February quail hunting

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Did a couple of "self guided" quail hunts over at Drake last month. Haven't had a chance to share. It's a fun way to hunt if you have your own bird dog. Birds are in in the woods in moderately thick cover and you don't know where they are, so you're on your own to find them. It's the closest thing to the wild bird hunting I did growing up. Fun way to spend a Saturday morning, and it's by far my favorite wild game in the skillet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 043_n.jpg
    043_n.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 356_n.jpg
    356_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 357_n.jpg
    357_n.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 759_n.jpg
    759_n.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 18

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We just had our annual preserve hunt on Thursday, and I've got a bunch soaking in the fridge. What is your favorite recipe?

We hunted behind a GSP, but hopefully next year, I will have my Boykin trained well enough to take him out.

Last edited:

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
We just had our annual preserve hunt on Thursday, and I've got a bunch soaking in the fridge. What is your favorite recipe?

We hunted behind a GSP, but hopefully next year, I will have my Boykin trained well enough to take him out.

I don't fry a ton of food anymore; however, my exceptions are catfish and quail. Egg wash, seasoned flour and peanut oil for quail breasts can't be beat. One thing I've started doing is fileting the meat off the breast bone before frying which gives you 2 boneless pieces. Fries more evenly and less likely to dry out.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Beautiful dog, we're getting a Boykin pup in June. Just out of curiousity, would you recommend a hunt like that to help train a young dog?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want some training with live birds/dead ducks, for your boykins, here is a club that you can join that does some kind of training/trials every other month, except summer months. I joined a few years ago, and it's only $35 per year. You do have to pay for the ducks and birds at each event, however. It's run out of Ayden NC. I can be there in about half an hour from my house.

http://www.midatlanticboykin.com/

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
That looks like a good time. It is always nice to see a dog doing what it is supposed to be doing. That is a nice bag and a tasty looking meal. I think the next bunch I get will get the deep fry treatment.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fried some up last night...

I wish they were closer, Soilman. Someone else was telling me about an opportunity in Ayden to train. It may be the same place, but that's a pretty good haul from here.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Beautiful dog, we're getting a Boykin pup in June. Just out of curiousity, would you recommend a hunt like that to help train a young dog?

I've done it with my GWP pup. But, if I'm honest, I did it for me as much or more than the dog. The dog had a blast though, and it may or may not have helped his development but certainly didn't hurt it.

The thing to remember is, don't get mad at the dog for being a puppy and certainly don't get mad if the dog doesn't know what you're mad about. Meaning, you might have to play keep away to get some of the quail back and deal with some chasing of birds. Not the end of the world but if that's going to make you scream and yell skip it.

This was Gus at 5 Months old or so.
Gus.jpg

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Fried some up last night...

I wish they were closer, Soilman. Someone else was telling me about an opportunity in Ayden to train. It may be the same place, but that's a pretty good haul from here.

It's not the same place skyhawk........

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Darkthirty, is the place you are thinking about called Arrowhead Hunting Preserve? If so, it's just down the road towards Hwy 43 from the place I mentioned.

Gadwall

Ten Pointer

Thanks! I'm a big fan of lots of birds when training. Builds lots of drive and keeps the pup interested where bumpers can eventually get boring. But to do an actual hunt like I was describing is probably best once the pup is force fetched and really good on obedience. Then it will be a fun experience for everyone. But spaniels love upland hunting and it should come very natural to your pup if he has good genes!