Under bite

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
IMG_3682.jpg

This small buck has a noticeable under bite. First time I has seen a deer like this. Have any of you run across this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen it a lot. When we had a deer heard that was way over populated, where I hunt, it was quite common.

Here is a picture of one I killed in the 2015 - 2016 season.

Attachments

• DSCN0013.jpg
    DSCN0013.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Castle Oak

This is a recessive genetic trait that is usually linked to piebaldism. It is not due to inbreeding. Inbreeding is not an issue in deer just deer hunters.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just shows that you can't believe all the information you hear. I had understood that it was a genetic trait that was the first sign leading to piebalds and was a result of overpopulation which lead to interbreeding. Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet and hear on the TV news.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I killed this buck a few yrs ago. He was super skinny and I noticed when he came out he kept turning his head sideways to eat the peanut vines. After killing him it made sense why. He couldn't nibble str8 on because of his under bite.
On a side note, I have pics of him the previous year as a 7 pt. Looks almost identical to the season I killed him as an 8. Gained very little width or mass, just an extra point. Like I said, very skinny compared to others around him. Wondering if the underbite effects growth. I would think it somehow limits food consumption. He wa at least a 2 1/2, I believe more than likely a 3 1/2 year old.

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpg
    IMG_3825.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11
  • SUNP3487.jpg
    SUNP3487.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Higher population of deer, high number of deer in a small area and many of these deer will be related. Add in recessive genes in this population and there is a higher probability of the traits showing up. That is not to say these traits could not show up in areas with low deer densities as long as the recessive genes are there.

Last edited: