New NCWRC (possible) Rule Changes

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My hunt club had it's annual meeting yesterday. The local warden came and spoke to the club. He was telling us about rules that NCWRC was considering for next year.

The big one was State Wide one or two buck limit. He said it will definitely be no more 4 buck limit in east. He also said no more unlimited doe tags. We will get 4 and be able to buy 2 more.

He said they are considering a 5 1/2 week rifle season to end the third week in January. Muzzleloader to drop back to one week.

It will be interesting to see how much of this actually happens.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm sure the rabbit and other small game hunters will love this. First I'm hearing of it and I'd think it would be proposals they'd float at a public hearing first but who knows

SM270

Ten Pointer
I would love to see it go 1 buck state wide with only 4 doe tags. But who is to say that would stop anything.People could still not tag the animal they kill. It would be great thought make folks be pickier when it come to killing a buck. I like the idea of dropping ML back to 1 week which give bow hunters a longer season and I wish they would do rifle hunting down to 2-3 weeks instead of how long it is now. Lastly I think it would be great to extend the season on into January.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
According to the warden there are four different plans they are considering. They are based on the deer hunting survey from last year and the fact that harvest numbers have been in decline over the past several years.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seems odd that changes that big haven't been brought up for proposal at the hearings. I don't see a 5 1/2 week rifle season going over well in the Eastern district. It would be interesting to see what it did to the deer numbers though..

I bet crossbow sales would go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Well, if they try this I hope they have larger buildings to have the public hearing for proposals in 2018 here in the east. It will be standing room only and they will be meet by great opposition.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Time to end weapon specific seasons at least on private land. 5 1/2 week seems illogical when ncwrc has no current seasons that start in the middle of the week. Time for 2 buck limit statewide.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man, I can't wait to see what the if you shoot does late you are murdering 2 babies crowd has to say about this. SMH

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Time to end weapon specific seasons at least on private land. 5 1/2 week seems illogical when ncwrc has no current seasons that start in the middle of the week. Time for 2 buck limit statewide.

I think some seasons in the West or North West start on Monday instead of Saturday.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think some seasons in the West or North West start on Monday instead of Saturday.
Yup but my understanding is part of that was historical tradition. This would mean and opening or a closing in the middle of the week. I'm just not sure how the average hunter is going to feel come November rut and the best they can do is watch these bucks running around while the hunters are chasing squirrels.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It hasn't been said, but I guess you mean a shorter gun season, not just rifle season, which will also greatly impact the hound hunters. Don't think they will be too much in favor of that.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yup but my understanding is part of that was historical tradition. This would mean and opening or a closing in the middle of the week. I'm just not sure how the average hunter is going to feel come November rut and the best they can do is watch these bucks running around while the hunters are chasing squirrels.

Yeah this will be waaay bigger then Sunday hunting.. Can you imagine how crazy the woods would be for those hypothetical 5 1/2 weeks?? I'm sure we would see a rise in archery hunters, but a lot guys like myself who only occasionally muzzleload & typically only have weekends to hunt during gun season, it'll be crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I would really enjoy seeing the ML season for the east start Nov 10th and run for a couple weeks and then open up rifle for the rest of the season. If they extend it into January, I'm fine with that. That alone will take pressure off the duck hunting.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The statewide 2 buck limit has been proposed before and roundly rejected by hunters in the east.

The bonus tags are established by law in the legislature and there is no bill to repeal them.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldnt mind a statewide 2 buck limit but I'm not crazy about a 5 1/2 week rifle season unless you could use a muzzleloader the rest of the time.
I couldnt care less about a bow and would hate to lose weeks of gun season for more bow.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
May be a dumb question but is the proposed "rifle" season for the entire state?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You are right, it was a dumb question. You know better.

You got an actual answer or just the ignorant one you gave?

If I were you I'd worry about the impact to coon and other small game seasons.

Last edited: