oppinions please ....

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
On a piece of property you've never turkey hunted , but you know they are there because of trail cam pics and live sightings while deer hunting , without going in before season opens and pushing /or calling the birds how would you begin.....

The land has a beautiful river bottom , a couple of last seasons food plots , plenty of wooded areas with hardwoods and a couple of good stands of older pines......only real drawback is there is just one or 2 ways in an out....thanks , I'll sit back and listen....

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seriously- i would work in as far as possible to one of the plots- set up and just see where they are on the roost. You could do this well before the season- you retired folks have plenty of time!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
On a piece of property you've never turkey hunted , but you know they are there because of trail cam pics and live sightings while deer hunting , without going in before season opens and pushing /or calling the birds how would you begin.....

The land has a beautiful river bottom , a couple of last seasons food plots , plenty of wooded areas with hardwoods and a couple of good stands of older pines......only real drawback is there is just one or 2 ways in an out....thanks , I'll sit back and listen....

How do you like to hunt?

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How old are the pines? Pine plantations provide good windbreaks if it's cool or windy so they may roost in or near them. Are the pines big enough to provide roost limbs? If so, enter the area away from them to avoid busting them off their roosts.

If it's dry and there are plots they'll often fly down into or very near them......but they won't enter the plots on dewy mornings until the vegetation dries off.

If it's raining just go set up on a plot and wait..........they'll be there soon!!

Scotty gave good advice on setting up near a plot and listen to locate them. Be in there well before daylight tho!

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
How do you like to hunt?

I like going early setting up an listening , then maybe call sparingly....never had any luck running & gunning , my back problems limit me quite a bit. On this piece I'm a little leery of trying to roost birds , since there is a very limited ability to access that river bottom. That is where most of the sightings were , there and the last food plot.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I would set up on a logging deck between the blocks of pines and sit tight for quite some time, particular if its drizzling.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with the get in early part.....not nearly as likely to bump them off the roost if its pitch black.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
How old are the pines? Pine plantations provide good windbreaks if it's cool or windy so they may roost in or near them. Are the pines big enough to provide roost limbs? If so, enter the area away from them to avoid busting them off their roosts.

If it's dry and there are plots they'll often fly down into or very near them......but they won't enter the plots on dewy mornings until the vegetation dries off.

If it's raining just go set up on a plot and wait..........they'll be there soon!!

Scotty gave good advice on setting up near a plot and listen to locate them. Be in there well before daylight tho!

OK , I'll try setting up in the thicker stuff that lines that last food plot opening morning then...... thank you both !

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I'd have to go on a few listening trips before the opener...just to see what I could hear.

early morning , on a high spot on the place ? How close to where the birds may be roosting ? I know , lots of questions , but that's how you learn stuff..

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
early morning , on a high spot on the place ? How close to where the birds may be roosting ? I know , lots of questions , but that's how you learn stuff..

In your country, with no leaves on the trees you should be able to hear them for several hundred yards.............that's close enough to get!!

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I'd walk a decent ways in before daylight and then do some locator calls at first light to find birds, and then work to them.....if I don't here any, I'd head to the plots and hunt til 10-11 and if no gobble come home

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I'd walk a decent ways in before daylight and then do some locator calls at first light to find birds, and then work to them.....if I don't here any, I'd head to the plots and hunt til 10-11 and if no gobble come home

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

thank you sir !

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
listen some mornings as long as you can to see what they are doing after they fly down. you can sometimes keep tabs on them with a crow call after flydown.

dont worry about spooking them. i would yelp or cutt with a turkey call to see where the are poing after flydown. Your optimum, deal would be if they roost close to that plot. that is a slam dunk.

If you go in early enough in the dark you can get really close.

I have no clue but would bet that the center of their world is between the river and the food plot.

Good Luck!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You have cameras up now if so that will take all the guess work out of it also what kind food plot we talking about size and what is in it? If its short grass/clover, you'll want a camera there. If you have this place to yourself this is no brainer what to do let them do there thing with little to no bumps but about 1st April I would have to go listen on calm morning you won't need any calls they will gobble on there own but you could always use a hooter won't hurt anything after you hear them of course be at leats 150-200 yards away let them hit ground then in about hour hit crow reason is so you'll know what direction they are headig that is about all the info you'll need with camera pics. Thre is about 75% chance if not bothered they will use same pattern most every day after April 1st till opeing with nice plot they'll get comfortable strutting there probably as soon as sun starts to hit after roosting in that river bottom. Easiest way to kill a turkey is to be where he is going. One of hardest ways is to try call him away from bunch hens. I would for sure listen though just in case they aren't there you can make alternate plans just because you seen them in fall/winter or even a week ago donesn't mean they will be there during turkey season.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Definitely may not be where you think they are come opening day. A quick check just to listen or check trail cameras can help keep tabs on where they are roosting and feeding.

mattharris0414

Start going to the property right before dark and using an owl call to get them to gobble and see where there roosting at. Then make your entry plan.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
My .02.

Don't try to out-think a turkey. Find where they're using and focus on those areas. Don't think like a person or a deer about food plots etc.

ABC

A) locate a bird
B) set up on the bird
C) call in the bird and kill him