
Sent from wherever I was at the time...
Thanks...and Google turned up a lot of Halloween related ones like that...most were very small.
Occasionally a mid-sized one turned up and the price really jumped up with size.
But I'll specifically go check Moore and Michaels websites just in case

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In learning that most of the commercial Halloween Crows are made using black painted chicken feathers.
Could make one myself by attaching a couple of black spray painted chicken wings to a crow decoy.

I can order a decoy...but need a full set of chicken wings, LOL

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
My son did one by buying one of the decoy doves and then spray painted it black.. When he put it in the top of short pines the crows came right to it.. Now for a dead one, I would suggested getting some kinda wings on it and hand up side down in tree...

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I googled it and a place called Farmshow.com has a dead crow decoy that's has stretched out wings..the decoy is made by perfectmurderdecoys.com.

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I googled it and a place called Farmshow.com has a dead crow decoy that's has stretched out wings..the decoy is made by perfectmurderdecoys.com.

Thanks...found that one too...suggestion is to use two of them...$55 each !
:)

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Hard to find a crow that has been ran over, roadkill. Crows set up lookouts along the highway and when a vehicle approaches they holler. ...

Carr Carr carr

Could not help it.. :)

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I like the trap idea. Never thought of that.
I've always had bluebird houses, and the crows have always harassed my songbirds in the yard. I smoke one with the .22 and the rest go crazy. If they see one of their own die they will leave you alone for the rest of the season. Longer if they've been hunted before.
Since shooting one is not an option for you, I bet the trap would work just as well. It would be fun to try anyway.
Joe

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Look intoa hastings metro barrel extention, basiclly a 30" or so screw in choke that cuts down noise. They say when used with federal subsonic shotgun shells its under 70 or so decibels. Get one and take a day off work and wait til midday or so and go to poppin